What's new

Sharp a safe brand? (1 Viewer)

Brad_c_g

Agent
We're looking for a cheap/decent 27" CRT with no vcr or dvd built in to put in the family room. Found a 27" flat screen sharp for $229. Just want to make sure its not an "RCA" and go out after a year. Should I stick to proven brand like Sony or Toshiba when it comes to CRT?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Avoid Toshiba, they are no longer manufacturing their own tube sets.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Sharp is a very dependable TV brand. Consumer Reports will verify this. I have a 27" Sharp about 10 years old, and I've never had a problem with it. And I bought a 32" Sharp set about 6 months ago that's really nice.

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
I have experience with a 27” Sharp TV that my roommate and I split for college. It was only $200 and featured a component input, pip, and a few other nice features not normally found at this price point. The picture on it was great, good black levels and our PS2 looked really good though the component inputs. It also had good geometry, it is two years old now and is still working great, even after being moved between college and home several times. Stay away from Toshiba, they are now outsourcing to Orion, the only CRT brands I will recommend to people are Sony, Panasonic and Sharp.

Mark_Hi

Auditioning
Avoid Sharp like the plague. I bought their 65DR650 DLP set and it broke in a week. It has been sitting around for a month with Sharp telling the service center that the needed parts are not available. Sharp has been completely nonresponsive about when parts will be available and has not called me back when promised. Poor Quality and lack of support are a bad combination.

Brad_c_g

Agent
Thank you for the replies! I didn't know that about Toshiba thats very interesting. Does the same go for there DLP RP Tv's? I was actually looking at there 62" DLP. Now I am not so sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks