-

Photo
- - - - -

Grey's Anatomy season 2 ongoing thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
233 replies to this topic

#1 of 234 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,754 posts

Posted September 25 2005 - 07:21 AM

IIRC, cliffhangers from last season:

Meredith learns that her lover, Derek, is still married. Doh!

Will Cristina and Burke be outed as a couple?

That's all I got, but it returned tonight after Desperate Housewives on ABC at 10 p.m. EDT.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 234 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,754 posts

Posted September 25 2005 - 03:05 PM

Good start to the season.

I don't quite know how to pinpoint why I like this cast, but they just click, and seem to have that human spark that overshadows other shows in this department.

I think it was sort of smart to break up Burke/Cristina and Meredith/Derek for now, opens them up to other possibilities. Glad they revealed Derek's breakup details instead of dragging it out.

Yes, that was Steve from "My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance'" that was bar owner who underwent the standstill operation.

George as the mole was funny.

#3 of 234 OFFLINE   pitchman

pitchman

Screenwriter

• 1,839 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted September 25 2005 - 03:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, that was Steve from "My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance'" that was bar owner who underwent the standstill operation.
Thanks, Patrick! As I watched this episode, I thought he looked familiar but could not place him. I agree that the cast on this show really clicks. I also thought it was interesting that the surgery performed on tonight's show is virtually identical to the procedure on House this past week.
Gary

#4 of 234 OFFLINE   Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas

Second Unit

• 438 posts

Posted September 25 2005 - 06:51 PM

So it looks like Izzie and Alex are the next to get together? I think she's the hottest one on the show.

#5 of 234 OFFLINE   Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco

Screenwriter

• 2,462 posts

Posted September 26 2005 - 04:42 AM

I agree the cast clicks. I taped this show all last season because it took over the Boston Legal slot (which took over The Practice slot), but I never watched it. I figured I'd give it a run before the season started. I was surprised to see Isiah Washington in a weekly series. I like him as an actor. I've also liked the Chief in other roles.

Katherine Heigl ("Izzie") is supposed to be "traditionally hot." That's her niche. I remember her from Roswell. She was called Isabel on that show, and Isobel here. IMDB says she's 27 in November, which is more the age I'd expect from intern Surgeons.

The age of the characters throws me off a bit. It seems they're supposed to be late-20-somethings, but as I suspected, some of them are a bit older. I just looked up Sandra Oh (Dr. Cristina Yang) and she's 34 (35 in November). She reminded me of the girl from Arli$$, and sure enough, she is. Ellen Pompeo (Grey) is 36 in November. That explains things a bit for me as I keep expecting younger people based on context, but I keep seeing middle-aged people on the screen.

All in all, I've enjoyed the show during it's short run. I've given it a permanent slot in my recorder.
Studios, caption your internet streams.

#6 of 234 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,754 posts

Posted September 26 2005 - 05:21 AM

34-36 is middle-aged?

#7 of 234 OFFLINE   Jim DiJoseph

Jim DiJoseph

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted September 26 2005 - 05:27 AM

Quote:
That explains things a bit for me as I keep expecting younger people based on context, but I keep seeing middle-aged people on the screen.

34 or 35 is "middle-aged"?! Good Lord, when did that happen?! Posted Image

Nice seasone premiere. My wife really likes this show, but it's growing on me, too.
Remember...no matter where you go, there you are.

#8 of 234 OFFLINE   Natalie F

Natalie F

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted September 26 2005 - 05:09 PM

Quote:
I also thought it was interesting that the surgery performed on tonight's show is virtually identical to the procedure on House this past week.

Wasn't this filmed last season? Plus they only killed the little girl for 60 seconds on House, but it was 45 minutes for this guy. Weird.

George absolutely cracked me up. I didn't really like him that much to begin with; he annoyed me, but he's definitely one of my favourite characters now. So cute.

#9 of 234 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,754 posts

Posted September 26 2005 - 05:14 PM

The scene with George and Meredith was gold.

If Izzie and Alex get together, I was be banging my head against the proverbial TV screen.

#10 of 234 OFFLINE   Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco

Screenwriter

• 2,462 posts

Posted September 27 2005 - 12:18 AM

Awhile back when I knew it, life expectancy was about 70 for men and 72 for women. I've always figured 35 is the beginning of middle age. I just did a mortality table check and the average life expectancy for a white woman born in 1970 is 76, so middle age would be 38. I'd be really curious to know when you guys think middle age starts, because I certainly had no problem calling myself middle aged when I passed those milestones.

But let's get back to the show.

The most interesting moment for me was when Dr. Grey told Dr. McDreamy that his description of her presence in his life was not enough. I wonder what would have pleased her.
Studios, caption your internet streams.

#11 of 234 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,881 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted September 27 2005 - 02:03 AM

A good season opener. I missed the prior season finale, so was caught off guard by the Shephard's wife and George and Alex's fisticuffs.

