What's new

Saturday Night Live - 31st Season (1 Viewer)

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Well, I do not know about you - but when it comes to Saturday Night Live, I am addicted. Last season when I the season finale began to end, hearing the trademark theme music play, each cast member clapping, and seeing Will Ferrel embracing the cast, it was a bit to much for me. My favorite show... gone for the better part of a year. How many excellent potential plots have passed since that blessed finale?

Let's hope that on October 1, 2005, the incredibly funny Steve Carell can work his magic on live television like he has lately with his recent sucess in The Office and 40 Year Old Virgin.

Currently, the musical guest has yet to be announced, but I imagine this show could be a doosie! Having already done the voice of "Gary" on Robert Smiegel's "Ambigously Gay Duo" - he is no stranger. Could there possibly me a live action take on the short animation? :) Any thoughts? Any former fans willing to give this show a second chance?

Ryan

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
I'll watch it, I always give the show a chance and there's usually at least a skit or two that I like, or at least for the musical performer.

If Steve Carell is in fact hosting, then I'll totally give it a shot, he tends to be funny, in small doses anyway.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
It's a good idea to have a season thread for SNL instead of having a thread per episode. It'll cut down on all those people who complain about how the show sucks now.

~T

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
I can not wait for the season premiere. Steve Carrel is very funny and should be good to watch on SNL. I only wish I had an HDTV now.:frowning:

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Only 6 days left and according to last night's repeat of last year's season finale with Will Ferrel, the musical guest will be Kanye West! Kanye has been getting some serious buzz as of late, so it will be interesting to see how everything pans out.

Ryan

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
they better not pass up the chance to lampoon west's rant from a few weeks ago.

Rocky F

Second Unit
I will be watching, although I really wish my local NBC affiliate would start broadcasting HD!

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Straight off the presses at Aint It Cool.com comes the next hosts/musical guests for the coming month or so!!!!

Oct. 1:
Host: Steve Carell
Music: Kanye West

Oct. 8:
Host: Jon Heder
Music: TBA

Oct. 22:
Host: Catherine Zeta-Jones
Music: Franz Ferdinand

Oct. 29:
Host: Lance Armstrong
Music: Sheryl Crow

This sounds like a very promising start to the season!!

Any speculation on possible sketches? I have a feeling that Maya and Tina will have little if anything to do with this season as they are with child - I wish them the best of luck. Also, I forsee Kenan Thompson becoming a regular cast member.

Ryan

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Big "whoa" effect for a minute seeing SNL in 16x9. It had been a while since I've seen anything 16x9 on my computer monitor.

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
You know that Kanye West peformance was the best i've seen in a looong time. Those strings made Golddigger and Touch The Sky pop. I need to find those songs...

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I forgot about the season premiere until about 12:15 - they've had repeats for so long I just assumed it was a repeat. So I turned it on at 12:15 (during WU) and did a double take when I saw it in widescreen.

Then they went to Horatio doing the news and I turned it off. They got him to replace Tina on WU? He's the last person in the cast I would have picked to fill in for Tina. I'll watch next week instead of watching half an episode and judging it.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Scott, it was a joke in a way. The said "Weekend Update with Tina Fey and Amy Poehler" and had Horatio on as a bit, Amy even made fun of it. Plus, earlier on, Horatio did a really good job playing Aaron Neville in this sketch -

So far, the best sketch was the homemaker bit with Bill Hader and his Al Pacino. It is pretty rare for a new castmember to get such a pop from the crowd, but when he left - the audience was rolling. Also, the Weekend Update bit with the Impression Off was pretty funny. "Guess who I am? Bill HATER!" :) http://thelonelyisland.com/

Steve Carrell's monolouge was friggin hilarious - great musical.

It is great to see that Kenan and Finesse made it to full fledged castmembers. "Lorne, you were about to call me Kenan and I've been on the show for three seasons." :) The Mike Meyers/Kayne West bit was a nice thing as they could of easily avoided it. "I guess I'll just have to fall back on my Canadian citizenship."

Overall a really good season opener - I only wish there was a reference to Ace and Gary since Steve Carrell did a voice. However the Debbie Downer sketch made up for it!!

Ryan

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Man I must be getting really old. The only skit of the night that [I thought] was funny was Debbie Downer/Bob Bummer.

The cartoon was awful.

Kenan/Finesse/Lorne in the hallway -- what?

News was atrocious including the Hader part.

The arguing couple in the restarant was just so bad -- was it any funnier the first time they did it?

Between the monologue and News was just pitiful. I can't remember laughing at a single joke or even part of a skit. The airline skit -- what a bomb.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
I do not know why I continue to watch it every week, but this season premier was terrible.
I try to like the show, but this was just aweful.
I also thought Kanye West was nothing to write home about. Average @ best.

Kyle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kyle
Did anyone catch who next weeks musical guest is? I'm suprised she was invited back so soon, if at all.

Ashlee Simpson

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
I was rolling....bush playing the 9/11 card was hilarious. The anderson cooper impression was spot on. The new guy's Pacino impression killed me. Strong start; a little bit of fizzle toward the end.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Kyle, she's coming back for the ratings. Everybody's going to watch to see if she screws up again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks