-

Photo
- - - - -

The Mary Tyler Moore Show-Seasons3-7, any news

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 of 31 OFFLINE   Phyll

Phyll

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted September 22 2005 - 03:07 PM

Has anybody heard any news about whether Fox has decided to release more Mary? What I think they should do is after Mash is done-maybe by December of next year, they could step up the release of Mary then-eh? And of course the Bob Newhart Show and Rhoda!! Yeah!!!! Maybe Dave Lambert could find out something for us Mary fans. Thank you.

#2 of 31 OFFLINE   ElijahS

ElijahS

Supporting Actor

• 751 posts

Posted September 22 2005 - 03:09 PM

I think they're still charting the sales of Season 2 to see when they need to release the next season set, but the response to Season 2's release was big enough where we should get at least one set next year.
- Elijah

My TV DVD Collection

STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIPThe all-new drama from the creator of THE WEST WING and SPORTS NIGHTPremiering this fall on NBCThe last five minutes of St. Elsewhere is the only television show, ever. Everything else is a daydream.

#3 of 31 OFFLINE   David Rain

David Rain

Screenwriter

• 1,095 posts

Posted September 22 2005 - 03:29 PM

It's a shame that good quality shows that appeal to a more mature audience are not selling as well as the shows that appeal to a younger audience. Adults need to buy more of their favorite shows on DVD so that there will be more of an audience for these type of releases and we will hopefully get more of the kind. When classic shows are not selling well then that's a problem. Even shows like Cheers, which are selling, don't seem to be getting stocked at the major retailers or are not being featured prominently.
Still Turning the Beat Around at Our Cool New Pad

Retro Remixes

#4 of 31 OFFLINE   mark stevenson

mark stevenson

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted September 23 2005 - 08:34 AM

According to Amazon, today Season 2 is # 33 and Season 1 is #48, on Fox's top 100 dvd sales. I would think that these numbers warrant further releases of season sets. Considering that I have seen no ads anywhere for the release of season 2 (July 26), imo, these figures are quite respectful.

#5 of 31 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,207 posts

Posted September 23 2005 - 02:15 PM

I hope we see some more soon!

Andy

#6 of 31 OFFLINE   Alan_H

Alan_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted September 23 2005 - 08:24 PM

I would think that these numbers warrant further releases of season sets.
Here's another impressive number, imo. As of early a.m. on 9-24, Roseanne Season 1 has an Amazon sales rank of 523. MTM Season 2 has a rank of 396. Even more impressive when you factor in that MTM Season 2 was released 5 weeks before Roseanne. Yes, I realize that the MTM set is much higher quality than the Roseanne set, but I would have thought that would have easily been offset by the fact that Rosanne is a much more recent show.

#7 of 31 OFFLINE   MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor

• 574 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted September 24 2005 - 09:06 AM

Could be because none of the stores I went into were actually CARRYING MTM 2!
40% Ben Katz + 30% Bobby Hill (Texas) + 20% Monica Geller + 10% William Dent. (Wardrobe by George Costanza)

#8 of 31 OFFLINE   Dan*T

Dan*T

Supporting Actor

• 525 posts

Posted September 24 2005 - 09:51 AM

I'm really crossing my fingers for Rhoda!!Posted Image
Dan T.

#9 of 31 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,207 posts

Posted September 24 2005 - 10:41 AM

I'm really crossing my fingers for Rhoda!!

I'd love Rhoda as well...and Phylis...and Lou Grant

Andy

#10 of 31 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,481 posts

Posted September 24 2005 - 05:23 PM

Could be because none of the stores I went into were actually CARRYING MTM 2!

Where did you check? I know both Best Buy and Target both had it.

#11 of 31 OFFLINE   MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor

• 574 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted September 25 2005 - 10:00 AM

3 of the 4 Best Buys in Vancouver (BC) didn't have it. I had to drive to the furthest one away, (Coquitlam) spending $4.00 in gas so I could use a $5.00 coupon. If it weren't for the coupon I would've ordered it online anyway.
40% Ben Katz + 30% Bobby Hill (Texas) + 20% Monica Geller + 10% William Dent. (Wardrobe by George Costanza)

#12 of 31 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,077 posts

Posted September 26 2005 - 04:29 AM

I am hoping beyond all hope that Fox will release the rest of Mary and I desperately have to have Rhoda. Phyliss would be nice, but if Phyliss does indeed come out, I doubt that much will be done to restore it. The same with Rhoda.

If Fox doesn't want to release any of their classic shows like Mary, Rhoda, Phyliss, Room 222 then they should farm them out to Sony. Sony at least would make a serious effort to release as many seasons as possible. I know folks have issues with Sony releases, namely Mad About You and the Jeffersons, but it looks like they are getting better. I'd much rather that Fox farm the shows out to Sony and have Sony get them out there then have them collecting dust in the Fox vaults.

#13 of 31 OFFLINE   Jon F.

Jon F.

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted September 27 2005 - 01:13 AM

I was under the impression that the Amazon rankings were done on a daily basis. Is that the case? If so, I don't think that means much.

#14 of 31 OFFLINE   mark stevenson

mark stevenson

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted September 27 2005 - 02:36 AM

The daily ratings do reflect the popularity of the titles - if TMTMS is ranking #30 on the Fox list and #300 on the overall Amazon list, this should indicate strong sales. TMTMS leading up to its release in July was ranking about #30. Since then, it's been hovering around the #300 mark. Not bad. I just hope that retail street sales are just as strong.

#15 of 31 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,216 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted September 27 2005 - 04:44 AM

It's been two months since the release, and the masters were ready for 3 years. Too soon to pass judgement.

They probably haven't even made the masters for season 3 yet.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#16 of 31 OFFLINE   Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor

• 786 posts

Posted October 05 2005 - 11:21 PM

Season 3, coming up! -- January 10 to be exact.

This is good news because while the first two seasons weren't bad, season 3 (in my opinion) is where the show got really good. I think this has to do with a change of focus. The first two seasons were heavily focused on Mary; in the third season, the supporting characters got more important, and you got great episodes like the one where Lou buys a bar, or the episode where Phyllis thinks her brother might be interested in Rhoda (with a famous punchline). And even the Mary episodes got funnier; this is the season of "Put on a Happy Face," the famous episode where everything goes wrong for Mary on the night of an awards show.

Also season 3 introduces Georgette to the show (Sue Ann turns up in season 4).

#17 of 31 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,077 posts

Posted October 06 2005 - 03:23 AM

Yes, yes, yes! I'm so glad to hear this news. I was hoping that Fox wasn't going to give up on the series.

#18 of 31 ONLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,343 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted October 06 2005 - 03:38 AM

YES!!! I didn't dare hope for S3 yet, but that's terrific news! Thanks for posting!Posted Image

#19 of 31 OFFLINE   Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted October 06 2005 - 04:42 AM

That means we might get to season 6 (and "Chuckles Bites the Dust") in my lifetime. Posted Image Posted Image
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#20 of 31 OFFLINE   BrianP

BrianP

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted October 06 2005 - 05:00 AM

Great news since I just picked up season 2 yesterday.