What's new

Star Trek (original) (1 Viewer)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I broke my own rule and purchased S 1 of the series even though I said I wouldn't pay Paramount's price gouging amount

I don't see the series Pilot "The Cage" in the set is it in one of the others?

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
ahhh okay Thanks guys

Like I said I wasn't going to buy them but I got a new job and decided to splurge LOL

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
What season was that again?

And more importantly, why are these sets so effing expensive? Is it because of those cool-looking but wildly impractical plastic cases? Or just because they know Trekkies will cough up the $$?

Eric DiPiazza

Stunt Coordinator
I just started picking up all the Trek DVD's all the summer. However, I'm only buying them if they still have the BB bonus discs. I have been able to find them for all of the OS, Voyager, Enterprise, and most for DS9. But for TNG, I'm going to have to man up and head to ebay and hope to pay a "decent" price. As a matter of fact, I have yet to even see a single TNG season, (w/o the bonus disc), in BB! And since no one mentioned it yet, the pilot is on the 3rd season of the OS.
There...I just officially killed it:D

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Crazy as it sounds, I - one of the most rabid Trekkies you will ever find! - have elected to stick with my 40 two-episode DVDs and have not purchased the season sets.
Oh, I forgot to mention something:
The pilot episode, "The Cage", can be found on the 3rd season DVD set. Or Disc 40 if you have the ones I have. :D

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I still have the 40 Volume set as well. Thats plenty good for me, until Shatner does a commentary track for the show. Hell yea they will sell it again, and again.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I bought a few of the two-episode discs when I found them cheap. I thought those prices were ridiculous. In comparison to those and the old VHS tapes I bought, the season series even at $100 are a bargain, so I got all three.

One of the two-episode discs I have is volume 40 with the two "The Cage" episodes on it.

Harry

SteveVM

Stunt Coordinator
I have been trying to find these sets at a local store.

Nobody carries them in stock anymore, they say just order it on-line. For something like this, I like to check for rattles before buying, especially if I am paying this much or considering paying this much.

I have locally-2 Super Wal-Marts, Sam's Club, Best Buy, Circuit City and Target.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
If you're a member of Costco, I saw a bundle of the 3 seasons together selling for $230.00. That's a bargin!

SteveVM

Stunt Coordinator
Nope no Costco anywhere near here.

In November I saw them at my Sam's Club for $70 each.

But couldn't get them at that time.

Now they have none.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Unless Paramount goes back someday and finally fixes the proper original soundtrack on The Cage (instead of giving us a modified Menagerie one), I refuse to buy this or any other re-release of Star Trek.
It's a real shame that Gene Roddenberry and Majel were able to get away with breaking into NBC's vault and make off with all the unused/outtake footage from the series (source: Herb Solow and Boby Justman's book Inside Star Trek). If it weren't for that, perhaps we'd have had some decent DVD extras like deleted scenes, raw FX and, perhaps more importantly, the original 75-minute (or so) version of The Cage.
Seems Roddenberry felt he was entitled to the footage as he was certain he'd never make a cent off the show itself, so he and Majel backed up a truck and loaded it full of all the unused film trims/outtakes, etc. one weekend when hardly anyone was around. Then, they sold the packages of clips through the company Gene set up to "give Majel something to do", Lincoln Enterprises.
Here is a website where those interested in the "missing" Trek footage ought to go. This guy has been collecting many of these clips and trying to restore the picture, color, etc. Would be nice if there were some way he could get Paramount to include some of this stuff on the (eventual) rerelease, but I somehow doubt it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks