What's new

TWELVE inch subwoofer by PartsExpress (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Kevin.

I did a search earlier (honestly!) but when you use the words "PartsExpress", "subwoofer" and "12"" you wouldn't believe the amount of non-related threads that come up!

Kevin G.

Second Unit
yeah, the only reason I knew was because it was so fresh in my mind.
Still a great find, all in all.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I think it would be cool if PE sold matching speakers to go along with their two budget subs, using the same design/pricing philosophy. Say, two-ways with one model equipped with a 4" midwoofer and a step-up model for large rooms equipped with a 6.5" woofer.

Because I have a feeling with the way the economy will (probably) be doing in the coming months, more and more people will be spending more time at home but at the same time, won't have as much money to divert to their HT system.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Those DIY BR-1 jobs would qualify. Actually they have more than a few speakers for sale. When you're broke, the first thing that goes is the need for a matching anything, like socks.

"I'm broke, but I gots matching Spekers for my Subwoffer!"

John S

Senior HTF Member
I can say two of these will take care of and be the most inexpensive solution possible very difficult rooms. :)

Really impressive for the money.

Alan M

Second Unit
"When you're broke, the first thing that goes is the need for a matching anything, like socks."

Colin,

ROFL,thanks you made my day.

:D

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I agree that two of these, stacked and eq'd should really pack some punch. So what if you have to give up a few db's under say, 25hz - Impact should be there in spades.

Funny - just when I think I'm out of money, another box is waiting on my front step.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

The only problem, and the only reason why I didn't buy a pair just to try out, is their extremely low sensitivity of 85dB, and the fact that they roll off at about 18kHz. Has anyone heard these guys?

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I used some Altecs and JBL's that rolled off about 16k, still seemed to sparkle a bit. But I don't know where my ears roll off. Scared to find out.

85db is a bit low too, yep. Better hit'em hard.

$140 x 2 plus shipping'd be what, $340? Maybe the dual sub route would outweigh the quality inherent in a single used Rava...?

David Blair

Stunt Coordinator
I just watched The Incredibles with this sub. It did a good job of getting me several "that's way too much" looks from my wife. ;)
How much break in does a sub typically need? Over the past month I've put several hours (6-8) into watching the LOTR series and it is beginning to sound better.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
The change will take place gradually over 100 hours or so. My SVS got a bit louder over the first month - Started out calibrated at -5, eventually had to rebuild the gain chain as the speaker broke in. (Calibrated every week or so and eventually got to -10 on the AVR. Brought it to -5 again and dropped the level on the amp.)

David Blair

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't calibrated my system yet, I'm sure it would make an incredible difference in the sound quality from my E30's.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Speakers are broken in within a few minutes of normal use. There's nothing to break in on the driver.

John S

Senior HTF Member
John G is correct. the only drivers that take any time to really break in are solid tweets, like solid titanium tweets...

John S

Senior HTF Member
:) You will get different opinions on this. Our stance would be the more scientific stance on it.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
If you don't mind doing a little assembly work some of the Dayton kits look to be real winners. I haven't heard any of them yet, but I have built a few speakers using their aluminum cone 5.25" and 7" woofers and a Vifa tweeter. I was quite impressed with them. PE is getting good at giving you a lot for your money. The new Dayton RS series drivers are just an absolute steal for the performance you get. Can't wait to get my big 3-way towers done! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks