What's new

Evil Dead II - Book of the Dead COMPARISON SHOTS (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
WOW! that is a big difference.
Especially of those scenes with the close-up of the eyes and the group shot.

Can't wait to get it, so I can rewatch it along with the other two movies during my Halloween marathon on the 31st of Oct!!

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Are we sure that these are going to be representative of the R1 release?

If so then I must say.....aw come on Anchor Bay, pumping up the contrast is not a good thing with a film that is supposed to be a dark horror/comedy, make it sharper, fine, but every time I ever saw this in the theaters it was a fairly dark pallet, brighter is not necessarily better. Stay with the pallet of the original film presentation...don't do to this what you did with the Halloween Divamax, looking nice as it did it pumped up everything for the "oooh" factor but ruined the original visual intentions.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
if the bottom shots are the new one, i dont like it.

just looks like the color and the contrast or brightness has been turned up.

the first shot of the sun looks like night, the newer shot looks like its daytime.

also probably not by accident it loos like an angry eye.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
The definitely seem brighter to me on first glance. I already sold my THX Evil Dead 2, so I will be getting the book. I hope this isn't too bright though. Brighter isn't always better, especially in this movie.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Well thank god I'm not the only one who noticed or cares.:emoji_thumbsup:

..seemed here lately around HTF I could say that water was wet & I would get an argument about it. ;)

...did I say "lately"? :D

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Hmm...according to DVD Times:

...well I hope the screen shots are not representative of the final R1 transfer.
I know that Sam apparently "supervised" it himself but....well..time will tell, we haven't even seen a single review yet & some additional comparison screenshots from other parties would be a good thing before I continue to go off half cocked....anyway, we'll see in a week. (crossing fingers)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
he supervised or sometimes it says aproved of the transfer, but does he actually see what the dvd willlook like on the official release?

do we know the film transfer will look the same as the dvd image?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
....that would be why I posted that little nugget of info, Travis, yes.

But then again Dean Cundey "supervised" the original transfer of Halloween and look at what the "New & Improved" Divamax transfer looked like, bright un-corrected colors and bright shading and totally not representative (according to his original supervised transfer) of the original film.
I don't want that to happen here, I remember what this film has looked like over the years, and it was never brightly lit comedy.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

Unless changes are made afterwards, issues like coloring and brightness stay consistent when a director-approved transfer is encoded for DVD.

DJ

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

And the DiviMax Halloween transfer, quite rightly, does not claim to have been supervised by Cundey. If AB is saying Raimi supervised/approved the DiviMax transfer of ED2, it is a very different story than Halloween.

DJ

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
"...it was never brightly lit comedy"...unless someone is going to say that it has been compromised all of these years..well, ok, if that is the case then why suddenly change it now after all of the other video incarnations where he could have insisted on any changes he deemed necessary to correct any artistic compromises it has suffered over the years?

Of course this is all conjecture right now anyway, we don't know what this new transfer looks like.

Oh, BTW....water is wet.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
We'll soon find out peeps (mine's on the way :D), so try and keep calm in the meantime. It does look as if the framing has been shifted upwards, but the brightness doesn't deserve comment until people can see it with their own eyes on their own equipment. I haven't seen ED2 in a while, and it'll be nice to have Ash rev up his chainsaw again.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I've never been anything but calm....I still have my THX version if I don't like this transfer after all. :)
Speaking of which, after looking at the "before" caps on that swedish site I compared them to the THX disc...they don't look a thing alike, jpeg artifacts aside. The grain level, color pallet and basic dirt on those caps is much different than the DVD that I have.

I assume DVDBeaver will be on top of this before too long.

Rolando

Screenwriter
I agree Kain_C, looks less sharp to me.

Not necessarily a bad thing, all depends on the original intent. maybe it has been overly "edge enhanced" over the last years.

we'll see I guess. I'm one of those suckers who is getting it for the book :b

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks