-

Photo
- - - - -

Veneer questions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   al lout

al lout

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted September 12 2005 - 02:45 PM

Sup all, I'm in a process of putting together my main speaker cabinets. The question is if I round up the edges of the two sides, how hard is it to wrap the veneer over the rounded corner? I would like to round off the edges but I'm afraid it might be difficult to wrap the veneer around it. This will be the first time that I'll attempt to veneer my cabinet. I have no experience what so ever. I'm thinking of getting some rosewood veneer. Can someone direct me to where can I get it for cheap. I'm probably going to need 4' x 8' sheet. I would like to shop at the local area, but if online is much cheaper I will order it online. Anyone knows where in the Los Angeles/Alhambra area that I can go take a look? Thanks all.

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor

• 792 posts

Posted September 12 2005 - 06:12 PM

Quote:
if I round up the edges of the two sides, how hard is it to wrap the veneer over the rounded corner?

Depends on the veneer and the radius of the curve. Backed veneer where the wood layer is a very thin film takes curves well. Thick raw veneer is tougher. Raw burles are impossible. 3/4 inch radius curves are much easier than 1/2 inch.

Quote:
I'm thinking of getting some rosewood veneer. Can someone direct me to where can I get it for cheap. I'm probably going to need 4' x 8' sheet.

I don't think you are going to find nice rosewood in 4x8 sheets. In fact, the 4x8 sheets are mostly ordinary stuff- maple, cherry oak etc. The best place to purchase interesting veneer by far is Ebay in my experience.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   JustinSC

JustinSC

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted September 13 2005 - 02:17 AM

I'm looking to get a roundover bit from MLCS which one should I get? I'm looking at a 1/2" shank size but what radius, large dia., and carbide height?

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   al lout

al lout

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted September 13 2005 - 01:21 PM

Brian, thank you for the info.

I'm hasitate to round off the edges cuz' I'm afraid that the backed paper veneer can't take it. For the first time veneerer, do you recommend to round off the edges? Also, the flush tweeter driver hole is worrying me as well. I don't know how to cut the veneer offPosted Image I need to do more research I guess. Thanks.

Al,

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor

• 792 posts

Posted September 14 2005 - 01:04 AM

Quote:
I'm looking at a 1/2" shank size but what radius, large dia., and carbide height?

The only real variable there is the radius. If your router has a fixed speed, then don't get anything larger than 3/4. To use 1 inch or above safely, the router must be able to slow down.

Other than that, the choice depends on whether you want a sharp or gradual curve. If planning to veneer around your corners, it gets really tough at less than 5/8. To picture what a given radius will look like, go to the moulding section of Lowes or HD and look for quarter round strips. A one inch radius (2 inch diameter) quarter round will have the same curve that a 1 inch radius roundover bit makes (as would a 2 inch dowell)

Quote:
I'm hasitate to round off the edges cuz' I'm afraid that the backed paper veneer can't take it. For the first time veneerer, do you recommend to round off the edges?

Take 2 slabs of scrap MDF, make a but joint, round it over and give it a try. This wastes some veneer, but worth it to get the practice.

Quote:
Also, the flush tweeter driver hole is worrying me as well. I don't know how to cut the veneer off

The best way is to veneer before cutting the recess, but it is too late for that. If your through hole and recess have already been done, and you have a rebate bit, then veneer over the hole, rough cut the veneer with a sharp knife, then run the rebate bit set shallow to trim the veneer. If this is not possible, your in for a long tough session with a razor blade.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Darren_T

Darren_T

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted September 14 2005 - 03:59 AM

Paper backed veneer handles rounded edges easily. Of course it depends on the wood chosen as to how easily. I've taken oak, mahogany, and walnut around 1/2" rounded edges but prefer the look of 3/4".

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Marc LaPalme

Marc LaPalme

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted September 15 2005 - 11:40 AM

i veneer 1 cm corners everyday.

i soak the corner in warm water for about 30 seconds and it wraps easy.

5mm.. no problem, 3 maybe if your carefull. just use good glue and be carefull. dont touch the wet part of the wood and let it dry before pressing in good.

like the other guys said. do a practise run before trying it out on the cabinets. you'll be thankful after doing the full wrap.

btw. i'm using 1 mm veneer, paper backed. soft woods will bend easier. (maple) harder woods(oak) let soak a bit longer.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   JustinSC

JustinSC

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted September 19 2005 - 02:32 AM

Does this work:

3/4" radius
2" Large Dia.
1" Carbide height

I do have a variable router

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman

Producer

• 3,817 posts

Posted September 19 2005 - 05:18 AM

It sounds like you've got the box completed already.. but, personally, I'd construct the enclosure in such a way to allow for quater-round stock to be attached around the edge of the baffle rather than rounding the edges after the fact. It's getting covered by veneer anyway, so cheap pine could be used.

Large radii roundover bits are expensive IMHO.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge

Producer

• 3,719 posts

Posted September 19 2005 - 07:10 AM

Justin,

That'll work just fine. A buddy of mine has veneered quite a few speaker cabinets in 10-mil paperbacked rosewood veneer without any trouble at all on rounded corners.
Brian Bunge
RAD Home Theater

Back to Members' Theaters, HT Projects, Remotes, Seating, Accessories & Lighting

Forum Nav Content I Follow