-

Photo
- - - - -

Donuts!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted September 28 2005 - 09:22 AM

There's a place (in my town), that has the most INCREDIBLE donuts! I was bragging about them to the people I work with (since I work quite a ways from home and they don't know of this place).

Anyways, they were (obviously) skeptical about my boasting since so many people boast about great donut places. Well, I brought in a box and let me tell you, everyones jaws were on the ground. They couldn't believe how awesome they were!

Now, everyday, they bug me "When are you bringing in donuts!!!!" - I feel like a crack dealer - LOL

So, come to find out, Epicurious has them listed in their top 10 Best Donut Shops in the US! Posted Image
http://www.epicuriou....s/donuts#nells

If any of you CT-ites want awesome donuts, Neil's NY Style Donuts ROCK!!!

Seriously, I used to eat their Jelly donuts with a knife and fork. They're massive and hefty! Posted Image

#2 of 23 Richard Travale

Richard Travale

Producer

• 3,411 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island, Canada

Posted September 28 2005 - 10:55 AM

Quote:
If any of you CT-ites want awesome donuts, Neil's NY Style Donuts ROCK!!!

Hah, that's hilarious.
Hey everyone, if you want great New York style doughnuts, go to Connecticut Posted Image

I also hear they have great Chicago style deep dish in New Mexico...

Sorry, I'm sure the doughnuts are pretty awesome. In fact, this thread and the souvlaki thread are making me very hungry. Posted Image

"Cock your hat - angles are attitudes. "
- Frank Sinatra 

#3 of 23 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted September 28 2005 - 12:40 PM

Quote:
Hah, that's hilarious.
Yeah, I guess it does sound funny, but the New England area (especially around CT) is so tightly compact that it feels like one big region. In fact, the people in the South Western quarter of CT refuse to acknowledge that they belong to New England. To them, it's little NY.

#4 of 23 Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,529 posts

Posted September 29 2005 - 12:29 AM

Quote:
In fact, the people in the South Western quarter of CT refuse to acknowledge that they belong to New England. To them, it's little NY.

That's just their excuse for being lowly, bandwagon jumping Yankee fans. Posted Image

#5 of 23 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted September 29 2005 - 01:57 AM

Tell me about it Jeff Posted Image - When I wear my Patriots apparel (to work), people give me crap about not being a Giants fan...my response is always "Uh, the last time I checked, CT was part of New England!!!!" Posted Image

#6 of 23 Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted September 29 2005 - 04:36 AM

Mmmmmm... forbidden donut....

People in the suburbs and other culturally bankrupt areas of the Puget Sound region are always going ga-ga over Krispy Kreme (a mediocre donut at best) but those of us who live within Seattle know that the place to go is Top Pot.

Local Starbucks shops have recently begun selling fresh Top Pot Donuts daily. Since my office is in the SoDo neighborhood (south of downtown, surrounded by warehouses and sports stadiums) my choices for morning coffee are extremely limited. (I would choose Vivace or Torrefazione, if I could.) The presence of Top Pot Donuts at Starbucks locations means that my morning pastry is of higher quality than the coffee!

#7 of 23 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted September 29 2005 - 05:17 AM

Quote:
ga-ga over Krispy Kreme (a mediocre donut at best)
I'm still trying to figure out the craze Posted Image - They're good, but not as good as people make them out to be.

#8 of 23 Tommy G

Tommy G

Screenwriter

• 1,235 posts

Posted September 29 2005 - 05:36 AM

I'm surprised that Lake George's Suttons is not on that list. Their Apple Cider Donuts are to die for! Posted Image
Please release The Goodies on Region 1 DVD
My DVDs

#9 of 23 David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted September 29 2005 - 12:35 PM

Quote:
I'm still trying to figure out the craze - They're good, but not as good as people make them out to be.

I'm sure the fact that they are light-years better than most of the crap that was available is a big part of it. I live in Tulsa, where there are no other national chains so when Krispy Kreme rolled in to town about 2 years ago it was a godsend.
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#10 of 23 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted September 30 2005 - 01:37 AM

David, do you have Dunkin Donuts? I would take DnD donuts over KK any day.

I once asked a KK lover why she liked them and she said "They're lighter than Dunkin Donuts. DnD donuts are too heavy" Posted Image What??? Too heavy? They're donuts! They're not supposed to be good for you Posted Image

It's like light beer! It's not what beer is supposed to be! If you like it, that's fine (I'm not going to judge you on that) but if you go around saying that darker beer is awful because it's heavier than light beer, than I may have an issue. Posted Image

#11 of 23 ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,482 posts

Posted September 30 2005 - 03:28 AM

This summer while on family vaction in Ocean City, MD we went to The Fractured Prune for the first time.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Good Doughnuts!!!!!!
It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink: 

#12 of 23 Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted September 30 2005 - 04:53 AM

Quote:
David, do you have Dunkin Donuts? I would take DnD donuts over KK any day
No Dunkin Donuts in Tulsa. Daylight Donuts is about it and those don't compare to Krispy Kreme.

#13 of 23 Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted September 30 2005 - 05:34 AM

Quote:
People in the suburbs and other culturally bankrupt areas of the Puget Sound region are always going ga-ga over Krispy Kreme (a mediocre donut at best)
Quote:
I'm still trying to figure out the craze - They're good, but not as good as people make them out to be.
When KK donuts are allowed to reach room tempature, they're just okay donuts. Fresh out of the oven, they seem to have a similar effect to crack.
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#14 of 23 Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,398 posts

Posted September 30 2005 - 09:29 AM

Quote:
When KK donuts are allowed to reach room tempature, they're just okay donuts. Fresh out of the oven, they seem to have a similar effect to crack.
ditto. when you can get a donut right off the production line ... it's gonna change your world.

#15 of 23 Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 1,946 posts

Posted September 30 2005 - 09:47 PM

Quote:
Fresh out of the oven, they seem to have a similar effect to crack.

Krispy Kremes don't come out of the oven , they come out of the deep fryer.

Being the good southern boy that I am I can't stand Dunkin Donuts. I really don't like any cake donuts. They are just too dense for me. That's the reason why I've always loved the light, yeasty sweet goodness of Krispy Kreme.

#16 of 23 Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted October 01 2005 - 05:53 PM

Quote:
Krispy Kremes don't come out of the oven , they come out of the deep fryer.
Piiiiiiiiiiiiiicky!:P)
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#17 of 23 Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted October 01 2005 - 06:13 PM

Quote:
I also hear they have great Chicago style deep dish in New Mexico...

We don't, but some places act like they do Posted Image

#18 of 23 LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted October 03 2005 - 06:59 AM

I'm with Rob. TOP POT rules!!

#19 of 23 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted October 03 2005 - 07:34 AM

Quote:
Fresh out of the oven, they seem to have a similar effect to crack.
But all donuts are kickin' when they're fresh out of the grease. KK is no different than the others in that respect...the big difference here is KK serves them hot and fresh. Most places don't, but if they did, KK would seem like nothing special.

Just like the little donuts at the carnivals (Like at the 'Big E') - They are KICKIN! because they are hot and crispy.

#20 of 23 Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor

• 829 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City

Posted October 03 2005 - 07:43 AM

the big difference here is KK serves them hot and fresh. Most places don't,

Thank you for confirming why most of us love Krispy Kremes & avoid the day old stale ass competition! Posted Image
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow