Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sharp a safe brand?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Brad_c_g

Brad_c_g

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted September 12 2005 - 08:32 AM

We're looking for a cheap/decent 27" CRT with no vcr or dvd built in to put in the family room. Found a 27" flat screen sharp for $229. Just want to make sure its not an "RCA" and go out after a year. Should I stick to proven brand like Sony or Toshiba when it comes to CRT?

#2 of 6 Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Producer

• 6,316 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted September 12 2005 - 11:57 AM

Avoid Toshiba, they are no longer manufacturing their own tube sets.

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#3 of 6 Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted September 12 2005 - 01:46 PM

Sharp is a very dependable TV brand. Consumer Reports will verify this. I have a 27" Sharp about 10 years old, and I've never had a problem with it. And I bought a 32" Sharp set about 6 months ago that's really nice.

#4 of 6 Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi

Second Unit

• 327 posts

Posted September 12 2005 - 02:53 PM

I have experience with a 27” Sharp TV that my roommate and I split for college. It was only $200 and featured a component input, pip, and a few other nice features not normally found at this price point. The picture on it was great, good black levels and our PS2 looked really good though the component inputs. It also had good geometry, it is two years old now and is still working great, even after being moved between college and home several times. Stay away from Toshiba, they are now outsourcing to Orion, the only CRT brands I will recommend to people are Sony, Panasonic and Sharp.

#5 of 6 Mark_Hi

Mark_Hi

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted September 12 2005 - 07:51 PM

Avoid Sharp like the plague. I bought their 65DR650 DLP set and it broke in a week. It has been sitting around for a month with Sharp telling the service center that the needed parts are not available. Sharp has been completely nonresponsive about when parts will be available and has not called me back when promised. Poor Quality and lack of support are a bad combination.

#6 of 6 Brad_c_g

Brad_c_g

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted September 13 2005 - 03:37 AM

Thank you for the replies! I didn't know that about Toshiba thats very interesting. Does the same go for there DLP RP Tv's? I was actually looking at there 62" DLP. Now I am not so sure.