Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Robert Wise: 1914-2005

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#1 of 40 ONLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,513 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted September 14 2005 - 08:22 PM

One of the greats has passed. Robert Wise, Oscar-winning director & producer, died Wednesday of heart failure. It was apparently a sudden illness; reports are that he was in good health when he celebrated his 91st birthday Saturday.

He was proficient in just about every genre. Among the classics he directed:

The Day The Earth Stood Still
I Want To Live!
The Haunting
West Side Story
The Sound Of Music
The Sand Pebbles
The Andromeda Strain

Of course, early in his career he was Orson Welles' editor, and received an Oscar nomination in that capacity for Welles' masterpiece Citizen Kane.

Rest in peace, Mr. Wise.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#2 of 40 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted September 14 2005 - 09:01 PM

OMG, I was just watching his easter egg on the Citizen Kane DVD....damn.

RIP, there will be none like you again.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#3 of 40 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted September 14 2005 - 09:49 PM

Another very good film Robert Wise directed was THE BODY SNATCHER (1945) with Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi (coming soon on the Val Lewton Collection).

#4 of 40 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,558 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted September 14 2005 - 10:48 PM

He also directed Star Trek: The Motion Picture, where he can be heard on the commentary track.

R.I.P
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#5 of 40 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,438 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted September 14 2005 - 10:52 PM

[rant]Klaatu Barada Nikto![/rant]

Sad news indeed, definitely one of the greats, from editing Citizen Kane to directing two of the greatest musicals of all time, SF classics like Day The Earth Stood Still and The Andromeda Strain, horror classics like The Haunting and The Body Snatcher. Wise also directed the first Star Trek movie, certainly versatile.
91 years? We should be so lucky.

RIP

Oscar Winning Director Robert Wise Dies

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#6 of 40 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted September 14 2005 - 11:12 PM

When I was a kid, I watched The Sound of Music countless times, and I still watch it today. Rest in peace, Robert. Thank you for your wonderful work.

#7 of 40 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,456 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted September 14 2005 - 11:32 PM

One of my favorites.. R.I.P., and thanks you for much celluloid bliss over the years, Mr. Wise!

#8 of 40 OFFLINE   Bill Huelbig

Bill Huelbig

Second Unit

• 440 posts
  • LocationWeehawken, NJ

Posted September 14 2005 - 11:33 PM

Robert Wise was without a doubt one of the greatest directors who ever lived. A few others may have worked in as many genres as he did, but his films were often among the very best ever made in each genre, if not THE best. Now that he has died, I'll have to come up with a new favorite living filmmaker. It won't be easy ...

#9 of 40 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,628 posts

Posted September 14 2005 - 11:46 PM

Quote:
Robert Wise was without a doubt one of the greatest directors who ever lived. A few others may have worked in as many genres as he did, but his films were often among the very best ever made in each genre, if not THE best. Now that he has died, I'll have to come up with a new favorite living filmmaker. It won't be easy ...

Perfectly stated, Bill.

He was a genuine Hollywood craftsman - and still underrated - who managed to make his mark with a Top-5 contender in each genre he tackled:

Horror: The Haunting
War: The Sand Pebbles, Run Silent Run Deep
Science Fiction: The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Andromeda Strain
Musical: West Side Story, The Sound of Music
Drama: The Set-Up, I Want to Live
Fantasy: The Curse of the Cat People

His like will not be seen again, RIP Mr. Wise.
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#10 of 40 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,525 posts

Posted September 14 2005 - 11:53 PM

One of my all time favorite movies is The Day The Earth Stood Still. Thanks so much for all the great films.

Chris S.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#11 of 40 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,024 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 14 2005 - 11:55 PM

He was one of my favorites too, thankfully he was with us long enough to contribute his thoughts on many of his films for dvd release for future generations of film fans. May he R.I.P.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#12 of 40 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted September 15 2005 - 12:27 AM

Another great director has left us.Posted Image

R.I.P.

#13 of 40 OFFLINE   Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted September 15 2005 - 01:40 AM

Wise was definitely one of those few directors who was very blessed to have a second opportunity to return to an earlier work, revisit it, and finish it the way he'd originally intended. It's great that he got the chance to sign off on the Director's Edition of Star Trek: TMP. When I move into the new house, I plan to put it and my copy of Citizen Kane in the player for a spin.

Rest in peace, Mr. Wise. Posted Image
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#14 of 40 OFFLINE   Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts

Posted September 15 2005 - 01:45 AM

The first RW film I ever saw was The Hindenberg, and although it has had a rough ride critically, it was a memorable film for a young moviegoer, and an introduction to a grander body of work.

God bless, Mr. Wise, and thank you.
I don't like SPAM!

#15 of 40 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,306 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted September 15 2005 - 01:50 AM

I had the opportunity to meet Mr. Wise at a 2003 AMPAS screening of The Sound of Music. Very nice man; he will indeed be missed.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#16 of 40 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,533 posts

Posted September 15 2005 - 02:01 AM

RIP Mr. Wise. You contributed greatly to cinema.

#17 of 40 OFFLINE   Brendon

Brendon

Second Unit

• 259 posts

Posted September 15 2005 - 02:19 AM

Andromeda Strain, Day the Earth Stood Still and ST:TMP: Mr. Wise made a huge contribution to intelligent science fiction cinema. With West Side Story et al as well...well!

He leaves behind a staggering contribution to good cinema.

RIP Mr. Wise, your films will not be forgotten.

Brendon

#18 of 40 OFFLINE   Armin Jager

Armin Jager

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted September 15 2005 - 02:22 AM

In fact I never understood why Robert Wise isn't held in the highest esteem on the level of Hawks, Hitchcock or Lubitsch and I guess it's the old auteur bias. He had a long career which again and again produced memorable pictures and there's no one who used the wide screen in such a striking way. I'm just buying all his available films on DVD and am very sorry sorry to hear this news. I like especially THE SAND PEBBLES which is a very thoughtful and visually brillant film contrary to most epics which descend into silly melodramatics and cliches with onedimensional characters.

#19 of 40 OFFLINE   Kain_C

Kain_C

Screenwriter

• 1,036 posts

Posted September 15 2005 - 03:22 AM

I haven't seen many of his films but alot of them were already on my Netflix queue. He certainly seemed to make a huge impact in his field and alot of his films are highly respected. His passing just emphasizes my need to be more acquainted with his work.

#20 of 40 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted September 15 2005 - 04:35 AM

Rest in peace, you giant.

One of the criticisms hurled at Mr. Wise was that he did not seem to be much of a stylistic auteur. But what he was, in his own words, was a cinematic perfectionist, giving each of his films their proper look and voice.

And look at the results!

There is room in this world for all sorts of filmmakers, and Robert Wise's brilliant output is among our great treasures.