What's new

My Name is Earl (1 Viewer)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

I haven't watched tv since shows started coming out on DVD, but as chance would have it my projector blew out the other day so I turned on my old set. On came this show with Jason Lee, and it was great! I hope to see more of this. It has the kind of plot concept that could take it anywhere.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Anybody else watch this? Still fairly rough around the edges, but I found the main characters to be quite endearing. I love the pleasant dynamic has with the man who stole his woman away and fathered his illigetimate children. Also love the kind of hijinks Earl seems to get involved in. Him, his brother, and the maid are all engaging personalities. The show exists on a similar plane to "Arrested Development", in which the audience must buy into an alternate universe where zaniness reigns over logic. "Arrested" approaches this plane from the top of the economic latter while "Earl" approaches it from the bottom rung. It's got my attention for next week.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For some reason, this pilot reminded me of "Bottle Rockets" in tone. Given Earl's past, the show is so open-ended, and offers the most hope for a long run on TV.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
I liked the show. I laughed out loud at his brother's plan to double the money. I'll definitely continue to check it out.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
It's nowhere near as funny or smart as Arrested Development as some critics compared it to. I thought it was funny at parts, the premise is more interesting and funny than the show itself. They went for some obvious laughs, nothing too brilliant...but I found it just entertaining enough to make me want to tune in for the next episode.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Not bad, there were moments that gave me a good laugh such as the kickball flashback scene and Earl and his brother's initial reaction to finding out the guy was gay. There were some parts that were slow though, but I suppose I'll check it out next week. It makes a decent comedy block with "The Office"

It looks like Earl's list has enough items on it for over 10 seasons (if you go by one entry per episode)

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I don't know why, but I really steered clear of this one just because it was pushed so hard. It really turned me off to see Earl promo's after every damn NBC show. "The critics agree . . ."

Enough already.

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
I thought it had some pretty funny parts but wonder if they will be able to maintain it over the life of the show. I'll give it a couple of more weeks and see how it goes.

Jim

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm interested because of Jason Lee, but it being on Tuesday nights is going make it tough for me, since I'm not home on Tuesday nights.

Jason

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I realized that really, the underlying concept is essentially the same as Wonderfalls. In the short lived, but equally critically acclaimed series Wonderfalls, slacker Jayne was prompted to help others and thereby reform her defeatest ways by the whispers of inanimate objects. In Earl, he's doing it for instant karma, but either way, it is a great concept.

I hope people who are judging the show soley on the pilot episode, with all the inherent introductions and expositions that premieres have to deal with, will give it another chance.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I don't watch a lot of NBC so I forgot that this show started last night, but I will definitely check it out next week I'm a big fan of Jason Lee.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I watched it and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately it's up against TAR, and my VCR sucks, so I'll have to wait until TAR wraps before I can watch Earl again.

Maybe I'll just wait for the DVD.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
I loved when the DJ at the gay bar put on Randy's favorite song and he did the 'fishing line' move to another guy. I like all the characters and I'm difintely gonna stay tuned.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
I like the dynamic between Jason Lee and Ethan Supplee (who haven't co-starred with each other since Mallrats, if memory recalls). I am definitely proud that Jason Lee got another main role and he really deserves this because this style of character comedy (rather than situational comedy which most comedy tends to be and rather boring at that) suits him more.

I will be trying to tune in every week but will be hard since Tuesday nights seems to be clogged with loads of good shows now (seems like all the good shows moved from Thursday to Tuesday).

Anyway, great pilot episode and one I highly recommend. And all those people who have Del Taco fast food chains should recognize the Del Taco commercial spokesperson playing Earl's elementary friend that he bullied. Funny actor.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Compare this in tone to something else. I got an "Ed" vibe from reading about it, so I stayed away from it. :) But, it's on NBC so I guess I'll be seeing ads for it now that I'm back to watching a few NBC shows again, after a long, NBC-free summer hiatus. :)

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Oh my gosh! Ethan Suplee... I knew he lost a lot of weight, but man does he look great! The show was hilarious, every single bit of it. It is easily going to be in my favorites list. Earl Jr. ha ha.

Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks