Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Rita... Here We Go Again

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
142 replies to this topic

#41 of 143 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 09:28 AM

Lots of folks on the Third Coast are arriving in my neighborhood, we call it South Central Texas.
They may wish they'd gone on up to the Metroplex.
The San Antone forecast for Saturday is now:
Rain and thunderstorms likely. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Cloudy, with a high near 92. Windy, with a north northwest wind 25 to 30 mph increasing to between 35 and 40 mph. Winds could gust as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#42 of 143 OFFLINE   Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann

Producer

• 3,515 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 09:38 AM

The good news is that it became a CAT-5 well in advance of reaching the coast which means it will likely lose quite a lot of power before Saturday. The worse scenario is when a hurricane reaches CAT-5 just prior to landfall, but in this case it is highly unlikely to be able to maintain that level of energy for more than 24 hours, and certainly 60 hours. I think Katrina was only able to remain a CAT-5 for less than 12 hours and was on the verge of being a CAT-3 when it hit New Orleans. Still, even a CAT-3 can do massive dammage. Anyone know what the tide will be like Saturday morning?

#43 of 143 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 09:40 AM

Since we're injecting humor into the thread now as a sort of psychological balm, I'll make note that we have one Henry Gale contributing to our hurricane Rita thread. Posted Image

Everyone be safe. Posted Image

#44 of 143 OFFLINE   Colton

Colton

Supporting Actor

• 795 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 09:55 AM

Posted Image

RITA'S RAGE!!! Bigger and badder than Katrina!

- Colton

#45 of 143 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,930 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted September 21 2005 - 10:17 AM

Here's a recent wire story:
http://news.yahoo.co....kxBHNlYwN0bQ--

I'm glad to see the news media is not trying to instil panic in the public. Posted Image

RobertR, I'd rather put up with earthquakes than hurricanes. At least historically, earthquakes here have occurred during periods of mild weather. If your house can't be occupied, you can then camp outdoors for a while. But hurricanes by definition take place during periods of very bad weather.
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#46 of 143 OFFLINE   Justin_S

Justin_S

Producer

• 3,576 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 10:18 AM

I have relatives down in Baytown. They have a lovely house right on the bay, so I fear it may be doomed. Anyway, they're coming up here (I'm just south of the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex) tonight along with some relatives I have in Houston. I really hope Galveston survives this. That place is like a second home to me.

#47 of 143 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,749 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted September 21 2005 - 10:32 AM

One of the news sites had a headline yesterday: "Rita Begins to Roar"
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#48 of 143 OFFLINE   Robert_Z

Robert_Z

Screenwriter

• 1,017 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 10:51 AM

Colin, what I read was very vague and simply said catastrophic flooding in the Texas hill country. Sounds dire, but unless we get like 3 feet of rain, I can't imagine how this could be any different than any other storms in terms of rain. As far as I know, hurricane rain flows into drains, dries with the sun and soaks into soil as fast as any other rain. Basically, if you live in the area and have flooded or come close before, it will probably happen again. As you said, maybe the "catastrophic" events will occur at lakes/rivers, possibly further up the hill country.

#49 of 143 OFFLINE   David Galindo

David Galindo

Screenwriter

• 1,264 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 11:08 AM

My sister just moved to Houston, and now we're moving her back temporarily. Man, how crazy. But it looks like everyone is ready for this storm...government, rescue crews, shelters...so perhaps it wont be as big a catastrophe as Katrina.

#50 of 143 OFFLINE   Robert_Z

Robert_Z

Screenwriter

• 1,017 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 11:13 AM

This is a difficult decision for my parents. They live near Corpus Christi. I told them to evacuate up here, but I just saw on the local weather broadcast that Rita is expected to pass only 50-75 miles east of Austin and it will still be a category 1 hurricane at that time. Geez. If the storm does follow this course, my parents will be a lot safer down there (although Corpus already ordered mandatory evacuation). Heck, I am thinking about evacuating Austin. I live in one of these dime-a-dozen houses, which I doubt can stand up against hurricane-force winds, or even tropical storm winds for that matter.

#51 of 143 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,565 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 11:14 AM

I don’t disagree with you, Dennis. I’d rather deal with an earthquake too, especially because California has worked hard to make buildings here more resistant to earthquake damage, as well as the fact that earthquakes are much shorter in duration. I’m just saying that if a “Big One” hits, people here are going to be asked the same questions about living in a place that’s subject to big natural disasters.

#52 of 143 OFFLINE   Robert_Z

Robert_Z

Screenwriter

• 1,017 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 11:17 AM

Maybe not in terms of lives lost, but in terms of $$$, it may be bigger. You know, when you hear on the news that hurricane ___ caused X amount of damage. Rita may set a record.

#53 of 143 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,749 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted September 21 2005 - 11:55 AM

It's rather disconcerting that two of the Top 5 most intense hurricanes ever recorded happen within 3 weeks of each other. Posted Image
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#54 of 143 OFFLINE   James St

James St

Supporting Actor

• 959 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 11:57 AM

Make that 898 mb. Thats not even in the eye. This one may break the record...

#55 of 143 OFFLINE   Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor

• 829 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City

Posted September 21 2005 - 12:05 PM

So we’ll finally get to use all of those names that start with Delta & Gamma? Posted Image

Just kidding of course.....
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

#56 of 143 OFFLINE   Blu

Blu

Screenwriter

• 1,360 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 12:06 PM

How did Rita explode into such a powerful storm so quickly?

#57 of 143 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,613 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 12:09 PM

Blu, well for the last day or so, the news said it has to do with the warmest part of the water in the Gulf. Which I heard was about 90 degrees. Thats what pushed it to CAT 5

all-banner.jpg

#58 of 143 OFFLINE   D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 12:26 PM

Actually, I think that this might be helpful. Just three weeks ago, an awful ot of people that could have evacuated chose not to because they were pretty sure that it wouldn't be that bad. Even the near apocalyptic prediction from the National Weather Service didn't sway many people. As long as there is plenty of time to evacuate, why not encourage people to do so? Besides, it's not like this isn't the third most powerful hurricane on record or anything.
Scott

#59 of 143 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,733 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 12:46 PM

This monster seems to be heading straight towards Crawford, Texas.
Cees

#60 of 143 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 12:53 PM

It's an ill wind that blows no good.
John Heywood

Thanks Cees...even though it's going through my home first that does bring a smile.
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-