What's new

Bones ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Fox is getting a headstart on their fall season once more with the premiere of "Bones" (since they'll pre-empt many of the shows during Baseball post-season). I'll give it a show, David Boreanaz gets to show us if there is life after Angel (now playing a FBI special agent) as he is teamed up with Emily Deschanel playing an forensic investigator/scientist with a history of using bones to uncover the truth. It will precede House, M.D. tonight.

(Amended show time order - not after House, but before House)

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
My mom's read a lot of the books by the forensic anthropologist the show is based on, and she's interested to see how it plays. I studied forensic anthropology in my own time for a little bit, so I wonder how they're going to do the science as well as the characterizations. I'll be catching it tonight.

On an unrelated note, I'm loving how the Whedon (and Apatow) regulars are popping up all over the place this season, mostly on shows with good critical buzz.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I couldn't help seeing "Intense Angel" in some of Boreanaz's performance, but I guess that can't be helped.

There were some rather contrived moments - most notably the exchange in the shooting range. They were standing so close it was ludicrous and then his whipping around and firing his pistol was pretty cheesy.

The ending was tied up a bit quickly and neatly too and I didn't feel like I could take the science elements that seriously.

The jury is still out on this one, but I'll probably keep my eye on it for a little while. I kind of have the same vibe from it as I did Tru Calling.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yeah, if CSI is giving folks a hard time in the courtroom, then I'm sure it's going to ruin any shows with forensics involved.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I didn't care for it. :thumbsdown:

The character of Bones came off too cold in my opinion, that woman needs to seriously loosen up. Also, her repeated use of "I don't know what that means." started to irk me.

Lastly, the scene where she stays up all night piecing that skull back together just struck me as silly, I know that they can piece skulls back together, but did you see how many pieces there were? Impossible.

I'll give it another ep or two then i'm bailing if it doesn't improve.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Exactly, and that's a good song by Howie Day that was taken completely out of context...

{{music}}You somehow find, you and I...collide{{music}}

Okay, so Bones is "colliding" with a human skull...creepy.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I dont think I had ever seen David with stubble before. When you keep thinking about things like that, that is not a good thing. I kept expecting him to burst into flames too. :)
It was ok. I expected more from the reviews. It was a bit of CSI with a bit of Cold Case thrown in. If they had Julie Benz as his costar I might have tuned in next week.

WallyB

Agent
I gave it a shot, but it's now off the Season Pass list on my TiVo.

They were trying way too hard to be cute with the dialogue.

I'm out.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I like the idea of it, that she's young and witty but doesn't speak in non-stop pop culture references. Hopefully, they'll tone this recurring joke down, because it seemed odd for me that a bestselling novelist and anthropologist would be as ignorant about twenty-first century American culture as she appears to be at times.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Her name is Temperance? What cruel parents.

Liked a few shots of her holding the baseball bat.

Otherwise, meh....

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I see potential. It suffered from Pilot-itis what with all of the excessive exposition and laying out of backstory, but I think the two leads work well together. Maybe my standards have been horribly lowered by forcing myself to sit through the Reunion pilot last week, but I'm not giving up yet. :)

I got a kick out of the excessive tech. Translucent holograms are probably a lot harder to look at and discern detail than 3d renderings on a CRT, and probably cost a few orders of magnitude more to boot. ...and that's setting aside the plausibility of the technology to turn skulls into very specific faces in the first place.

Regards,

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
It isn't too bad...

But do we really need another "forensics" crime drama on TV?

Seriously...people are bound to get burned out on the concept (hopefully soon)

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
If you are a fan of of Kathy Reich's books about Temperance Brennan, as I am, don't waste your time with "Bones". The books are smart, intelligent and great mysteries. Each is the kind you'll start reading and the next thing you know it's 4am. The series is a dumb-downed version aimed for those who like to watch tv without having to think. Too bad Ms.Reich didn't sell the rights to PBS or A&E where the series could have been faithful to the books. I'll be surprised if it lasts past January.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks