What's new

DLP & SXRD ?s (1 Viewer)

Eric Witschen

Auditioning
Without going into a ton of details, I have decided to go with either a DLP RPTV or POSSIBLY (if it becomes affordable) one of those new Sony Grand WEGA KDSR50XBR1 50" SXRD for my next home theater. My only requirements are that the screen be at LEAST 50" with a preference of 60+, and I want but am not completely sold on the whole 1080p thing. Looking to the future, I guess 1080p is important, but if anyone has any thoughts or convincing points for or against, please enlighten me on them. I will be viewing mostly HD content and DVD (HDDVD when available). I have a budget of $2500 but can go to 3k if it makes a big enough difference. I will need it by January 1st, so take into account either new availabilities or price drops by that time if possible. Thanks ahead of time for all the info, and I will reserve my thoughts until I hear some of your opinions.

Also, I was planning on buying it from a reputable ONLINE dealer and possibly purchasing an extended warranty. Please do not factor the extended warranty cost into the final price 2500-3000 and offer your opinions on warranty as well.

After I get some feedback here I'll delve into my media PC idea etc etc. Thanks!!!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I would say that on paper the Sony SXRDs are my dream system, EXCEPT that they dont take 1080p input. To me, it is pure folly to spend $4k on something that isnt going to ever display anything at the native resolution of the set, 720p and 1080i will all be converted to 1080p. It may look great but it would really frost me when I get a PS3/BluRay and not be able to have pixel perfect display of pure 1080p content.

Sam

Eric Witschen

Auditioning
Defenately a drawback...so any suggenstions on either the DLP side or LCoS?

What about the JVC HD-61Z886? It's LCos but unfortunately 720p...but also large and affordable...if there were something in a reasonable price range that supported and displayed 1080p then i would be swayed but im feeling like it might not be so.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

I believe that HDTV is what JVC calls D-ILA. I haven't really got a handle on what variation of LCos that is however but I do like the picture. The inputs and features with a 61" screen might make it a good choice for the OP.

Chris

Eric Witschen

Auditioning
So it comes down to bigger and cheaper with a cut in res or smaller more expesive with 1080p...how long do you really think it will be until anything more than 720p will make a difference. I figure if its 3 years I'd be in the market for a new tv then anyway.

I'm on info overload...now after reading a few posts about the sony 3lcds like the Sony WEGA KDF-E60A20 60" LCD Projection TV, I'm becoming interested in them as well.

Any opinions on that 3LCD vs. the D-ila vs. the SXRD (keep in mind price) vs. ahhhhhh!!!

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
dila and SXRD are LCOS, just their variations. The differences between the two are quite minimal (at least their 1080p chips), compared to the difference between those and DLP or LCD.

I'm a CRT guy, but I really really like the LCOS stuff right now. 1080p panels and good pixel packing make for the only display I've seen that hit's the smoothness of a CRT, and can support the close viewing angles of a CRT. IT is also very very nice if you like to game or do PC stuff because it has a sharpness superior to a CRT for those applications. What LCOS lacks though, is on/off CR compared to DLP (and especially CRT). However, in my opinion the smoothness makes up for that, because when I am watching an LCOS from a CRT perspective, I only notice that the blacks aren't there. When I watch DLP od LCD, I notice *both* that the blacks aren't there, AND that I'm seeing pixels.

So that's my take on the matter, but you really should go spend time with a calibrated display of the models you're considering in a proper environment to see what you think and where your money should go. I'm still of the opinion that CRT RP is the best bargain and picture going, unless of course you are doing gaming.

Eric Witschen

Auditioning
I wont be doing any gaming as i do that on my pc...anyway..any particular models of crt that i can check out to compare? also most lcos that i find are 720p native not 1080 anything except for the whole "supports" thing. so are there any lcos recomendations that have native 1080p in my price range and size limits other than the 50" sxrd (which really isnt in my price range as of yet)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks