What's new

'Event Horizon' SE: New Information! (1 Viewer)

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
As usual, the BBFC have proven to be the first 'official' source of information for an upcoming DVD.

Can't wait to see this, especially if the seamless branching DC is available!

Anyway, here are the details so far....

"EVENT HORIZON - SECRETS, THE POINT OF NO RETURN, THE UNSEEN EVENT HORIZON"

00:02:45:21 SECRETS: DELETED/EXTENDED SCENES - 1. BRIEFING SCENE
00:00:51:20 SECRETS: DELETED/EXTENDED SCENES - 2. EXTENDED MEDICAL BAY SCENE
00:06:16:05 SECRETS: DELETED/EXTENDED SCENES - 3. EXTENDED BURNING MAN CONFRONTATION
00:01:50:13 THE POINT OF NO RETURN: THE REVOLVING CORRIDOR
00:01:12:12 THE POINT OF NO RETURN: THE CREW GATHERS
00:01:34:09 THE POINT OF NO RETURN: SHOOTING WIRE WORK
00:03:26:01 THE POINT OF NO RETURN: THE DARK INSIDE
00:02:53:24 THE UNSEEN EVENT HORIZON: UNFILMED RESCUE SCENE
00:03:41:10 THE UNSEEN EVENT HORIZON: CONCEPTUAL ART MONTAGE

Plus, (and this sounds REALLY good...):

"EVENT HORIZON - 5 PART DOCUMENTARY"

00:14:53:00 THE MAKING OF EVENT HORIZON - INTO THE JAWS OF DARKNESS
00:22:45:18 THE BODY OF THE BEAST
00:19:51:21 LIBERATE TUTUME EX INFERNIS
00:18:39:02 THE SCALE TO HELL
00:26:34:02 THE WOMB OF FEAR

I guess all this means that the months (years?) of rumors can stop... An Event Horizon SE is definitely on the way!

Iain Jackson

Second Unit
There is a guy on the IMDb forum for Event Horizon who has been claiming to be the DVD producer for the special edition. He seemed fairly legitimate, and these specs pretty much match up exactly with what he said would be on the disc.

Unfortunately, he has also gone on record as saying that there WON'T be an extended version of the film - I think it was something to do with the original elements for the deleted scenes being lost, so there was no way they'd be able to recut them into the film without a dramatic variation in quality...

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I loved this movie. It is a guilty pleasure to me but I still think it is also a pretty good movie.

But beware... It is very creepy. It isn't really for the faint of heart and it deals with a controversial topic to some.

In fact, I was pretty unsettled after watching the movie. I guess this means it worked.

As far as the SE version coming out, I really hope there is an extended version. It wouldn't really be worth me double dipping for just the bonus stuff. I would if the movie is longer, different etc.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Guilty pleasure for me, mostly on the strength of the production design and the overall atmosphere of the film. I'll double dip for a new 16x9 transfer.

- Walter.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I really like this movie, but haven't bought it because it isn't 16x9 enhanced. I would jump all over a new edition first day it's released.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
I must admit that some scenes scared me more than any other movie ever. And movies never really scare me. Something about the lighting and the motion. I was genuinely creeped out. And I pretty much hate everything the director's done. :) I didn't like any other parts of the movie however.

Darcy Hunter

Stunt Coordinator
I really enjoyed this film when it originally was released, however, I haven't revisisted it in some time. It had some very effective moments, especailly in the first half, all pretty much attributed to great production design and excellent photography by Adrian Biddle (Alien, Aliens, Thelma & Louise). It kinda falls apart in the home stretch, but does have a nice downer of an ending. I will say that it has to be Paul W.S. Anderson's best effort as director (how's that for damning with faint praise) although like all his films, this one is highly derivative of other, better films, most notably Alien, Hellraiser, The Shining, and a bit of The Black Hole for good measure. Having said all that, I would buy an anamorphic version of the film to soak up all the juicy visuals, and if the 5.1 mix is the same as the Laser Disc release (which was reference) that would seal the deal.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I only saw bits of this b4. I am one who likes creepy and atmospheric over jolty BOO!!! Is it worth a spin, guys?

;) d

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will

Definitely! I'm not a huge fan of cheap-ish cheesey horror like GHOST SHIP and FEARDOTCOM, but EVENT HORIZON really is superb. The effects are pretty good (especially some of the make-up SFX), and some moments, particularly in the first half, really generate a very tense and disturbing atmosphere. The soundtrack is great, with one of the most bizarre choices of end credits music I've ever heard (works great though)!

I saw it twice in theaters in '97, then bought the laserdisc (and I agree, the 5.1 was stunning). I now have the DVD, but the thought of a new special edition has been keeping me alive for years!

I also agree about some of the other movies the director has gone on to. They make me want to tear my own eyes out and shout "LIBERATE TUTUME EX INFERNIS".

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
from IMdb board:
>>When will the SE be released?
--

Hi Guys,

The release for the DVD is looking towards December. (now pushed to 2006)Reason being, there's a deleted scene which is being cleared for inclusion. This may take a little time.

This afternoon, I'm working on tidying up a storyboards featurette. A section of script (in fact a scene never even filmed) will be shown, followed by the same sequence in storyboard form. We are blowing up each frame to fill the 16:9 screen, and they are looking very pretty indeed.

X--------------,
DVD Producer
The Lip Sync Group
--------
this was posted in June-which *could* mean an announcement any time now, hope fully very early 2006...

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I'm suprised arguement hasn't broken out yet. Some people really don't like the movie, but others love it. So your milage may vary.

Personally, I'm in the "love it" camp.

-paul

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

I couldn't agree more. This is easily IMO, Andersons best film, and the only film of his that I can honestly say I like (Resident Evil being not bad, but not great, everything else hard to watch.) He's deffinately a bit of a hack when it comes to directing, but this film showed some promise.

I found this to be a very good horror/suspense film, with good performances. I'd gladly plunk down the cash for an SE, and recommend it to any fan of the genre.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
There must be something weird going on cause I have no idea why they wouldn't do seamless branching. Just like Alien 3 did. Even if the elements are a bit rough it still was really not that bad on Alien 3. Great news about the release though.

Jesse Blough

Second Unit
I heard from somewhere that Anderson doesn't really want an extended cut. The theaterical version is fine for him. This might be the real reason...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks