Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

NAKED CITY: Box Set #2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted September 13 2005 - 12:06 PM

DVD PLANET and AMAZON announced the release of the second boxset of "The Naked City" on November 22. Does anyone know the contents yet?
Charles Hoyt

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted September 13 2005 - 02:08 PM

Yes. Posted Image
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   CherylWI

CherylWI

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted September 13 2005 - 04:22 PM

I'm looking forward to many wonderful evenings enjoying this box set. At the rate they're going they'll have the entire series released in no time. I hope to own the entire set because the series is that good.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted September 14 2005 - 12:20 AM

Though I haven't purchased any of the single "Naked City" releases, I did buy the first box set and will pick up the second when it's released. This was one of those shows that was broadcast when I was very young and would not have understood it even if I was allowed to watch it by my parents (it was on past my bedtime). But, looking back on it now, it's really a superior drama . . . well written stories and great acting, and terrific location filming in New York City.

Although not of the caliber of "Naked City," two other police shows filmed in New York City in the Fifties have surfaced on public domain DVDs: "Decoy" and "Man Against Crime a/k/a Follow That Man." "Decoy" stars Beverly Garland as a NYC undercover policewoman and predates Angie Dickinson's "Policewoman" series by over 15 years. "Man Against Crime" stars Ralph Bellamy as private detective Mike Barnett. Both series were filmed in and around New York City at a time when there was a greater number of television shows being produced on the East Coast. While the prints that I've seen from both Alpha Video and Critics Choice Video are nowhere near as good as the prints used by Image for the "Naked City" releases, they are watchable. "Decoy," in particular, seems worthy of a wider audience and one wishes that were was an authorized release of this series.

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   JeffWld

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator

• 235 posts

Posted September 14 2005 - 06:29 AM

Quote:
I'm looking forward to many wonderful evenings enjoying this box set. At the rate they're going they'll have the entire series released in no time. I hope to own the entire set because the series is that good.

I understand that Image did not initially acquire the rights to all of the one-hour episodes. However based on sales, they might renegotiate in the future for the additional episodes.

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   CherylWI

CherylWI

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted September 14 2005 - 02:55 PM

I hope so. I'm looking forward to purchasing all. Does anybody know if the half hour format is as good as the hour long version?

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Tom.W

Tom.W

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted September 14 2005 - 04:43 PM

The half hour version is as good as the hour version, but very different in some ways. Due to the shorter time format, there is necessarily less emphasis on character and background. There is more violence and a more gritty feeling to the half hour version. The focus is generally limited to one plot element, but is treated with the same realism as with the hour version.

Also there was a major cast change when the format switched to an hour. James Franciscus and John McIntire more or less mirrored their replacments, Paul Burke and Horace MacMahon, in the half hour version. I believe Harry Bellaver starred in both versions.

I hope sales of the one hour version improve chances for a release of the half hour version. I would consider it a long shot, though. Till now, the rights to either version have been independently acquired, with the half hour version showing up much less frequently.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,066 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted September 14 2005 - 08:16 PM

I picked up the first box set of this, and I was blown away. I'd never seen the show before, and I was stunned at its quality. My favorite episode is the one with Roddy McDowall as an unhinged actor, which is one of the greatest casting jobs ever. Absolutely fantastic stuff.

Does this new box set contain any episodes previously released by Image in their single-disc releases?

It's a pity that complete season sets aren't being made available, but I can't complain too much, especially since Image is throwing in all the original bumpers, sponsor promos, and commercials! I only wish there was an option to watch the episode with all the commercials inserted in their proper original broadcast positions, just for the sake of nostalgia overdose...

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   CherylWI

CherylWI

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted September 15 2005 - 01:55 PM

None of the episodes have been duplicated from the single-disc releases. These are all new episodes. The single disc ones have pretty good stories as well. Walter Matthau, Robert DuVal and Jon Voight were some of the guest stars.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted September 15 2005 - 11:42 PM

I've asked about the original season in an earlier topic, and the half-hour Naked City shows are the only ones from the 1950s. ABC cancelled the show after the initial 39 and after a one year break it came back for 3 more years with Paul Burke replacing James Franciscus for the last 99 episodes.Harry Bellaver was Detective Frank Arcaro from the series' start. Horace McMahon was indeed Lt. Mike Parker in both versions of the show, after John McIntire's Lt. Dan Muldoon's character was killed when his squad car hit the back of a gasoline truck in a high speed chase in an episode that aired in April 1959. It's one of many of the first season stories I've never seen.

But of the few early shows I did see, the only things I remember from those 1980s VHS viewings include a scene of Franciscus taking a shower and his wife talking to him. The other had the cops at the WABC New York studio to appear on a talk show to discuss police methods!

There's no reason why Image can't purchase the rights to duplicate and distribute the first season. They can certainly afford to.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Michael Alden

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted September 25 2005 - 09:50 AM

Well, the reason might be that Sony doesn't want them to have it. Whether or not Image wants to do it is irrelevant if Sony doesn't want to license it out. Especially if the show is doing well, they might not want to see another company have it. The original aggreement was for about 52 or 56 shows.