What's new

How I Met Your Mother - ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I liked the twist at the end.

Cobie Smulders (Robin) is hot.

I didn't like Marshall all that much, just a little too neutered for my taste.

I hope the writing gets better on the show, though.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I liked it. A lot of the jokes were forced, but it is a pilot, after all. The key thing is they have an appealing cast, and I like all of the characters. That's a good base. The funny should follow naturally as the characters develop.

The twist at the end caught me by surprise. Nicely done.

Cobie Smulders (what a name!) is indeed a hottie, and very adorable as well. Jason Segel is playing a smarter, slighly more mature (and less pathetic) character than he did on "Freaks & Geeks" & "Undeclared". Hopefully he gets a chance to develop some. Josh Radnor is fine, if a bit bland, as Ted. And Neil Patrick Harris is very funny in a slightly toned-down version of his Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle persona.

For me the icing on the cake is the delectible Alyson Hannigan as Lily. I hope this show stays around if for no other reason than I need my weekly Aly fix. :D

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Cobie Smulders (is that really her name?) and Neil Patrick Harris were worth watching. The others? Meh.

Rob

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Good start. I'll keep watching. I like the pairing of Alyson and Jason and NPH was pretty funny. I hope the cab driver's at least a semi-regular. He had some really good lines.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
It's OK and the girls are pretty, but it was nowhere near as funny as AD before it on another network.

I liked the twist; how long will it take before we meet Mother? He was calling the other guys "uncle" even though they were not his brothers, so "Aunt Robin" might not be her sister?

It really isn't that difficult to open champagne without putting someone's eye out.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I think this one will be a keeper in my viewing schedule. I'll give it a chance.

I like all the characters. I like Lilly (Willow) :) And I am even liking NPH but I hope he gets a little more charactor development. If not, he might get boring.

Cobie was sexie in her PJs :)

as far as AD goes. Assuming you mean Arrested Development... Can't stand it. Gave it 2 episodes last year and quickly gave it up. Too over the top for me. Gets old fast.

If you mean American Dad, I give that a thumbs up :)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Y'know I was hoping I was the only one who noticed Smulders. :)

I enjoyed the show. I also liked Kitchen Confidential, which makes things a tad difficult now.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I was worried about the Neil Patrick Harris character becoming a repetetive nuisance, but late in the episode, he came through with the biggest laugh of the show for me with his delivery of the line "A simple 'no' would have sufficed".

Regards,

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Overall, this show was a big "meh" for me as well. NPH's character was, for me, the best part. My biggest gripe is that the main character does nothing really distinguishable. I'd rather watch the supporting cast doing anything than watch him advancing the story. The twist at the end will keep me watching for a week or two, but I'm not optimistic. In the end, I was glad I watched "Kitchen Confidential" and recorded this, which is funny because both feature actors from "Buffy" (Nicholas Brendon and Alyson Hannigan) and "Freaks and Geeks" (John Francis Daley and Jason Segel). As I've mentioned before, these shows combined with his episode of "Arrested Development" and Jay Baruchel on "Just Legal" was Paul Feig legacy in overdrive. Too bad this one let something get in the way.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Agree with Jesse though I liked the show better than "meh" level. NPH is very funny and Alyson is always charming, but the lead character is a big zero.

What was up with the commercial breaks? They had 2 in like the first 8-9 minutes.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The commercial breaks were just as chaotic for the second episode, but overall, pretty funny.

It would appear that Barney ends up with Robin. He's referred as "Uncle Barney" at the beginning of the episode, and it might turn out they end up together after just hanging together for a few years or so.

I might have to put Cobie Smulders (Robin) on my short list to play Wonder Woman.

Natalie F

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't really like the twist at the end because they spend the whole episode making you think that this is the couple you should be rooting for, they build it up, and it turns out she's not her.

It's not completely without merit, but it's not the best either.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I agree. It would be pointless for the writers to have Ted pine for Robin, though realistically that's what he would be doing because "there is no 'off' switch." We know his pining is for nothing and I would expect our sympathy for him to take a hit too because of that knowledge. For this show I'm not sure if "it's the journey, not the destination" works.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This show is the closest thing to "Friends" in terms of execution and feel since that show went off the air.

Whether that's a good thing is another topic.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
I really like this show. It makes me laugh, the cast has good chemistry, and Robin is friggin' hot.

Good show, I'm sticking with it. I hope more people give it a shot.

Doug

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Believe me! There is no off switch and it sucks!

As you may guess this episode hit close to home. For all of you have received the "I like you as a friend" speach, give a thumbs up.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks