What's new

Anyone Have The Mordaunt Short 502 THX with the built in Subs? (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
They aren't so well known because they aren't really advertised much in the US. I think they make excellent speakers. I have the 902s in my bedroom system and I am very happy with them. Excellent midrange and nice airy highs. Have you listened to them yet? If not, I'd recommend you do.:emoji_thumbsup:

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
I read somewhere that the 908 (non-THX version of the 502) sounds better for music... and is hundreds of dollars less expensive. Can you audition them together?

Elliot_W

Agent
I've done an A/B on the M-S 908s vs Paradigm Studio 60s in Toronto...to me, no comparison....the 908s were much more refined for my tastes...about the same price as the 'digms too.

I ended up with Monitor Audio Silver 8s, only because I was not sure of placement of the 908s given those passive subs...but I could have easily taken the chance with them.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
I did an audition at Kromer with the Studio/60s and MS-906s a couple of years ago and found the Mordaunt-Shorts to be superior to the Paradigms, and they cost less to boot. Did you try the 906's? They are smaller than the 908s and Studio/60s, but since they don't have a built in sub they are probably more directly compatible to the /60s than the 908s.

I saw a Monitor Audio pair (Silver 6?) but they were a little out of my price range.

How did the Silver 8s compare to the 908s?

Elliot_W

Agent
I did the auditioning at Kromer too. The 908s and Paradigms were set to the same amp (forget which one), but the Monitor Audios were hooked up to a different amp, so I cannot give a truly direct comparison.

The Monitor Audio Silver 8s were hooked up to an Audio Refinement Complete...and they actually sounded bright to me compared to the 908s and 60s, very detailed, but fatiguing to my ears (my wife's as well). If I had to, I would say they were more forward than the 'digm 60s and the M-S 908s...in essence, the least typical British-sounding of the three I auditioned! They were on clearance given the new RS line has come out, and I thought I'd take the chance on them given the price and what I've read....so far my NAD A/V receiver has warmed them up considerably....maybe even too much.

Fact is, I could have gone with the 60s, 908s, or Silver 8s...just so happened the Silver 8s were cheapest given the clearance. But I still keep thinking about those 908s...a very refined, musical speaker.

Funny thing, Paradigm used to be the no-brainer choice in Canada, but with their price increases on V3 Studios, one has to consider the British imports carrefully which are now in the same price league. I think Paradigm has really taken advantage of the strong N. American demand for them...no way should the M.A. Silver 8s sell for cheaper than the 60s...even on blow-out. I thought I'd be buying Paradigm forever...I also wanted to audition PSB Stratus Silvers, but PSB has done away with their Stratus line and bumped up the pricing on the Image series! Terrible! These Canadian speaker companies are losing their value proposition IMO...

Swan and Quad 22 was also on my short list, but hard to find...and the B&W dealers in T.O. are too snooty for me to even consider, not that I was ever in love with Kromer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks