What's new

March of the Penguins to DVD Nov. 29 (1 Viewer)

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
"DVD SPECIAL FEATURES

The DVD release of "March of the Penguins" will include special features for the entire family to enjoy:

"CRITTERCAM : EMPEROR PENGUINS": a first hand underwater look at penguin natural behavior.

"8 BALL BUNNY": a classic WB animated short with Bugs Bunny and a penguin.

Advance teaser of "HAPPY FEET", WB's adorable animated movie in theaters in 2006.

"OF MEN AND PENGUINS": the incredible filmmaking process of the movie. -0-

BASICS

DVD: $28.98 SRP
Street Date: November 29, 2005
Languages: English, Spanish
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish
Running time: 84 mins
MPAA Rating: G
DLBY/SURR DLBY/DGTL (CC) "

GarySchrock

Second Unit

I'm guessing they got the rights to the National Geographic episode of crittercam with the penguins? I love that show, although at times they get a little heavy handed on the environmental message.

Actually, that's one reason I haven't seen the movie yet, since I don't know if they try to hammer an environmental propaganda down your throat. As a result, I'll wait till the show comes out and rent it.

Magnus T

Supporting Actor

Yup, lame.

I'm sure a better version will turn up in R2 land, with BOTH languages. WB lost my money for sure.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's actually one of the least activist nature docs I've seen in years, pretty much entirely focusing on the penguins with little mention of homo sapiens at all. Well worth a trip out to the theater so that you can get the more immersive effect.

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor

Interesting. I could imagine this point of view if the the on-screen talent was lip-synced, but no humans appear in this movie at all. All we have is narration, so I'm not sure why a french narration with sub-titles would be any better than Morgan Freeman's excellent narration in English. If French is your preferred language to speak, then I could understand the point of view.

David Allen

Stunt Coordinator
"Interesting. I could imagine this point of view if the the on-screen talent was lip-synced, but no humans appear in this movie at all. All we have is narration, so I'm not sure why a french narration with sub-titles would be any better than Morgan Freeman's excellent narration in English. If French is your preferred language to speak, then I could understand the point of view."

I thought the French version was told in character voices from the penguin's POV(parents, offspring), and the American version ditched that for a Morgan Freeman classic narration.

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor

If true, I did not know that. As there wasn't a lot of penguin-on-penguin interaction (mostly males holding eggs, etc.), I would think that even the French version would require some narration. Although I honestly can't imagine preferring voiced over penguins, I can see where it would be a very different movie that some might want to see.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's not going to stop me buying it, but you'd still think, that with French actually being the original language and Quebec being part of Region 1, why not have the original track, especially since it's a qualitatively different movie in the original version?

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Yes. The French release was told in character, the US release was narrated by Morgan Freeman. I'm not going to be an advocate for either version, but I would like to have both versions on the same release, sort of like an... let's say... ULTIMATE EDITION. WB does generally fantastic work, but they dropped the ball on this one.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm okay with just the narration by Freeman. Would I like to have seen the French version just for kicks? Sure. But like another person said, I can't imagine preferring a POV told story (like I can fill in my own head what the penguins might have been saying to one another, I don't need a French-voice to tell me) to the Freeman narration.

A day-n-date purchase for me!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Ralphie: "Cold weather sucks. Being a penguin sucks. The Antarctic sucks."

Algernon: "Your egg is slipping. Maybe if you didn't complain so much--maybe paid a little more attention to what you were doing--that wouldn't happen. It's not like you're the only one out here freezing your ass off."

R: "Come on. Let a fella blow off some steam, will ya? Oh, damn. The cameraman's coming this way. Wraaak! WRAAAK! Wraak."

A: "He's gone. You can knock it off with the penguin sounds."

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
LOL. I can't imagine the penguin voice over without it coming off as a comedy, but I haven't seen the French version, however, so maybe it's excellent. Was it as popular in France as it has been here in the US?

While I can certainly understand the desire for both movies, it does sound very much like two different movies rather than a single movie with a different soundtrack. If this is true, I think that the original complaints regarding lack of a French soundtrack are a little simplistic.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I was very satisfied with the Morgan Freeman narration. The PPOV, Penguin Point of View dialouge seems a little hoaky to me.

David Allen

Stunt Coordinator
If you haven't heard the French version, you really can't argue this point. Besides, aren't you all the ones moaning about OAR etc. ?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
No one's arguing. I'm just saying I'm not going to miss it.

You can't really equate this to OAR, simply because a whole different audio track and approach was used for the U.S. release. So for us, the "OAR" audio ***is*** the Morgan Freeman version--that's the version we saw and heard in theaters and that's what is being given to us.

I won't begrudge anyone wanting the French penguin dialogue. I *personally* can live without it.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

This will undoubtedly get flamed, but since you've stated your view, I think it's only fair to give the alternative position. Nature films do not insert environmental arguments to ram views down your throat, but as a necessary piece of information. Since many ecosystems are in imminent danger of destruction, to present a nature film and point out that what you are seeing will not be there for much longer unless we change our ways is responsible reporting, not doom-mongering. Or perhaps you are arguing that we should just bury our heads in the sand and pretend that everything's wonderful and we can carry on gas guzzling and polluting to our hearts' content and these cute little critters will still be there in a few years' time?

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: to Andrew

Regarding the french Version:
review in french

http://dvdrama.com/fiche.php?5410

the french R2 DVD seems perfect with DTS, THX certification, many extras and the whole nine yards. But after reading all the comments on french sites that complain about the "penguin talk" I haven't bought it yet. (though to be fair there is a non narrative track on the DVD as well in DD5.1 only) but somehow even though I have no problems whatsoever with french, I wanna hear Morgan Freeman as well.

I really hate it when they humanise other animals, its OK for Kiddie films but not for documentaries.

BTW the french will get an ultimate/prestige 3DVD version later in the year or early next year.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
So, he asked innocently, should, say, Shaolin Soccer have omitted the Chinese-language track when it was released on DVD? Using that logic...

I'm going to buy this, because I'm pretty sure I would not have watched the French version except maybe as a curiosity. It just strikes me that there's no reason to leave it out (this is an 88 minute movie with seperate WS and FS editions), especially since it was the film's original soundtrack.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Some naturalists argue (with good reason) that this robs the animals of their dignity. Imagine, the argument goes, a tender love scene between humans or a human mother nursing her child and then imposing duck quacks or monkey noises over it. I think the argument can be pushed too far, but I'm uncomfortable with watching animals' natural behaviour trivialised in this way (as opposed to e.g. the deliberate silliness of something like Cats and Dogs). I'm thus very glad there is a 'conventional' voiceover track.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks