What's new

Supernatural ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
Cool show - a lot like the x-files and miracles(if anyone remembers that great show).

I'll be tuning in for future installments.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I also enjoyed it. Also reminds me of the short-lived but fun show "Freakylinks". One question....spoilers just in case someone didn't see it yet..

At the end. The brother drives off. Then when the other brother sees his gf on the ceiling burst into flames his brother rushes in. What made him come back??

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
I was wondering that too...I don't think he drove off, but he either heard his brother scream(unlikely) or saw the fire of he's in on it, for whatever reason.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
When I saw this pilot earlier, it just didn't grab me all that much, so it's on the "well, I've watched everything else, so I guess I'll watch this" list for now.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I thought it was decent but the quips and smartass dialogue from Jason Eckles got on my nerves. It was as if they were writing him to be a bit too wise-ass. That will get old real quick.
I'll watch a few more times to see if it gets better but it sure aint no X-files.

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
I liked it, it was pretty creepy, somethings I was like "they can put that on tv?" but overall it got me hooked, let's hope it lasts awhile without going the Dawson's Creek router like nearly every other WB show has.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

I've read similar items in a couple places. What does everyone think was so over-the-top? I didn't see anything that I found to be that intense.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I was little disappointed. I think part of the problem is that the show's target demographic is probably a decade or two younger that I am (41). To me it felt like it could have been called "Dawnson's Creep."

The characters seemed a bit on the cliche side. Also, the "make the ghost scary by making it do the fast stutter step move" is getting to be a rather tired effect.

But the biggest issue I have is the format of show. If the idea is to off one ghost/supernatural thing per episode while working on the "ongoing" plots (where is Dad and find/kill the fem flamer) it just won't work for me. I think it doesn't allow enough time to make each individual ghost story interesting/suspenseful. Of course having animated Smallville advertisements, station bugs and bits of information such as "season premier" overlayed on top of the show didn't help in that regard either.

I don't want to give a completely negative impression. I thought the show was good enough that I will definitely watch another episode or two and see how things progress. You can't really judge a show by a single episode.

-Keith

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Seems like it did OK in the ratings (relative to the WB network anyway). "Gilmore Girls" had one of its biggest audiences ever (over 6 million) and "Supernatural" retained 90% of that audience.

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
It wasn't so much that anything was "over the top" but I forgot with television what we can and can't do these days. Seeing the flames come right out and engulf the girls was a shock along with the blood of one of the guys (not the main guys, one of the vics) being splattered all over the car, granted we didn't see what was going on inside but that was a lot of blood.
HBO is far worse on the swearing and nudity and violence, but it seems that network television is catching up somehow. But for a show like this, I think it needs the violence and swearing.
I do think the show was made for people my age (22) or younger, but younger than maybe 14 or so, might be pushing it. I didn't notice the "rating" (not that people care about that stuff on TV these days) but I assume it was probably TV14 anyway.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Finally watched the whole thing. I'll keep it on my DVR schedule for now, but I wouldn't be disappointed if it was cancelled the way I was with something like MIRACLES.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
U.S. Marshalls... Yeah, right. I got bored pretty quick and gave up about half way thru the episode.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I really liked it. I liked the banter between the two leads and the plot was scary enough to hold my interest.

The ghost sort of reminded me of a supposed real life case that was talked about on Unsolved Mysteries called 'Resurrection Mary' about a woman in white (supoosedly a ghost by eye witnesses) who hitches rides with people and "get's out", that is, disappears, into the cemetary where she's buried.

The bit's with the women on the ceiling and then bursting into flames
was wild stuff.

Also, I was glad to see the incredibly gorgeous Adrianna Palicki again, she played 'Kara from Krypton' on the final episode of Smallville season 3 called 'Covenant' and I was waiting for her to turn up again, she really set that Smurf T-shirt off very well. :b

Yeah, I think i'm going to stick around a while with this one and see where it goes, off to a good start IMO. :emoji_thumbsup:

Rakesh.S

Second Unit

She was also on an episode of CSI, where they actually called her Kara and made a reference to Kryptonite...It was a nice inside joke that the CSI folks made, recognizing her work on Smallville :-p

Miracles was an awesome show, probably the best in the last five years. Supernatural isn't close in terms of scariness and production quality, but it's probably the closest thing we've got.

WB treats its shows much better than Fox, so expect this one to last at least a season.

Also the quest to find dad kind of brings back memories of another show, Veritas The Quest, which was very good(unaired episodes). That show dealt with a quest for the lead character's mom.

derek

Second Unit
I really liked Veritas was quite bummed when it got cancelled so quick. The show had ALOT of potential and the cast really was good.

Re Supernatural I felt the violence was intense for network programming. The show awkwardly trys to find a balance between the humor vs. gravity/horror. Maybe it will get its legs. I'm also thinking Supernatural will end up being more like the old Kolchak: The Night Stalker than the newly revisioned series (based on the previews I've seen so far.)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Miracles was great. And I saw the unaired episodes of Veritas. That show was definitely building to something cool. :frowning: ABC sucks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks