What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... Hondo & "McLintock!" (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
With Paramount Home Entertainment's release of two more of the John Wayne - Batjac titles, Mr. Wayne's devout followers (and I consider myself one) can begin to breath easy, as most of his major films of the 1950s and 1960s have now made it to DVD.

Hondo was originally released in the waning days of the 3-D craze in 1953, and is seen here on DVD in its 2-D ( probably the left eye) form.

Mr. Wayne, who appeared in some 175 feature films, 80 of which preceeded his rise to stardom in John Ford's Stagecoach in 1939, makes his first appearence in an Eastman Color production in Hondo, his only in 3-D, and his final film in the classic 1.37 aspect ratio.

Hondo has been held in the Batjac vaults for years, and its release on DVD is cause for celebration.

Likewise, the first authorized release of "McLintock!" is great news for fans. Finally this film can be viewed in proper quality, produced from original film elements, as opposed to the several garbage purported public domain releases which have cluttered the DVD landscape heretofore.

Those who have purchased the earlier versions can now replace them with this beautiful new release.

Both of these films were penned by screenwriter James Edward Grant, who was responsible for numerous other Wayne productions.

The other extremely positive news here, is that Paramount has priced these releases at "mass market" prices -- each is available on line at just over $9, with release set for October 11.

This also leaves just a couple of non-Batjac holes in the Wayne chronology, most notoriously The Wings of Eagles and The Quiet Man, for which there is no DVD worth viewing at this time.

Paramount has been giving these films a royal treatment at a price which makes them almost a gift. Both films are preceeded by introductions by Leonard Maltin, which set the stage for proper viewing.

Hondo is inclusive of a commentary by Mr. Maltin, historian Frank Thompson, and actor Lee Aaker, who has a role in the film.

"McLintock!" is replete with commentaries by Mr. Maltin, Mr. Thompson, Ms. O'Hara, Stephanie Powers, Michael Pate, Michael Wayne and director Andrew McLaglen, son of veteran actor Victor McLaglen.

Each DVD also includes more documentary and research material. As I noted, at $9, these are a steal.

Did I mention that both look and sound terrific?

RAH

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
I hope Paramount learns a lesson from the excellent extras the Wayne estate has provided for these releases -- as well as the big sales of the High and the Mighty DVD -- and starts putting some special features on its own catalogue titles from the '50s and '60s.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Thanks for the preview.

I won't have time to look at these until Monday night - I'm leaving for Acadia National Park tomorrow, and leaving the TV behind...

But I'm right-eyed! :D

-Scott

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Sorry, Scott...

Like most other 3-D films, you must use your left eye for 2-D viewing.

Upon your return, you're in for a treat.

RAH

StevenFC

Second Unit
Methinks RH got a little sun-stroked out there on the left coast recently. :D

Glad to finally see Hondo on DVD. That movies a hoot. Especially the Geraldine Page character. "McLintock!" has its charms also. At least people won't be forced to buy those HORRENDOUS and ABOMINABLE PD releases any longer.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is great news to read because both of these films are among my favorite Wayne films. I am also looking forward to the dvd release of Batjac films not starring Wayne. A batch of those films are being released on dvd in December.

Crawdaddy

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

jim_falconer

Screenwriter

You are so correct about these two films. "The Wings Of Eagles" has never been available in anything but a poor VHS pan-and-scan version, while "The Quiet Man" has never had a clear print since it's release many years ago into the home video market. Would be wonderful if these two films could get the deluxe treatment as well.

And thanks for the quick review...I'm certainly looking forward to obtaining Hondo and McLintock!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I suspect as soon as The Quiet Man rights revert to Paramount, a spiffed up version will show up under The John Wayne Collection banner ..... one can only hope.

Valerie

Auditioning
I'm happy to hear these two films are getting a proper DVD treatment with some nice extras as well. But what about "3 Godfathers"? This film was a bit of a departure from Wayne's usual westerns and I've always enjoyed it.

I believe MGM owns this film. Any hope of seeing this released on DVD?

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Good to see some love for the Duke. I always loathe the ones that seem fit to say that he was a terrible actor. He may have played variations of the same archetype frequently, but he did it extremely well. And there's a reason he's one of the most revered and remembered actors ever. I think he has the greatest on screen presence of anyone in the field, ever.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

This film belongs to Warner now and it might be part of the Wayne/Ford collection that Warner is talking about releasing next year.

Crawdaddy

M

Member 323668

"3 Godfathers": There is a perfect HD-based transfer available from Warner in the UK.

amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001XLY7E

Opi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Felix Wieme
DVD Pacific already shipped both DVDs to me, to wait can be such a pain in the a$$ :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks