Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Staining Gurus

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Ben_Caoile

Ben_Caoile

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted September 18 2005 - 01:45 PM

I am working on DIY speaker stands, a la "TNT Stubby". I've chosen Mahogany as the wood (this wood is freakin dense) Posted Image. I am currenty in the process of finishing my stain with a urethane coating. I was wondering if sanding with 220 is required before applying a 2nd coat (per the instructions)? I'm scared the finish may not come out right.
"The ideal home theater doesn't necessarily need magnitude (huge speakers, giant TV screens, exorbitant budgets) to be effective. It needs the judicious balance of application and taste in the melding of all key elements, so no one element outshines (or worse, detracts) from the others." Roger...

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge

Producer

• 3,719 posts

Posted September 18 2005 - 02:01 PM

I assume you're using Minwax poly? I gave up on sanding with 220 on poly a couple of years ago. I much prefer using 600 grit paper. I found myself sanding off the poly as well as the stain even lightly sanding with 220.

I also gave up on Minwax poly. I'd contact Old Dad's and find out of they have an unfinished furniture dealer near you that sells their polys under a house name. I started using their polys a couple of years ago and will never go back to Minwax ever again. It just looks like plastic vs. the Old Dad's stuff which really looks like a fine finish.
Brian Bunge
RAD Home Theater

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Ben_Caoile

Ben_Caoile

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted September 18 2005 - 02:11 PM

Wow that was quick, thanx. Yes I am using miniwax. Their stain is working to my liking. I'm gonna go ahead and try 600 then because I've already applied the 1st coat. Thanx for the advice, as staining is a long and time consuming process. (isn't it?!) Posted Image I couldn't imagine trying the 220 without asking 1st.
"The ideal home theater doesn't necessarily need magnitude (huge speakers, giant TV screens, exorbitant budgets) to be effective. It needs the judicious balance of application and taste in the melding of all key elements, so no one element outshines (or worse, detracts) from the others." Roger...

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge

Producer

• 3,719 posts

Posted September 18 2005 - 03:37 PM

I've used the Minwax wipe on polys from time to time when I'm in a hurry and it's all I've got. Even then, I use 600 grit paper. You get a much smoother, silkier finish.
Brian Bunge
RAD Home Theater

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Mike Keith

Mike Keith

Second Unit

• 324 posts

Posted September 20 2005 - 07:26 AM

Realize that all oil base clear coats like the Minwax will amber over time, some consider this a desirable attribute. However, if some of the surface is painted like a project I did, the ambering was a disaster as it turned the whitish paint into a dull piss yellow after a bout a year. I use a waterborne poly clear from Sherwin Williams from now on, just in case.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Ben_Caoile

Ben_Caoile

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 03:52 AM

I used a Red Mahogany stain because I wanted a dark finish (not just because I used mahogany Posted Image), they recommended against using a waterborne stain when using that color.