Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

HTF REVIEW: Cheers - The Complete Sixth Season

DVD Reviews TV Reviews

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted September 13 2005 - 01:50 AM

Posted Image
Cheers - The Complete Sixth Season

Studio: Paramount

Year: 1987 - 1988

Rated: NR

Length: 10 hours 14 minutes

Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1

Audio: Dolby Digital English Surround

Closed Captioned

Special Features: None

Suggested Retail Price: $39.99 USD
Release Date: September 13, 2005

The sixth season of Cheers is home to many changes for the venerable sitcom. Diane Chambers exited at the end of season five, and this season opens with the news that Sam has sold the bar and left to sail around the world.

Of course, something has to bring Sam back to Boston, but can he buy back the bar? Can he even get a job as a second string bartender? That’s up to the new management - personified on location by the uptight Rebecca Howe (Kirstie Alley), who answers to the new corporate controllers of the watering hole.

Of course, Carla is back - and she’s pregnant again. Norm and Cliff are destined to remain the resident barflies. Dimwitted Woody is behind the bar. And pompous Frasier and his lover Lilith are around, too.

Many were afraid that the loss of Shelly Long would spell certain doom for Cheers, but the addition of a very different character in Ms. Howe was a good direction for the show. The writers had done pretty much all they could with the Sam and Diane relationship - and they would have new ground to cover with Rebecca.

Season six is a solid one for Cheers.

Episodes:
Disc One: Home Is the Sailor; “I” On Sports; Little Carla, Happy At Last, Parts 1 and 2; The Crane Mutiny; Paint Your Office

Disc Two: Last Angry Mailman; Bidding On The Boys; Pudd’nhead Boyd; A Kiss Is Still A Kiss; My Fair Clavin; Christmas Cheers; Woody For Hire Meets Norman Of The Apes

Disc Three: And God Created Woodman; Tale of Two Cuties; Yacht Of Fools; To All The Girls I’ve Loved Before; Let Sleeping Drakes Lie; Airport V

Disc Four: The Sam In The Gray Flannel Suit; Our Hourly Bread; Slumber Party Massacred; The Bar Wars; The Big Kiss-Off; Back Seat Becky, Up Front

The Transfers

Based on a random sampling of four episodes, this set is essentially the same in quality as season five.

The episodes suffer from a slight softness, but overall they have acceptable detail - especially considering the age of the source. There are no major artifacts of note. Whites are never truly pure, but black levels are solid. Colors are a bit muted in saturation, but have mostly accurate values.

The sound is adequately presented in Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo. It is pretty much everything you would expect of an 80’s vintage sitcom. The sound has good frequency response and dialog is always clear and intelligible. The track is free of noticeable hiss. This is also on par with previous seasons.

There is a notation on the back of the package indicating that some music has been changed for this release. I have no further information on that.

Special Features
There are no special features.

Final Thoughts
Another basic, barebones set from Paramount. A must have for Cheers fans. The transfers aren’t bad, but are less than perfect.

#2 of 4 Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted September 13 2005 - 06:06 AM

Cheers must be selling less well than Frasier. I just saw and bought Frasier season 6 from my local retailer but they don’t import Cheers automatically anymore. I have to order it.

#3 of 4 Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted September 13 2005 - 06:38 AM

Well. it is an older show... perhaps less known internationally than a recent hit?

Looking at the hits on the two review threads, more people here seem to be reading about Cheers.

I like them both, but give Frasier the edge for a more sophisticated brand of humor. I laugh out loud at that show more than almost any other I can think of.

-Scott

#4 of 4 David Rain

David Rain

Screenwriter

• 1,086 posts

Posted September 13 2005 - 09:34 AM

I also have a lot of trouble finding Cheers at local DVD retailers. I suppose a series like this appeals to a more mature audience and most stores will stock mainly youth-oriented releases. Thank heaven for Amazon.
Still Turning the Beat Around at Our Cool New Pad

Retro Remixes