I'm amused, in a frustrated way, with George's failure connect with the women more than platonically. To cap it all, George spends a day finding a way to pay for the bartender's surgery, aggressively confronts the Chief of Surgery about it, twice, and succeeds. But it's Alex who captures Izzie's attention when he shows a hint of a heartbeat.

#12 of 234 OFFLINE   Scott-S

Scott-S

Screenwriter

• 2,032 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Zion

Posted September 27 2005 - 02:14 AM

Last year they made Alex a big jerk. You know, one that totally deserved to get punched. This year they are trying to make him a nice guy? I am sorry but I will always think of him a syphilis carrying, womanizer.

If Izzy would ever touch him after knowing all of this it wouldnt be very realistic. She deserves better Posted Image
-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection
Stop the on-screen Bugs!!!!!!

#13 of 234 OFFLINE   Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted September 27 2005 - 04:40 AM

Last year they made Alex a big jerk. You know, one that totally deserved to get punched. This year they are trying to make him a nice guy? I am sorry but I will always think of him a syphilis carrying, womanizer.

As alluded to earlier, I think we are still dealing with "last year" here. If I understood the recent EW article correctly, they originally filmed 13 episodes but ABC only aired nine of them last year. So last year's "finale" wasn't really a finale at all. The season premiere is actually Episode 10 from the initial production run. So far we aren't seeing the results of any new course changes that might have been decided during the hiatus.

#14 of 234 OFFLINE   Jim DiJoseph

Jim DiJoseph

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted September 27 2005 - 05:01 AM

Quote:
Awhile back when I knew it, life expectancy was about 70 for men and 72 for women. I've always figured 35 is the beginning of middle age. I just did a mortality table check and the average life expectancy for a white woman born in 1970 is 76, so middle age would be 38. I'd be really curious to know when you guys think middle age starts, because I certainly had no problem calling myself middle aged when I passed those milestones.

I always took the term to refer to the middle of your adulthood. And I believe the colloquial meaning supports this perspective rather than a literal translation.

Middle-aged at Dictionary.com

middle-aged

adj : being roughly between 45 and 65 years old

But, I'm really not sensitive to these types of things...just thought it was funny to read. Posted Image All good.

Did anyone watch the previews at the end of the show?
My wife was convinced that one of the scenes implied that Dr. Yang might be keeping the baby...

Remember...no matter where you go, there you are.

#15 of 234 OFFLINE   Matt^Brown

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor

• 623 posts

Posted September 27 2005 - 05:15 AM

It looked that way to me Jim. I really enjoy this show and thought the first episode was good. I'm glad you guys pointed out who the bar owner was because I could not figure it out for anything.
The Legend is better than reality!

#16 of 234 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,754 posts

Posted October 02 2005 - 03:22 PM

10/2/05

The Judy doll heads were just "OMG! How did he get them down?" Whew!

I really feel like a chick when I watch this show, but it's just so good in the humanity of the characters, so I don't care.

I had a thing for Kate Walsh (Addison) since her Drew Carey days, so I'm glad she's on the show for now (not sure how long she'll stick around, though).

George and Olivia - could have been drawn out, but with George finally stepping up to the plate, he gave Olivia what she needed to hear for her to move on.

I cracked up when the Chief's wife showed up and it's Loretta Devine, who played Marla on Boston Public.

#17 of 234 OFFLINE   Lucia Duran

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter

• 1,089 posts

Posted October 03 2005 - 04:20 AM

I enjoyed last nights episode. I honestly don't think I could be a doctor or a nurse, because that was such a hard decision to make with regards to the dad that beat his wife. His son was really brave for giving him an organ. I don't think I could have done it, father or not. Christina felt exactly how I would have felt.

Great show. Great actors. Keeps me tuned in.
NO SHIRT

NO SHOES

NO SHELDON

#18 of 234 OFFLINE   Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted October 03 2005 - 08:36 AM

Quote:
I honestly don't think I could be a doctor or a nurse, because that was such a hard decision to make with regards to the dad that beat his wife.
Yes, but they avoid that because it's not their decision to make. Give everyone the best care possible. Ultimately, it was the son's, although everyone that had an opionion was not shy about expressing it.

#19 of 234 OFFLINE   pitchman

pitchman

Screenwriter

• 1,839 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted October 03 2005 - 03:24 PM

Quote:
I cracked up when the Chief's wife showed up and it's Loretta Devine, who played Marla on Boston Public.
I hope hers is a recurring role. She is a fine actress and would be a welcome addition to this already fine ensemble cast. This is quickly becoming a really terrific show!
Gary

#20 of 234 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,881 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted October 04 2005 - 08:50 AM

Quote:
Loretta Devine, who played Marla on Boston Public
I knew I'd see her somewhere! Thanks.

I enjoy how George, in all his insecure geekiness, continues to stand up to those in power to save the powerless.

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow