What's new

Nancy Drew / Hardy Boys Mysteries Season 2? (1 Viewer)

julienUK

Stunt Coordinator
I was very happy when the first season came, I prefer the Nancy drew eps as the Hardy boys are just annoying to me...

And am looking forward to the second season...

Any news on this?
As the first set was out about the same time as Murder, she Wrote and with the second season of this series announced I was just wondering!

Thank you.

Julien.

David Brent

Stunt Coordinator
I'm really hoping that we get more Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew!

I only had vague memories of watching this at the time it was on, but the DVDs have proven immensely enjoyable.

Apparently a new Nancy Drew film is in development so perhaps this might encourage Universal to continue with these releases... I just hope we don't have to wait until the film comes out until we get more!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i liked the ND eps much better too- by far.
but sadly, from what i recall, that character got shafted in the second season, with only a couple solo eps and the majority of her appearences folded into Hardy Boys team-up episodes- and i think PSM may even have been replaced before the season was out (or it may have been the third season).

i would still pick up a second season as well, but it seems like a long shot to me- unless there is a tie-in opportunity coming up.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I just finished this set (even though I had purchased it the week of release) and I have to agree that the Nancy Drew stories (and Nancy herself) have more charm and intrigue to them. George is a hoot.

Looking at TV.com the second season had 19 episodes and there were no standalone Nancy Drew episodes. And Pamela Sue Martin was replaced for the last ND story by Janet Julian.

The third and last season had eight episodes and no Nancy Drew.

Even though, I still would also like to see Season 2 and 3 on DVD, maybe together at the same time. Were sales of Season 1 good enough? Will people buy subsequent seasons if Universal releases them on double-sided discs?
-

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I have a list with 19 in all. 3 Nancy Drews with Pamela Sue Martin, and 3 Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys combos with Janet Louise Johnson.

That being said, I want season 2 because of some of the guest stars. They include Jaclyn Smith, Rick Springfield, Maureen McCormick, Melanie Griffith, Edd Byrnes, Troy Donahue, Tommy Sands and Valerie Bertinelli.

Can't wait!

Glenn

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
This is not about Season 2 but I wanted to say that I hope that if it does come out that whoever writes the episode synopses does a better job.

For the last two episodes of Season 1, there are errors. In the Ghostwriter's Cruise, it says the writer and his "daughter" are attacked. It was his niece and they both weren't attacked. He and Nancy were attacked and by an exploding light bulb.

The last episode says "star quarterback" Mark Harmon but he is the placekicker.

Jon Baker

Second Unit
I hope Universal releases the rest of these because I really dug Janet Louise Johnson as the new Nancy Drew. I thought the 1st season set did very well saleswise.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I never saw the 2nd season when it aired or in syndication. I might "blind-buy" this one if it gets released. I liked S1 but that's the only one that I saw of this series.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
The 2nd season has two HB/ND combos with Pamela Sue Martin ("HB & ND Meet Dracula" and "The Phantom of Hollywood" two parts each) and three stand-alone Nancy's with Martin ("ND's Love Match","The Lady on Thursday at 10", and "Will the Real Santa Clause Please Stand Up")

The combo episodes were huge ratings winners and the Hardy Boys outpaced Nancy Drew consistently (due to the teen girl popularity of Shaun Cassidy.) The producers decided that, in the future, they would absorb Nancy Drew into the Hardy Boys as combo episodes and Pamela Sue Martin walked off the series after completing her three stand alone episodes.

Janet Louise Johnson was brought in to replace Martin for the balance of the 2nd season (the two part "Voodoo Doll" combo and two single episode combos) and then the Nancy Drew character was completely done away with for the third and final season (half season really)

ElizM

Agent
Real Name
I have S1 as well and very much look forward to having the rest of the series on DVD?

Does anyone have a specific contact name we might write and ask when and if they plan on a S2 release?

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
With Universal's announcement of Season 2...the question is, will these be edited due to music clearances? The first 2 episodes alone contain several Paul Williams tunes, a couple of Shaun Cassidy tunes, and a cover of the Beatles Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da.

I'm also hoping they keep the teasers that showed before the theme song as well as episode recaps for the 2-parters. Some of the season 1 eps had teasers intact and some didn't. I guess we'll see.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Just when I was beginning to lose hope... the announcement comes!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

I really can't wait! I haven't seen these since they originally aired in the 70's! I am surprised though... that they didn't just go ahead and combine seasons 2 & 3 since according to the episode lists I seen there is only like 8 episodes in season 3. At this point I am just thankful to have season 2 come out... though I would hate to be so close to completing the series and those last few episodes not be released.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I have a question for Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew series "vets" :)

I have the S1 set and enjoyed it. Were there any major changes in cast or format of the series after S1? Was Pamela Sue Martin replaced as "Nancy"?

[edit] After a quick check at TV.COM, it looks like S2 is the same cast as S1. But it also shows Pamela Martin in S3. I thought I'd remembered a post here somewhere that Pamela Martin was replaced at some point in the series.

beatlejam

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Otto
There are 10 episodes in Season 3 because a couple of the episodes are
2-parters.

I am so excited about the Season Two release, too!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

I have it (and Season Three) on VHS, but they are syndicated edits with commercials, varying quality, etc. To have the episodes uncut and pristine will be awesome!

With this and Season Two of The Incredible Hulk coming out, Universal is making me very happy! :)

beatlejam

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Otto
Jeff,

Yes, late in the season (beginning with the episodes "Voodoo Doll" parts 1 and 2, and continuing with "Mystery on the Avalanche Express" and "Arson and Old Lace"), Janet Louise Johnson takes over as Nancy Drew from Pamela Sue Martin.

By Season Three, they dropped Nancy Drew altogether and it was just the Hardy Boys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks