Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Saturday Night Live - 31st Season

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
350 replies to this topic

#1 of 351 OFFLINE   RyanAn

RyanAn

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted September 19 2005 - 04:31 PM

Well, I do not know about you - but when it comes to Saturday Night Live, I am addicted. Last season when I the season finale began to end, hearing the trademark theme music play, each cast member clapping, and seeing Will Ferrel embracing the cast, it was a bit to much for me. My favorite show... gone for the better part of a year. How many excellent potential plots have passed since that blessed finale?

Let's hope that on October 1, 2005, the incredibly funny Steve Carell can work his magic on live television like he has lately with his recent sucess in The Office and 40 Year Old Virgin.

Currently, the musical guest has yet to be announced, but I imagine this show could be a doosie! Having already done the voice of "Gary" on Robert Smiegel's "Ambigously Gay Duo" - he is no stranger. Could there possibly me a live action take on the short animation? Posted Image Any thoughts? Any former fans willing to give this show a second chance?

Ryan

#2 of 351 OFFLINE   nickGreenwood

nickGreenwood

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted September 20 2005 - 02:02 AM

I'll watch it, I always give the show a chance and there's usually at least a skit or two that I like, or at least for the musical performer.

If Steve Carell is in fact hosting, then I'll totally give it a shot, he tends to be funny, in small doses anyway.
-Nick G.

"The number of people whose permission I need before I can do whatever the hell I want..." - Josh Lyman

#3 of 351 OFFLINE   Thi Them

Thi Them

Producer

• 3,650 posts

Posted September 20 2005 - 02:49 AM

It's a good idea to have a season thread for SNL instead of having a thread per episode. It'll cut down on all those people who complain about how the show sucks now.

~T

#4 of 351 OFFLINE   KevinJ

KevinJ

Supporting Actor

• 558 posts

Posted September 20 2005 - 06:40 AM

SNL'll be in HD this coming season btw.

#5 of 351 OFFLINE   Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell

Screenwriter

• 1,186 posts
  • LocationNY Capital Region

Posted September 20 2005 - 07:02 AM

that's reason enough to watch it a couple times, at least.

#6 of 351 OFFLINE   Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor

• 905 posts

Posted September 20 2005 - 07:15 AM

I can not wait for the season premiere. Steve Carrel is very funny and should be good to watch on SNL. I only wish I had an HDTV now.Posted Image
"Do you think the average stormtrooper knows how to install a toilet main"?

#7 of 351 OFFLINE   RyanAn

RyanAn

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted September 25 2005 - 10:15 AM

Only 6 days left and according to last night's repeat of last year's season finale with Will Ferrel, the musical guest will be Kanye West! Kanye has been getting some serious buzz as of late, so it will be interesting to see how everything pans out.

Ryan

#8 of 351 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,240 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted September 25 2005 - 11:11 AM

they better not pass up the chance to lampoon west's rant from a few weeks ago.
facebook.com/whotony

#9 of 351 OFFLINE   Rocky F

Rocky F

Second Unit

• 371 posts

Posted September 25 2005 - 11:21 AM

I will be watching, although I really wish my local NBC affiliate would start broadcasting HD!
Rocky

#10 of 351 OFFLINE   RyanAn

RyanAn

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted October 01 2005 - 02:19 PM

Straight off the presses at Aint It Cool.com comes the next hosts/musical guests for the coming month or so!!!!

Oct. 1:
Host: Steve Carell
Music: Kanye West

Oct. 8:
Host: Jon Heder
Music: TBA

Oct. 22:
Host: Catherine Zeta-Jones
Music: Franz Ferdinand

Oct. 29:
Host: Lance Armstrong
Music: Sheryl Crow

This sounds like a very promising start to the season!!

Any speculation on possible sketches? I have a feeling that Maya and Tina will have little if anything to do with this season as they are with child - I wish them the best of luck. Also, I forsee Kenan Thompson becoming a regular cast member.

Ryan

#11 of 351 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted October 01 2005 - 04:20 PM

Big "whoa" effect for a minute seeing SNL in 16x9. It had been a while since I've seen anything 16x9 on my computer monitor.

#12 of 351 OFFLINE   Jason Adams

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor

• 631 posts

Posted October 01 2005 - 04:23 PM

You know that Kanye West peformance was the best i've seen in a looong time. Those strings made Golddigger and Touch The Sky pop. I need to find those songs...

#13 of 351 OFFLINE   Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted October 01 2005 - 04:37 PM

I forgot about the season premiere until about 12:15 - they've had repeats for so long I just assumed it was a repeat. So I turned it on at 12:15 (during WU) and did a double take when I saw it in widescreen.

Then they went to Horatio doing the news and I turned it off. They got him to replace Tina on WU? He's the last person in the cast I would have picked to fill in for Tina. I'll watch next week instead of watching half an episode and judging it.

#14 of 351 OFFLINE   RyanAn

RyanAn

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted October 01 2005 - 04:54 PM

Scott, it was a joke in a way. The said "Weekend Update with Tina Fey and Amy Poehler" and had Horatio on as a bit, Amy even made fun of it. Plus, earlier on, Horatio did a really good job playing Aaron Neville in this sketch -

So far, the best sketch was the homemaker bit with Bill Hader and his Al Pacino. It is pretty rare for a new castmember to get such a pop from the crowd, but when he left - the audience was rolling. Also, the Weekend Update bit with the Impression Off was pretty funny. "Guess who I am? Bill HATER!" Posted Image http://thelonelyisland.com/

Steve Carrell's monolouge was friggin hilarious - great musical.

It is great to see that Kenan and Finesse made it to full fledged castmembers. "Lorne, you were about to call me Kenan and I've been on the show for three seasons." Posted Image The Mike Meyers/Kayne West bit was a nice thing as they could of easily avoided it. "I guess I'll just have to fall back on my Canadian citizenship."

Overall a really good season opener - I only wish there was a reference to Ace and Gary since Steve Carrell did a voice. However the Debbie Downer sketch made up for it!!

Ryan

#15 of 351 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 2,060 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 01 2005 - 05:37 PM

Man I must be getting really old. The only skit of the night that [I thought] was funny was Debbie Downer/Bob Bummer.

The cartoon was awful.

Kenan/Finesse/Lorne in the hallway -- what?

News was atrocious including the Hader part.

The arguing couple in the restarant was just so bad -- was it any funnier the first time they did it?

Between the monologue and News was just pitiful. I can't remember laughing at a single joke or even part of a skit. The airline skit -- what a bomb.

#16 of 351 OFFLINE   MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor

• 936 posts

Posted October 02 2005 - 02:14 AM

I do not know why I continue to watch it every week, but this season premier was terrible.
I try to like the show, but this was just aweful.
I also thought Kanye West was nothing to write home about. Average @ best.

#17 of 351 OFFLINE   Kyle

Kyle

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted October 02 2005 - 02:49 AM

Did anyone catch who next weeks musical guest is? I'm suprised she was invited back so soon, if at all.

Ashlee Simpson

Kyle out-

#18 of 351 OFFLINE   Chuck C

Chuck C

Screenwriter

• 2,237 posts

Posted October 02 2005 - 02:50 AM

I was rolling....bush playing the 9/11 card was hilarious. The anderson cooper impression was spot on. The new guy's Pacino impression killed me. Strong start; a little bit of fizzle toward the end.

#19 of 351 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted October 02 2005 - 04:26 AM

Kyle, she's coming back for the ratings. Everybody's going to watch to see if she screws up again.

#20 of 351 OFFLINE   Jeff*S*C*

Jeff*S*C*

Second Unit

• 290 posts

Posted October 02 2005 - 11:17 AM

The Mike Myers and Kanye bit was my favorite part.