What's new

Please help a newbie..... (1 Viewer)

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Hello everyone, first time posting and I do not know jack about home audio.
I am planning to upgrade from my 27" to a 36 or a low 40's inch TV for this upcomming football season and have some questions.
I was reading about the Toshiba 40H80 as my widescreen choice and the Sony 36XBR400 as my regular TV choice. But any other opinions on choices would be great.
I sit about 10 feet away from my TV but I don't know the how many feet away per screen size.
Also, I watch movies maybe once a week but I am not a huge movie buff anymore, so is a regular TV the way to go? I have read that the widescreens are not really recomended for daily TV/cable viewing or is that not true?
I would appreciate any help from you guys, thank you.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I watch movies maybe once a week but I am not a huge movie buff anymore, so is a regular TV the way to go? I have read that the widescreens are not really recomended for daily TV/cable viewing or is that not true?
I am part of the camp that recommends a 4:3 set with this viewing activity. To avoid burn-in you will want to engage one of the widescreen modes to fill the screen. Personally I don't like the way any of these look. Your mileage may vary. The only way you will know is to see for yourself.
Your ideal set would be one that acts as both a 4:3 and 16:9 - then you get the best of both worlds. Sony, Toshiba, and Panasonic all make 4:3 direct view sets with a 16:9 mode for viewing anamorphic DVDs and HDTV. For projection televisions you will be limited to Sony's HS series to get this feature.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks