• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 Les Fowler

Les Fowler

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted September 15 2005 - 04:08 AM

Various Retailers are now taking preorders for "Seven Swords" in Region 3. All seem to have the same 153 minute cut of the movie and a 60 minute second disc, but so far I have not seen any boasting DTS sound !
" EVEN A MAN WHO IS PURE IN HEART AND SAYS HIS PRAYERS BY NIGHT , MAY BECOME A WOLF WHEN THE WOLFBANE BLOOMS AND THE AUTUMN MOON IS BRIGHT"

#2 of 14 Ken Chui

Ken Chui

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted September 15 2005 - 07:15 AM

Is Tsui Hark still looking for a distributor for the proposed 4-hour Director's Cut of the film? The most recent article on its status (that I could find) was in early August, on an unofficial Donnie Yen fan website.

Until the DC is officially announced (and publishing handled by anyone except GD Face), I will have to settle for the Deltamac release (for now).

#3 of 14 Les Fowler

Les Fowler

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted September 15 2005 - 07:40 AM

I'd be very interested in a 4 hour DC as well, if it ever materializes. I often get "double dipped" on films I really like !
" EVEN A MAN WHO IS PURE IN HEART AND SAYS HIS PRAYERS BY NIGHT , MAY BECOME A WOLF WHEN THE WOLFBANE BLOOMS AND THE AUTUMN MOON IS BRIGHT"

#4 of 14 PatWahlquist

PatWahlquist

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted September 15 2005 - 02:09 PM

Hark's gone on record as saying the 4 hour version will not be released.
ISO "Lost" ARG prints from Kevin Tong, Olly Moss, Eric Tan and Methane Studios.  PM me if you want to sell!

All reviews done on a Marantz VP11S1 1080p DLP projector.

Displays professionally calibrated by Gregg Loewen of Lion AV.

#5 of 14 ThomasC

ThomasC

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,526 posts

Posted September 16 2005 - 05:14 AM

Damn! I didn't expect it to be released this quickly. Thanks for the heads up! YesAsia labeled the discs-only set as playable in all regions, but the packaging looks the same as the two other sets that they're selling, which are both Region 3.

Seven Swords (YesAsia Limited Edition)

Seven Swords DVD (Limited Edition) Plus Seven Swords Bookmark Set (Hong Kong Version)

Seven Swords DVD (Limited Edition) Plus Seven Swords Bookmark Set & Seven Swords 3 Swords Set(Hong Kong Version)

#6 of 14 Quentin

Quentin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted September 20 2005 - 06:10 AM

Yeah...but, is the film any good? Is it worth pre-ordering blind?

Could there be a DTS version coming soon?

#7 of 14 Ken Chui

Ken Chui

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted September 27 2005 - 06:51 AM

Quote:

This is a blind buy for me. You can check the reviews on sites such as KFCC and MonkeyPeaches.

#8 of 14 Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted September 28 2005 - 04:38 AM

My copy is already on the way. I've been looking forward to this one. Posted Image
Master Poe: Close your eyes. What do you hear?
Caine: I hear the water. I hear the birds.
Master Poe: Do you hear your own heart beat.
Caine: No.
Master Poe: Do you hear the grasshopper, which is at your feet.Caine: Old man, how is it that you hear these things?Master Poe: Young man, how is it...

#9 of 14 Les Fowler

Les Fowler

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted October 08 2005 - 12:08 PM

Mine should arrive any day. I'll give a report for those who are undesided.Posted Image

#10 of 14 andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,753 posts

Posted October 08 2005 - 11:45 PM

Quote:

Watched about the first half of it last night and fell asleep. It's beautifully shot (as usual) and the colour combinations in each scene are wonderful. However, maybe it's just me, but after about ten beautifully shot martial arts films, they are all beginning to merge into the same thing. This may just be me failing to grasp subtle cultural nuances, but there seems to be one plot, which will inevitably involve heroic sacrifice in the last reel. Sorry, but after a while this is plain boring (not to mention depressing). Maybe Seven Swords will turn out to be different, but somehow I doubt it.

ADDITION: Well, watched the rest of it. In fairness, the plot is a little better than usual, but there is still the usual heroic sacrifice stuff. There's plenty of action sequences, but to me, they were lacklustre.

Others may disagree with this - as I said, maybe it's just me that feels jaded.

#11 of 14 Les Fowler

Les Fowler

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted October 16 2005 - 05:02 PM

I have to agree somewhat Andrew, there was not too much new here. I did enjoy it and glad I have it in my collection but if a DTS or different version comes along I'll pass on upgrading. Parts were not too realistic.... heads being cut off and no blood, and my favourate character the female badass soldier with the shaved head got killed off too soon !
Les

#12 of 14 Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted October 17 2005 - 03:46 AM

I enjoyed the movie. It keep me thoroughly entertained. I wanted more though. I didn't get that feeling of satisfaction when it was over like the first time I watched Azumi.
Master Poe: Close your eyes. What do you hear?
Caine: I hear the water. I hear the birds.
Master Poe: Do you hear your own heart beat.
Caine: No.
Master Poe: Do you hear the grasshopper, which is at your feet.Caine: Old man, how is it that you hear these things?Master Poe: Young man, how is it...

#13 of 14 Tin-Lun Lau

Tin-Lun Lau

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted February 10 2006 - 06:24 PM

3 disc DTS edition is out.
The World Is Yours.

#14 of 14 Holadem

Holadem

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 8,972 posts

Posted March 07 2006 - 01:01 AM

I saw this movie in Paris over the holidays.

GAWD DID I HATE IT. The worse movie I saw last year. My friend who is a fan of this type of flick (Her favorite movie is Musa) talked me into seeing it.

I must be missing gobs of cultural context 'cause the movie made no fucking sense. If at least the fights were interesting, not even. Then there is that bizarre love story.

The only thing remotely good about this movie is the final duel between those walls. Some decent moves.

Much like horror flicks, I feel these things are held to much lower standards of filmmaking Posted Image.

Sorry, I had a really terrible time watching this thing, I had to say something. My friend hated it as well, and SHE is a huge fan of the genre!

--
H

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow