Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Alien Vs. Predator (Unrated Director's Cut)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 of 29 OFFLINE   Sebastien S

Sebastien S

Second Unit

• 373 posts

Posted September 25 2005 - 11:29 PM

Well I guess it's no longer "just a rumor":

http://www.amazon.co....v=glance&s=dvd

I saw the original in the theatre and thought it was "OK" at best. I bought the "Widescreen" DVD when it came out but haven't got around to actually watching it yet... Now this is coming!
Regards

-Seb

My DVD's

#2 of 29 OFFLINE   Magnus T

Magnus T

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted September 25 2005 - 11:40 PM

Nice coverart. Yup. And that's about it.
There is no spoon...
but there is a fork with a cork!

#3 of 29 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted September 26 2005 - 02:58 AM

So they added 14 minutes of additional footage. I did enjoy the film, a fun watch but not sure I'll bother with a double dip.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#4 of 29 OFFLINE   Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor

• 926 posts

Posted September 26 2005 - 12:31 PM

Maybe I'm the only one but I would really like to see this. I just wish they would rerelease Even Horizon to tag along, but we'll have to wait for Next year for.
Thanks

#5 of 29 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted September 27 2005 - 02:54 AM

Oh, I'll see it, but most likely as a rental.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#6 of 29 OFFLINE   Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor

• 765 posts

Posted September 27 2005 - 03:34 AM

I'll pick it up. I enjoyed the first release. It wasn't the greatest movie, but enjoyable none the less.
Master Poe: Close your eyes. What do you hear?
Caine: I hear the water. I hear the birds.
Master Poe: Do you hear your own heart beat.
Caine: No.
Master Poe: Do you hear the grasshopper, which is at your feet.Caine: Old man, how is it that you hear these things?Master Poe: Young man, how is it...

#7 of 29 OFFLINE   Kami

Kami

Screenwriter

• 1,496 posts

Posted September 27 2005 - 06:12 AM

I hope it's not just 14 minutes of added footage, but instead a complete re-edit of the film.

Wishful thinking, I know.

I just hope all 14 mins is Predator and Alien stuff...don't try and develop those pathetic characters anymore.

#8 of 29 OFFLINE   Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor

• 926 posts

Posted September 28 2005 - 04:38 AM

I think I remember reading that a lot of it is character stuff. Sorry. And a little bit of violence as well. I haven't seen the film since theaters so I will give it a rent at least.
Thanks

#9 of 29 OFFLINE   Shane_M

Shane_M

Stunt Coordinator

• 232 posts

Posted November 05 2005 - 02:42 AM

I watched the beginning of the movie last night and thus far most of the additional stuff is character related. I stopped just as they entered the pyramid so I can't say much more.
Shane
EyeCraveDVD.com (Owner | Editor-In-Chief)
My Blog

#10 of 29 OFFLINE   David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter

• 1,435 posts

Posted November 05 2005 - 06:31 AM

I got this yesterday. I didn't watch the new unrated cut yet (next week after I watch other DVDs). I mostly looked at the extras on disc two (a little featurette on the DOP fearing the cameras would be destroyed after one did get destroyed while filming a scene, and a little looking around the discs). I don't like AvP, but I think the extras are going to be great on this 2 disc CE.
ENTERLINE MEDIA (entertainment articles and DVD/Movie/TV show reviews)

#11 of 29 OFFLINE   RyanAn

RyanAn

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted November 05 2005 - 06:44 AM

You know those directors who constantly say that the reason their film was bad was because of the production company and not them? Well, this is one of those directors. While I liked the gore and action, the movie itself was not that good. I bet the director will never take credit for a film that is not in good standing amoung the fans. He always puts the blame on someone else. That being said, the coverart is neat, but I am not all that sure if I would want to pay again for the movie. Is any of the content exclusive? No.

OVERALL: R1
2-disc "The Unrated Edition" has the both "Theatrical" and "Unrated" -versions of the film, and all extras from the other releases (original R1 has some minor DVD-ROM features, and R4 Extreme Edition has "Making Of AVP" - featurette, which could be exclusive). Also DTS is included.

clicky

Ryan

#12 of 29 OFFLINE   Vincent-P

Vincent-P

Second Unit

• 334 posts

Posted November 05 2005 - 07:03 AM

DVDCompare is not entirely correct. For some reason, Fox has left off almost all the previous deleted scenes from both the R1 and R2 versions. From the reviews, we only get 3 deleted scenes on this release, while the old international versions had like 10.

#13 of 29 OFFLINE   Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted November 05 2005 - 07:13 AM

I'd have to assume that they ended up in the extended cut, as opposed to being "left off". That's just speculation, but it seems pretty likely.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#14 of 29 OFFLINE   Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor

• 665 posts

Posted November 05 2005 - 08:01 AM

Absurdity! I remember when this movie came out, the director specifically mentioned that there was barely any material left over and ruled out the possibility of a director's cut or an extended version because of it.

And now we're, what, eight months down the road and he's releasing a director's cut?

#15 of 29 OFFLINE   Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted November 05 2005 - 08:15 AM

Quote:
Absurdity! I remember when this movie came out, the director specifically mentioned that there was barely any material left over and ruled out the possibility of a director's cut or an extended version because of it.

Actually, it was quite the opposite. P.W.S. Anderson talked up the fact that there was missing footage quite a bit. See this article, for example.

DJ

#16 of 29 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted November 05 2005 - 09:16 AM

More Alien and Predator carnage, that's the only way i'll double-dip for this one.
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#17 of 29 OFFLINE   Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor

• 665 posts

Posted November 05 2005 - 01:04 PM

Wow, Damin, thanks for that link. That completely contradicts my memory. I wonder if the article I read pre-dates it (that is, pre-dates the mandate to cut the film three weeks prior to release) or maybe I'm just confused.

Either way, that article got me interested in seeing the new cut, provided it's the kind of deal that Anderson discusses in the article. More carnage with all the human death scenes restored, explanations of the descrepencies between AvP and the rest of the franchises... this stands a fighting chance.

So, the issue is, is this really his director's cut? Are these things back in there? I'd really appreciate some details from the guys who've bought it. Cheers!

#18 of 29 OFFLINE   Adam_WM

Adam_WM

Screenwriter

• 1,626 posts

Posted November 05 2005 - 04:34 PM

So has anybody watched this new version yet?

#19 of 29 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted November 05 2005 - 04:39 PM

As I have never picked up the first release, I will definitely pick this one up. Sure it's a bad film, but I still found it entertaining from all the Alien/Predator carnage.....it's all I really expected from it actually.:b
Recently watched- Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard, Up 3D, The Grandmaster, Edge Of Tomorrow 3D, The Comedy Of Terrors, The Raven(1963), Mulholland Falls, Saturn 3, Cheers: Season 6, Nosferatu: The Vampyre, Battle Beyond The Stars, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers(1978), Ransom, Dragonheart, Tomb Of Ligeia

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 1

"Now I have a machinegun.  HO-HO-HO"

#20 of 29 OFFLINE   David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter

• 1,435 posts

Posted November 05 2005 - 06:17 PM

Quote:
So has anybody watched this new version yet?

Except for the reviewers who have the DVD, no one will see the new version until it hits store on Nov 22nd. I have other DVDs to watch first before I get around to watching the Unrated AvP sometime during the week.
ENTERLINE MEDIA (entertainment articles and DVD/Movie/TV show reviews)

Forum Nav Content I Follow