-

Photo
- - - - -

The Man From UNCLE??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
686 replies to this topic

#41 of 687 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted March 09 2006 - 06:10 PM

Quote:
This is really one of the biggest missing shows from the 60s, along with The Fugitive, Mission: Impossible and Hawaii Five-O.

Although it started in 1968, Hawaii Five-O is primarily a show from the 1970s -- lasting that entire decade, but I agree that it too should make it to DVD eventually. Posted Image

#42 of 687 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,851 posts

Posted March 10 2006 - 03:17 AM

What was the news? The post with it seems to have been deleted.

As for Hawaii 5-0, TVShowsondvd.com reported this week that it should be coming this year.

#43 of 687 OFFLINE   Pavan_P

Pavan_P

Second Unit

• 321 posts

Posted March 10 2006 - 04:01 AM

The news has been removed. TVShowsonDVD.com will have the latest. If it is even coming.

#44 of 687 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted March 10 2006 - 04:09 AM

Quote:
What was the news? The post with it seems to have been deleted

....I was beginning to think I couldn't see what was right in front of me...thanks for the post, Sam.

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#45 of 687 OFFLINE   Kenneth V

Kenneth V

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted March 12 2006 - 12:48 PM

I sure hope this gets a release before the end of the year. This year is already fantastic with Time Tunnel, VTTBOTS, Wild Wild West, and Hawaii Five-O!

PLEASE Release this show!

#46 of 687 ONLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,413 posts

Posted March 13 2006 - 02:29 AM

I hope this is true also. While watching the 1st season cold war VTTBOTS episodes recently I keep thinking of how much we need this show on DVD.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#47 of 687 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted March 14 2006 - 12:59 AM

I never needed Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea on DVD, but the Man from U.N.C.L.E. and The Girl from U.N.C.L.E. I NEED.

#48 of 687 OFFLINE   Michael Alden

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted March 27 2006 - 04:55 AM

Wow, Jeff# and I agree on something! I spoke with someone last week, very, very big in the DVD industry, who told me that they came up with about 20 hours of outtakes, extras, etc, that they will incorporate into the releases. So, yes it is coming. I won't give the company as obviously it hasn't been "officially" announced yet but those who saw the post a few days ago that was removed should know it.

Now, where the heck is The Fugitive?

#49 of 687 OFFLINE   Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted March 28 2006 - 03:01 AM

Michael, I think it's 12 hours, not 20, but it's still good news. It's very rare to have that much footage shot for a show done that long ago.

Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#50 of 687 OFFLINE   Michael Alden

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted March 28 2006 - 04:29 AM

Gord, to me it's not surprising. To people who were not around in the 60s, it's very hard to comprehend just how big UNCLE was. It kicked off the whole spy craze on TV in the 60s which soon glutted the airwaves. In addition, the show was hugely popular with teens and younger viewers. Hard as it is to believe now, networks didn't really give a shit about attracting younger viewers then, they wanted older viewers who actually had money to spend. So, shows that had great ratings with the younger crowd (UNCLE, Star Trek, The Monkees, Gidget, etc.) were not kept on the air as they did not bring in enough total numbers and the audience they did bring were not what the networks wanted. There was no such thing as demographics then, just total viewers.

Unfortunately, UNCLE suffered in the early 70s in syndication when the parents groups went after violent TV shows. UNCLE was one of the worst offenders and suffered accordingly. Of course now it's nothing to see people killed when a lot of shows show the corpses and what they look like. But at the time, UNCLE was virtually wiped out of the airwaves and so you really had to be around in the 60s to know what a neat show this was and how popular and influencial it was.

#51 of 687 OFFLINE   Mark Oates

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts

Posted March 28 2006 - 05:06 AM

The bizarre thing about the anti-violence backlash that killed UNCLE was that the show actually steered away from violence if anything (compared with, say, Mission Impossible which was never troubled). UNCLE agents were issued with sleep-dart guns, for Waverley's sakes!
J Mark Oates
Do Not Be Afraid. That sound is simply my mind boggling.

#52 of 687 OFFLINE   FrancisP

FrancisP

Screenwriter

• 1,114 posts

Posted March 28 2006 - 05:31 AM

I wish they could include the two movies that were created from the first season episodes. To Trap a Spy included footage that was used in the Vulcan Affair and The Four Steps Affair. The Spy With My Face was created from The Double Affair. However I'm not sure if the movies would be controlled by the movie division which doesn't license or the tv division which apparently does if the removed info is true.

#53 of 687 OFFLINE   Art_AD

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted March 28 2006 - 08:16 AM

I hope they include the "Say Uncle" episode of Please Don't Eat The Daisies TV show as an extra, it is very fun.

#54 of 687 OFFLINE   Michael Alden

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted March 28 2006 - 02:36 PM

Or how about the Hullabaloo episode hosted by David McCallum, in character? Even though it's already out on the MPI set it would be a nice add on.

#55 of 687 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted March 28 2006 - 02:39 PM

To Trap a Spy is the full-length pilot, which was filmed in color and released theatrically. I understand the first season being filmed in black & white for budgetary reasons, but To Trap a Spy was filmed in color and apparently black & white as well, because it's the shorter B & W version that NBC chose to air.

#56 of 687 OFFLINE   Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted March 29 2006 - 03:17 AM

They also shot "The Double Affair" in color and the expanded version was released as the feature "The SPy with My Face".

There is also a color version of the pilot floating around simply called "Solo" which is longer than the aired version but shorter than the "To Trap a Spy" feature.

#57 of 687 OFFLINE   Michael Alden

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted March 29 2006 - 03:44 AM

Quote:
There is also a color version of the pilot floating around simply called "Solo" which is longer than the aired version but shorter than the "To Trap a Spy" feature.

There may actually be as many as 4 different versions of the pilot, not counting To Trap a Spy which would make 5. There is the black and white version of The Vulcan Affair. There was also a color version of The Vulcan Affair that I have taped off a station. They basically took the color footage used for the movie and recut it exactly as the episode, put on 2nd season color opening credits and put the closing credits in a sepia tone. Then there is the original black and white pilot with Solo opening credits. And finally, although I don't have it, someone was selling a color version of the Solo pilot. As I don't have this I can't confirm if it's legit or not.

#58 of 687 OFFLINE   Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted March 29 2006 - 06:56 AM

I have the color version of the "Solo" pilot, and it runs roughly 65 mins.

#59 of 687 OFFLINE   Carlos V III

Carlos V III

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts

Posted March 29 2006 - 07:02 AM

If your cable system carries ALN-American Life Network (I believe that's what it's called) they have been running these and are currently up to Season 3 Episode 8 "The Candidate's Wife Affair" which airs tonight. Since they started on Season 3 they have been alternating airing Season 3 and Season 1 episodes each week. They just recently aired the color version of "Solo".
----------------------------
"Roll for initiative, Monkeyboy!
Hoody Hoo!

#60 of 687 OFFLINE   Kenneth V

Kenneth V

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted March 29 2006 - 03:11 PM

I hope that the first season sells good enough to bring out the whole series. I would buy all four seasons plus the eight movies that were made too. The studio that owns this show better not disappoint.

Forum Nav Content I Follow