Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Phillips 34PW862H vs Sony KV34HS420

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Andrew Beckmen

Andrew Beckmen

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted September 12 2005 - 01:13 PM

My local HT store has only these two models when it comes to 34" 16X9 CRT HDTVs. I am pretty sure I am going to get one. It will be used for mainly DVDs, analogue cable, occasional video gaming and maybe in the future HD. The price is the same. Which is better?
My DVD Collection--DVDAficionado
My Home Theatre
My Star Wars Collection

"Psychos do not EXPLODE when sunlight hits them, Carlos. I don't a give a f--- HOW crazy they are!"

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.

• 6,362 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted September 12 2005 - 03:49 PM

Hands down, the Sony. More user level adjustments, more service mode adjustments. Ability to correct color decoder, tighten up geometry, calibrate per scan rate and input, etc etc etc. Happy viewing!! Gregg

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   John S

John S

Producer

• 5,460 posts

Posted September 13 2005 - 03:46 AM

yep, only the Philips if price is a major concern, and it is like 1/2 of the Sony. That Sony is still considered a reference display, I mean you can't do much better than that period.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Andrew Beckmen

Andrew Beckmen

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted September 13 2005 - 09:41 AM

OK, I'll probasbly be getting it within 2 weeks... Thanks.
My Home Theatre
My Star Wars Collection

"Psychos do not EXPLODE when sunlight hits them, Carlos. I don't a give a f--- HOW crazy they are!"

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Andrew Beckmen

Andrew Beckmen

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted December 23 2005 - 06:38 PM

A little update/rant on my TV... Why can't these companies make newer TVs more like monitors, where you can adjust the screen size yourself? I have noticed what I would consider too much cropping on my Sony KV34HS420, though Avia only reads the overscan at around 5%. Still, when you use a DVD player that can zoom at 1/2 or whatever, you see more than a little bit of the image is in that 5% area. Is it too much to ask to see the whole picture when I pay 1500 bucks for my display? I am also angry that my set wasn't calibrated properly, and I didn't want to go through the hassle of having a service center rob me of my brand-new tv for a week or more. So I have adjusted to blurry edges and bendy geography. Again, for 1500 bucks I think I deserve better! Then I get this news that the model I bought has a tendacy to die quickly, so every time I turn on my TV I think "Is this it?". I am using a Panasonic S-77 Upscaling player with HDMI for watching DVDs. It's pretty good, but what I think is called macroblocking can be annoying, and becuase of Sony's stupid Full-lock on HD sources I can onlwatch Widescreen Anamorphic DVDs. I am still kicking myself for not getting the extra year parts/labor warrenty for 10 bucks. I simply forgot to go to the store and buy it (noticed it only AFTER I had bought the set, but found out I could still get it within 30 days of purchase).
My Home Theatre
My Star Wars Collection

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users