What's new

The Man From UNCLE?? (1 Viewer)

Patricia

Stunt Coordinator
Hi. Does anyone have any idea if "The Man From UNCLE" will ever be released on dvd?

I didn't realize that it hadn't been released and I went to buy it a few months ago and was extremely disappointed.

I would love to have all four seasons released, especially the first, which is generally agreed to be the best.

It's not as if it wouldn't be popular because unless you have some of the old videotapes that were released ten or so years ago, or if you get the one television channel that's been airing them(I don't), there's no way to see them.

Has anyone heard or read anything about it's release?

I'd love to see this again. But I'm starting to get discouraged..:frowning:

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I'm with you, Pat! :)

I'd buy all 104 episodes without hesitation. Same goes with the 29 episodes of The Girl from U.N.C.L.E. , which was outlived even by the series it was spun off from.

Do a search and you'll find an informative earlier topic on the Man from U.N.C.L.E.

Patricia

Stunt Coordinator
Is there a way to suggest to the studio that owns it(Warners, isn't it?) to put this out? And, do they take those kinds of requests into consideration?

This is really the only show that I have been absolutely dying for on dvd.

I couldn't find anything on their website.

Ken Ranke

Agent
I'm almost half way through burning these from American Life network which runs the show on Wed nights. Last weeks episode was the 2nd part of Bridge Of Lions Affair. My guess is season sets will be available once I have between 75 and 80 % burned.:angry:

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I don't get American Life Network on my cable system, but out of curiosity...are they commercial-free and uncut?

Tom.W

Second Unit
Jeff,

The Man from UNCLE'S on American Life are shown with commercials, as with everything else on this network. I'm pretty sure they are timesped, and probably clock in at about 44 minutes. I've checked other shows on this network and found the cuts are minor, due to being timesped.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
It's good to know I'm not missing anything, Tom. I never even heard of that channel until it was mentioned here. Are there other classic series airing on ALN (no doubt also edited)?

Patricia

Stunt Coordinator
Among others they air:
UNCLE
Girl from UNCLE
Courtship of Eddies Father
77 Sunset Strip
Combat
I Spy
Maverick
The FBI
Adventures of Superman

Those are just the ones I recognize. They list all their programs on their website goodtv.com

I don't get this station either through my satellite company. I wish I did. Then I'd get my UNCLE fix.:)

Tom.W

Second Unit
They also are showing the first 1.5-2 seasons of Hawaiian Eye, Surfside 6, Bourbon Street Beat, Sugarfoot, Bronco, and Cheyenne, as well as about four seasons of The FBI. Since these shows are rarely shown anywhere, it's good that there is at least one station presenting them in relatively, almost complete form.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Wasn't there a thread here back in the winter that suggested this show was on its way to DVD?

Patricia

Stunt Coordinator
I think there was. I've lost track of it.
Didn't it also say who to contact to ask about the possible release? Or maybe that was about a different show.

On that topic, is there any way to contact Warner(I guess that's who) to see if they're planning on putting out the dvd? I tried sending an e-mail through their home video web site(customer service) but the reply was that they didn't have that kind of information.

Ideas, anyone?:)

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Warner Bros. wouldn't release U.N.C.L.E. It's was an MGM / UA property for years until Ted Turner bought the pre-1990 MGM library and he put occasional U.N.C.L.E. reruns on TNT. ** IF ** the show ever gets released on DVD, I suspect Ted will release it through MGM / UA though.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I still have many of the shows I taped off of TNT. They liked to run these at around 4:30 or 5AM in the morning.The nice thing is they ran these in 65-70
minute slots so they were uncut. I would also like to see the UNCLE movies that were edited from the tv shows released as well. I know Warner has released these in R2. Maybe we should find out who actually
owns the American rights. Hopefully this won't be as complicated as Get Smart was.

Ken Ranke

Agent
Tom W. and others,
Regarding timesped episodes etc. my edited copies from American Life end up w/ running time of between 47 and 48 mins each. I haven't noticed any glaring cuts by the network for the first 50 episodes. I believe the Second season premier episode, a two parter called Alexander The Greater Affair, wasn't included in the syndicated run by Turner but ALN has run it. For more episode info see this great site.
http://members.aol.com/Wmkoenig/unclepg.htm

Tom.W

Second Unit
Thanks for the clarification, Ken. I know that ALTV's versions are relatively complete, thanks to being timesped. On the other detective shows and westerns, they usually air without teasers. That would allow them to present 47 or 48 minutes per episode. I have checked Superman, which is a little less than 24 minutes.

Patricia

Stunt Coordinator
FrancisP,

Good idea about finding out who owns it. That's what has had me confused. I've heard Warner Bros., and as Jeff pointed out Ted Turner bought it from MGM.

But, does he still own it? Or was it sold to Warner?

It would be nice to sort this out.

Patricia

Stunt Coordinator
Alright, my curiousity is piqued. So I just spent some time and found out something I didn't know.

Back in April, Sony bought out MGM/UA. Everyone else may have known this but I didn't.

So, that means if MGM still had the rights to UNCLE, now Sony does.
That's IF MGM still owned it and not Warner.

My head is starting to hurt...;)

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
Turner bought MGM in the early 80s and then was merged with Time Warner. The show, as are all former MGM properties, is now owned by Warner. The MGM that was bought out by Sony is the former UA (also owners of the Ziv library and Orion/Filmways).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks