Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Evil Dead II - Book of the Dead COMPARISON SHOTS

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
69 replies to this topic

#1 of 70 OFFLINE   Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 977 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 02:01 AM

With the Book out next week, and already shipping from places like DDD, I thought it would be a good idea to provide this link to a european forum that seems to have the first comparison shots online between the new version and the THX tin of a few years ago...

http://www.dvdforum.....77&forum=3#new

#2 of 70 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,605 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 03:40 AM

WOW! that is a big difference.
Especially of those scenes with the close-up of the eyes and the group shot.

Can't wait to get it, so I can rewatch it along with the other two movies during my Halloween marathon on the 31st of Oct!!

all-banner.jpg

#3 of 70 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 03:43 AM

Are we sure that these are going to be representative of the R1 release?

If so then I must say.....aw come on Anchor Bay, pumping up the contrast is not a good thing with a film that is supposed to be a dark horror/comedy, make it sharper, fine, but every time I ever saw this in the theaters it was a fairly dark pallet, brighter is not necessarily better. Stay with the pallet of the original film presentation...don't do to this what you did with the Halloween Divamax, looking nice as it did it pumped up everything for the "oooh" factor but ruined the original visual intentions.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#4 of 70 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,246 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted September 21 2005 - 04:14 AM

if the bottom shots are the new one, i dont like it.

just looks like the color and the contrast or brightness has been turned up.

the first shot of the sun looks like night, the newer shot looks like its daytime.

also probably not by accident it loos like an angry eye.
facebook.com/whotony

#5 of 70 OFFLINE   Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor

• 926 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 04:28 AM

The definitely seem brighter to me on first glance. I already sold my THX Evil Dead 2, so I will be getting the book. I hope this isn't too bright though. Brighter isn't always better, especially in this movie.

#6 of 70 OFFLINE   Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit

• 485 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 04:41 AM

It's sharper and brighter but I'm not buying it again.
www.notinmybook.comWhere I can complain and complain and complain.

#7 of 70 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 05:10 AM

Well thank god I'm not the only one who noticed or cares.Posted Image

..seemed here lately around HTF I could say that water was wet & I would get an argument about it. Posted Image

...did I say "lately"? Posted Image
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#8 of 70 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 05:49 AM

Hmm...according to DVD Times:
Quote:
The Evil Dead 2: Book of the Dead 2 Edition also promises viewers the best presentation yet. Director Sam Raimi personally supervised the High-Definition DiviMax™ transfer

...well I hope the screen shots are not representative of the final R1 transfer.
I know that Sam apparently "supervised" it himself but....well..time will tell, we haven't even seen a single review yet & some additional comparison screenshots from other parties would be a good thing before I continue to go off half cocked....anyway, we'll see in a week. (crossing fingers)
-Kevin M.

- Roger Ebert

#9 of 70 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,341 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 21 2005 - 06:18 AM

Quote:
Director Sam Raimi personally supervised the High-Definition DiviMax™ transfer

Wouldn't being the director make him an authority of how the movie should look? More than me or you or anyone looking at some screenshots anyway. Posted Image

#10 of 70 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,246 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted September 21 2005 - 06:25 AM

he supervised or sometimes it says aproved of the transfer, but does he actually see what the dvd willlook like on the official release?

do we know the film transfer will look the same as the dvd image?
facebook.com/whotony

#11 of 70 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 06:29 AM

....that would be why I posted that little nugget of info, Travis, yes.

But then again Dean Cundey "supervised" the original transfer of Halloween and look at what the "New & Improved" Divamax transfer looked like, bright un-corrected colors and bright shading and totally not representative (according to his original supervised transfer) of the original film.
I don't want that to happen here, I remember what this film has looked like over the years, and it was never brightly lit comedy.
-Kevin M.

- Roger Ebert

#12 of 70 OFFLINE   Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 06:34 AM

Quote:
do we know the film transfer will look the same as the dvd image?

Unless changes are made afterwards, issues like coloring and brightness stay consistent when a director-approved transfer is encoded for DVD.

DJ

#13 of 70 OFFLINE   Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 06:35 AM

Quote:
But then again Dean Cundey "supervised" the original transfer of Halloween and look at what the "New & Improved" Divamax transfer looked like, bright un-corrected colors and bright shading and totally not reprisenitive of the original film.

And the DiviMax Halloween transfer, quite rightly, does not claim to have been supervised by Cundey. If AB is saying Raimi supervised/approved the DiviMax transfer of ED2, it is a very different story than Halloween.

DJ

#14 of 70 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 06:47 AM

"...it was never brightly lit comedy"...unless someone is going to say that it has been compromised all of these years..well, ok, if that is the case then why suddenly change it now after all of the other video incarnations where he could have insisted on any changes he deemed necessary to correct any artistic compromises it has suffered over the years?

Of course this is all conjecture right now anyway, we don't know what this new transfer looks like.

Oh, BTW....water is wet.
-Kevin M.

- Roger Ebert

#15 of 70 OFFLINE   Mike Wadkins

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor

• 957 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 06:57 AM

sweeeeet is all i can say

#16 of 70 OFFLINE   Geoff_D

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor

• 895 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 07:09 AM

We'll soon find out peeps (mine's on the way Posted Image), so try and keep calm in the meantime. It does look as if the framing has been shifted upwards, but the brightness doesn't deserve comment until people can see it with their own eyes on their own equipment. I haven't seen ED2 in a while, and it'll be nice to have Ash rev up his chainsaw again.

#17 of 70 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 07:18 AM

I've never been anything but calm....I still have my THX version if I don't like this transfer after all. Posted Image
Speaking of which, after looking at the "before" caps on that swedish site I compared them to the THX disc...they don't look a thing alike, jpeg artifacts aside. The grain level, color pallet and basic dirt on those caps is much different than the DVD that I have.

I assume DVDBeaver will be on top of this before too long.
-Kevin M.

- Roger Ebert

#18 of 70 OFFLINE   Kain_C

Kain_C

Screenwriter

• 1,036 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 08:37 AM

Sharper? Looks less sharp to me!

#19 of 70 OFFLINE   Mark Lucas

Mark Lucas

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 09:58 AM

Looks almost as bad as the recent Ghostbusters re-release.

#20 of 70 OFFLINE   Rolando

Rolando

Screenwriter

• 1,319 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 12:43 PM

I agree Kain_C, looks less sharp to me.

Not necessarily a bad thing, all depends on the original intent. maybe it has been overly "edge enhanced" over the last years.

we'll see I guess. I'm one of those suckers who is getting it for the book :b
Rolando Avendano

My Collection

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow