Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Ethynol...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,855 posts

Posted September 14 2005 - 02:00 PM

I just caught the end of Modern Marvels. The show was about sugar. But, it showed how in Brazil. Ethynol is used as the major source of gas for cars. They were able to cut their oil imports from 80% to around 10-15%. I do know we do use it here occasionally. How come it isn't used more?? They did mention that it has a higher combustion rate. Which is why they need a small regular gas tank to use when its cold.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#2 of 11 andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted September 14 2005 - 07:51 PM

You guys got cars that run on vegetable oil yet? They are very slowly becoming established in the UK.

#3 of 11 Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted September 14 2005 - 11:11 PM

There's only so much veggie oil to scrounge isn't there?

#4 of 11 ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted September 15 2005 - 12:15 AM

Quote:
You guys got cars that run on vegetable oil yet?
I drove behind a "Veggie Machine" this past summer, which powered itself on waste vegetable oil. The car itself was a shit-brown Mercedes. It sure smelled like it. I'll go for it when odorless vegetable oil is on the market.

#5 of 11 Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted September 15 2005 - 12:41 AM

When I lived in Cote d'Ivoire 10 years ago, my uncle had his beater modded to run on some kind of gas. Lots of people were doing the same, it was supposedly more affordable than gazoline. In any case, the car stunk of butane (I don't know what the actual gas was) and I used to freak out thinking one day the whole thing would just conflagrate (with me inside of course).

--
H

#6 of 11 Jacinto

Jacinto

Second Unit

• 409 posts
  • LocationLittleton, Colorado

Posted September 15 2005 - 04:09 AM

My '03 Yukon has a flex-fuel engine that allows for unleaded or E-85 Ethanol. There are only six or seven gas stations in the Denver metro area that have E-85 available, and fortunately, one is about ten minutes from where I live. I avoided it originally due to the reputation of a drastic drop in fuel efficiency and power, but from my calculations, I only suffer a drop in fuel performance of less than 10% when running on Ethanol. I used to fill up with it now and again, but I have been using it exclusively for the past month since E-85 is only $2.49 a gallon.
Chachi Hernandez
Illustrator

#7 of 11 BrianW

BrianW

Screenwriter

• 2,552 posts

Posted September 15 2005 - 10:04 AM

According to Popular Science:
A new federal law requires refiners to double the use of ethanol in gasoline by 2012. But scientists say the fuel burns more energy than it makes.

According to the article, ethanol requires 30% more energy to produce than it creates when we burn it.
-Brian
Come, Rubidia. Let's blow this epoch.

#8 of 11 Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard

Screenwriter

• 2,314 posts

Posted September 15 2005 - 02:19 PM

Quote:
According to the article, ethanol requires 30% more energy to produce than it creates when we burn it.
That doesn't take into account the "what the heck are we going to do with all this corn" factor.Posted Image
I love to singa, about the moon-a, and the june-a, and the springa...
-Owl Jolson

#9 of 11 BrianW

BrianW

Screenwriter

• 2,552 posts

Posted September 15 2005 - 04:21 PM

Todd, I hadn't thought of that. That's actually a very good point.
-Brian
Come, Rubidia. Let's blow this epoch.

#10 of 11 Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

• 1,055 posts

Posted September 15 2005 - 05:29 PM

Actually, given the large amount of sugar beets grown in the USA, they could easily use that as a primary source for ethanol for a 70% gasoline/30% ethanol mix. Posted Image
Raymond in Sacramento, CA USA

#11 of 11 Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor

• 630 posts

Posted September 16 2005 - 03:53 AM

http://www.ens-newsw....5-07-01-02.asp

sugar is cane much more efficient for making ethanol, that is why brazil has done it already.
Now they show you how detergents take out bloodstains, a pretty violent image there. I think if you've got a T-shirt with a bloodstain all over it, maybe laundry isn't your biggest problem. Maybe you should get rid of the body before you do the wash.

Forum Nav Content I Follow