Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Threshold ongoing thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
146 replies to this topic

#21 of 147 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,935 posts

Posted September 19 2005 - 02:19 AM

This seems like a show that might work better as a 12 part miniseries. Not sure how long they can keep up the storylines.

-Also, the short guy who plays the linguist. Played the same smartass type character in the movie Elf.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#22 of 147 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted September 19 2005 - 04:34 AM

If it does turn out like the 4400 idea that would be bad. 4400 hasn't been able to deal with this premise in an interesting way.

#23 of 147 OFFLINE   MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor

• 583 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted September 19 2005 - 04:46 AM

I don't think the red team and company were in position to tow anything of that size (the naval vessel) back to shore.

And yet, they searched the entire vessel (reporting that several crew were definitely not on board) in about five minutes.
40% Ben Katz + 30% Bobby Hill (Texas) + 20% Monica Geller + 10% William Dent. (Wardrobe by George Costanza)

#24 of 147 OFFLINE   BrianW

BrianW

Screenwriter

• 2,554 posts

Posted September 19 2005 - 12:01 PM

It was about what I expected, and I enjoyed it.

My biggest nit: I'm all for depicting new and innovative ways that we can be invaded by intelligent aliens, but the notion of using sound to alter our DNA is just too far out there. The depiction of the Christmas ornament made me think of a pan-dimensional object who's 3-dimensional "shadow" manifested in what we saw. That it could be a tool capable of altering molecular structures from within was something I found, refreshingly, entirely plausible, not to mention pretty cool. I was pleased when one of the characters confirmed my pan-dimensional suspicions. But when the video of the ornament began to affect the characters, I groaned. It's like shooting someone with a picture of a gun, I thought, or blinding someone with a video of a laser. Double Groan. When it was revealed that it was the sound alone that affected the changes, I very nearly turned it off.

That's one strike.

But I hung in there, and the rest was watchable. And I must admit, it's good to see Brent Spiner working on weekly TV again, though I too was shocked and dismayed to see Braga's name at the end. I'm surprised the show isn't called "Prime Directive".

I like the dog.
-Brian
Come, Rubidia. Let's blow this epoch.

#25 of 147 OFFLINE   Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz

Screenwriter

• 2,494 posts

Posted September 20 2005 - 12:44 AM

Very interesting premise. Well executed premiere in my opinion. I'm enjoying this season so far with so many genre shows once again on air. It was getting ridiculous with so many crime shows.

Let's see where they take us with this.
Andres

#26 of 147 OFFLINE   Mark Pytel

Mark Pytel

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted September 20 2005 - 03:25 PM

Like other people here, my VCR conked out on me so I missed the entire episode. I really wanna see it before I watch the 2nd ep. Did anyone tape this and/or have it on a dvr? If so...can anyone make me a copy so that I could see this ep?
Any help would be great. My E-mail is dvdmrp@comcast.net

#27 of 147 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted September 23 2005 - 02:22 AM

On the premise alone, I would have skipped this, but when an ensemble cast features four actors I like (Peter Dinklage, Charles S. Dutton, Carla Gugino and Brent Spiner), it's worth a look. While the premise didn't strike me as novel, the production values were a cut above the usual network fare, and the cast is good enough to "sell" the reality of the situation (which is an important and under-appreciated factor in effective horror/sci-fi, IMO). I'll stay with it for as long as it lasts, but I'm not optimistic, given the timeslot.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#28 of 147 OFFLINE   Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted September 23 2005 - 04:29 AM

I think towing would have worked. You quarantine the vessel, and call the Coast Guard up and tell them to 'protect it' until an ocean-going tug picks it up. they could have sent a few tow lines over the bow so that the tug crew wouldn't have to go on board. Then just quarantine the dock when it arrives.

They said it was a North Korean sub I believe and the Coast Guard doesn't do ASW prosecutions.

That said, the North Korean angle almost killed the show for me.

I thought the second hour was significantly better and I'll stick with it for now. I find the "mystery" interesting and like Gugino, Spiner, and the guy from Elf. I don't like the other Red Team member (forgot his name) and the alpha male is probably the most boring and uncharasmatic I've seen on a show in a long time. Zero sexual tension between him and Gugino.

I will be disappointed if it goes to a "special person of the week" format.

#29 of 147 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted September 23 2005 - 04:45 AM

Quote:
On the premise alone, I would have skipped this, but when an ensemble cast features four actors I like (Peter Dinklage, Charles S. Dutton, Carla Gugino and Brent Spiner), it's worth a look.

The cast is the only thing that got me to watch. Bragas name on it is a bad sign. I am hoping it gets better. Will give it one more chance.

#30 of 147 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted September 23 2005 - 04:58 AM

Quote:
the guy from Elf
If people are going to refer to Peter Dinklage by his other films, at least use the one where he played the lead (The Station Agent). Posted Image

He's a fine dramatic actor with genuine range (his Richard III last season at The Public was widely praised, and justly so). It reflects well on the creators of [i]Threshold[/] that they thought of using him, but I'll be disappointed if they waste his talents on wisecracks.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#31 of 147 OFFLINE   Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted September 23 2005 - 05:26 AM

The idea behind towing it was that we'd still possess it. Any abandon vessel is, as we all know, fair game for whoever gets there first.

Can you imagine a N. Korean sub firing on one of our ships? Sounds like West Wing fodder to me!

I only pointed that out because no one else did. I also noticed that the crew of the ship wasn't exactly in uniform. Some were, but some weren't too. The point being that if they keep on making mistakes they're going to lose an audience.

Glenn

#32 of 147 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted September 23 2005 - 05:38 AM

Quote:
If people are going to refer to Peter Dinklage by his other films, at least use the one where he played the lead (The Station Agent) Posted Image
Indeed. I just saw The Baxter (he's one of two good things in that movie) last night, too, and I have to say I really like the guy, and really like seeing him getting parts where his size is completely beside the point.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#33 of 147 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,935 posts

Posted September 23 2005 - 06:18 AM

duplicate
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#34 of 147 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,935 posts

Posted September 23 2005 - 06:20 AM

You can't tell me their aren't any Naval ships off the coast of Washington DC? And even then. Their are no ships at Norfolk Naval Base that could'nt be there within 6 hours???

Also, I think they made the sub Korean and not Russian to be politically correct. Remember, the Russians are our friends.

Sloppy writing.

#35 of 147 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,093 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted September 23 2005 - 07:12 AM

Quote:
You can't tell me their aren't any Naval ships off the coast of Washington DC? And even then. Their are no ships at Norfolk Naval Base that could'nt be there within 6 hours???
Maybe there was a bureaucratic SNAFU. Was FEMA involved? Posted Image
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#36 of 147 OFFLINE   Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted September 23 2005 - 01:27 PM

I only pointed that out because no one else did. I also noticed that the crew of the ship wasn't exactly in uniform. Some were, but some weren't too. The point being that if they keep on making mistakes they're going to lose an audience.

There is no doubt that the military side of this show was all screwed up but this issue I had less of a problem with. We do have auxilary ships in our navy that are made up of a combination of civilian and navy crewmen.

#37 of 147 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted September 23 2005 - 02:09 PM

Tonight's episode was a mixed bag, but sort of compelling enough to watch because there are crumbs that the writers give us as to who is and isn't affected by the signal to keep the "mystery" going for now.

Of course, I had the "Can't Stop the Signal" vibe going through my head due to Serenity, but I digress.

Kudoes on the writer who thought it would be a good idea to have Gugino in a showered environment for no real reason in terms of the story (was that really the only way to keep the cadets at bay)?

I did like the little "Karen Sisco" nod with giving Molly the cover of U. S. Marshall.

The red team members seem to have too little to do, and Molly gets a lot of air time. J.T. is so over-the-top, I feel bad for Dutton at times.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#38 of 147 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,657 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted September 23 2005 - 05:07 PM

Quote:
Kudoes on the writer who thought it would be a good idea to have Gugino in a showered environment for no real reason in terms of the story (was that really the only way to keep the cadets at bay)?
I have no idea why she set off the sprinklers. At first I thought she was using it as an interrogation technique - the aliens confess when wet! I think things will only get worse, as much as I like Gugino.
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#39 of 147 OFFLINE   David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted September 23 2005 - 08:58 PM

Quote:
(was that really the only way to keep the cadets at bay)
Quote:
I have no idea why she set off the sprinklers.

I thought she set off the sprinklers to initiate the fire alarm. More of a cry for help than keeping anyone at bay, imho. TPTB could have explained that move a lot better.

I ran out of room on my DVR last week and missed the pilot, so I'm new to the show. I wished Threshold was doing a bit better in the ratings so CBS would rerun the pilot episode. They couldn't block out some time on one of their sister cable stations, like Spike, for instance?

I was really intrigued at how freaky weird this show is... it may have to fight Bones for my pick of favorite new fall show.
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#40 of 147 OFFLINE   Rakesh.S

Rakesh.S

Second Unit

• 455 posts

Posted September 24 2005 - 02:15 PM

I just got around to watching last night's episode, and it was pretty average. I think I'll give it one more episode. It appears that every week is going to be a wild goose chase for another "infectee"

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow