Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

My Name is Earl

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
543 replies to this topic

#1 of 544 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted September 20 2005 - 04:14 PM

Quote:
"A slam dunk critical hit." - The Wall Street Journal

You know that guy you see at the convenience store - sort of shifty lookin' fella who buys a pack of smokes, a couple of Lotto scratchers and a "tall boy" at ten in the morning - the kind of guy you wait to come out before you and your family go in...well, that guy is me...or the guy I used to be. Until I discovered Karma - Do good things and good things will happen to you, do bad things and they'll come back to haunt you. Now I know if I want a better life, I need to be a better person...that's why I've made a list of everything I've done wrong, a roadmap to better Karma, and I'm gonna make it right each and every one, I swear.

I haven't watched tv since shows started coming out on DVD, but as chance would have it my projector blew out the other day so I turned on my old set. On came this show with Jason Lee, and it was great! I hope to see more of this. It has the kind of plot concept that could take it anywhere.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#2 of 544 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,401 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 20 2005 - 04:18 PM

Anybody else watch this? Still fairly rough around the edges, but I found the main characters to be quite endearing. I love the pleasant dynamic has with the man who stole his woman away and fathered his illigetimate children. Also love the kind of hijinks Earl seems to get involved in. Him, his brother, and the maid are all engaging personalities. The show exists on a similar plane to "Arrested Development", in which the audience must buy into an alternate universe where zaniness reigns over logic. "Arrested" approaches this plane from the top of the economic latter while "Earl" approaches it from the bottom rung. It's got my attention for next week.

#3 of 544 OFFLINE   Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted September 20 2005 - 05:23 PM

A fun pilot. I'm looking forward to more episodes. Posted Image

#4 of 544 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,683 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted September 20 2005 - 05:41 PM

Started watching it. Quickly became bored and changed the channel.

Posted Image
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#5 of 544 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted September 20 2005 - 05:42 PM

For some reason, this pilot reminded me of "Bottle Rockets" in tone. Given Earl's past, the show is so open-ended, and offers the most hope for a long run on TV.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#6 of 544 OFFLINE   Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor

• 769 posts

Posted September 20 2005 - 11:29 PM

I liked the show. I laughed out loud at his brother's plan to double the money. I'll definitely continue to check it out.
Xbox Gamertag: badlieut

#7 of 544 OFFLINE   Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter

• 1,070 posts

Posted September 20 2005 - 11:45 PM

It's nowhere near as funny or smart as Arrested Development as some critics compared it to. I thought it was funny at parts, the premise is more interesting and funny than the show itself. They went for some obvious laughs, nothing too brilliant...but I found it just entertaining enough to make me want to tune in for the next episode.
 This Are Intentionally Left Blank

#8 of 544 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,232 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 01:56 AM

Not bad, there were moments that gave me a good laugh such as the kickball flashback scene and Earl and his brother's initial reaction to finding out the guy was gay. There were some parts that were slow though, but I suppose I'll check it out next week. It makes a decent comedy block with "The Office"

It looks like Earl's list has enough items on it for over 10 seasons (if you go by one entry per episode)
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#9 of 544 OFFLINE   Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter

• 1,099 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 02:27 AM

I don't know why, but I really steered clear of this one just because it was pushed so hard. It really turned me off to see Earl promo's after every damn NBC show. "The critics agree . . ."

Enough already.
Randy T.
Orlando, FL
ºoº Home of The Mouse!!!

"Oh, come on, guys. It's so simple, maybe you need a refresher course. It's all ball bearings nowadays!"

#10 of 544 OFFLINE   Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 02:44 AM

It's like AD? I thought it was supposed to be a comedy.

#11 of 544 OFFLINE   Jim Douglas

Jim Douglas

Second Unit

• 252 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 02:45 AM

I thought it had some pretty funny parts but wonder if they will be able to maintain it over the life of the show. I'll give it a couple of more weeks and see how it goes.

Jim

#12 of 544 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 03:14 AM

I'm interested because of Jason Lee, but it being on Tuesday nights is going make it tough for me, since I'm not home on Tuesday nights.

Jason

#13 of 544 OFFLINE   Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor

• 905 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 03:58 AM

Quote:
Started watching it. Quickly became bored and changed the channel.

You should have watched the whole thing in order to get a good idea of the show. I dont see how 5 or 10 minutes can give you a clear outlook of the show.

Quote:
It's like AD? I thought it was supposed to be a comedy.

Dem's fightin words.Posted Image
"Do you think the average stormtrooper knows how to install a toilet main"?

#14 of 544 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 05:33 AM

I realized that really, the underlying concept is essentially the same as Wonderfalls. In the short lived, but equally critically acclaimed series Wonderfalls, slacker Jayne was prompted to help others and thereby reform her defeatest ways by the whispers of inanimate objects. In Earl, he's doing it for instant karma, but either way, it is a great concept.

I hope people who are judging the show soley on the pilot episode, with all the inherent introductions and expositions that premieres have to deal with, will give it another chance.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#15 of 544 OFFLINE   Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 07:43 AM

I don't watch a lot of NBC so I forgot that this show started last night, but I will definitely check it out next week I'm a big fan of Jason Lee.

#16 of 544 OFFLINE   AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 08:36 AM

I watched it and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately it's up against TAR, and my VCR sucks, so I'll have to wait until TAR wraps before I can watch Earl again.

Maybe I'll just wait for the DVD.

#17 of 544 OFFLINE   Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 08:47 AM

I loved when the DJ at the gay bar put on Randy's favorite song and he did the 'fishing line' move to another guy. I like all the characters and I'm difintely gonna stay tuned.
"Oh I can hold my breath for a long, long time!"

http://www.dvdprofil....s=TromaFiend02

#18 of 544 OFFLINE   Kong Chang

Kong Chang

Screenwriter

• 1,632 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 10:13 AM

I like the dynamic between Jason Lee and Ethan Supplee (who haven't co-starred with each other since Mallrats, if memory recalls). I am definitely proud that Jason Lee got another main role and he really deserves this because this style of character comedy (rather than situational comedy which most comedy tends to be and rather boring at that) suits him more.

I will be trying to tune in every week but will be hard since Tuesday nights seems to be clogged with loads of good shows now (seems like all the good shows moved from Thursday to Tuesday).

Anyway, great pilot episode and one I highly recommend. And all those people who have Del Taco fast food chains should recognize the Del Taco commercial spokesperson playing Earl's elementary friend that he bullied. Funny actor.
Format Neutral Advocater
Samsung BD-P1200
Toshiba HD-XA2

#19 of 544 OFFLINE   MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 01:07 PM

Compare this in tone to something else. I got an "Ed" vibe from reading about it, so I stayed away from it. Posted Image But, it's on NBC so I guess I'll be seeing ads for it now that I'm back to watching a few NBC shows again, after a long, NBC-free summer hiatus. Posted Image
/Mike

#20 of 544 OFFLINE   RyanAn

RyanAn

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 03:09 PM

Oh my gosh! Ethan Suplee... I knew he lost a lot of weight, but man does he look great! The show was hilarious, every single bit of it. It is easily going to be in my favorites list. Earl Jr. ha ha.

Ryan

Forum Nav Content I Follow