132 replies to this topic

#41 of 133 RickardL

RickardL

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted September 18 2005 - 07:52 AM

Quote:
Can anyone confirm or deny if the UK set contains the "James Garner On-Camera Interview"?

Also, are the menu's on the UK set the same as ones on the R1 set?

Didn't see any extra at all on the UK R2 release.
The menues are different.

#42 of 133 Dale MA

Dale MA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted September 18 2005 - 08:48 AM

Thanks Rickard Posted Image

I'll probably import the R1 Rockford set.

#43 of 133 RickardL

RickardL

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted September 19 2005 - 08:20 AM

I can make some screen captures of the menus and
from the episodes but I can't host the pictures.
So if anyone can put them somewhere, let me know.
PM me in that case. They will probably be about 50Kb each.
(from the R2 boxset of course...)

#44 of 133 Dale MA

Dale MA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted September 19 2005 - 10:55 PM

I can host them Rickard, just send them to marty2015mcfly@hotmail.com and I'll post them in here Posted Image

#45 of 133 Dale MA

Dale MA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted September 20 2005 - 09:34 AM

A big thanks to Rickard who sent me an absolute ton of screenshots but I won't post them all here in order to prevent lagging for anyone with 56K modems.

Here's some shots of the menu's from the R2 set & a couple of random shots from the episodes themselves:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#46 of 133 RickardL

RickardL

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted September 20 2005 - 11:08 AM

Quote:
A big thanks to Rickard who sent me an absolute ton of screenshots but I won't post them all here in order to prevent lagging for anyone with 56K modems.
Thanks, Dale!

I just thought I should mention that the first cap is from
when the disc starts, shown while Jim's answering machine
sounds in the background.
After that, a moving menue starts while the title tune is played. I sampled some of the images just to show
you a few.
Then there is the episode menu and then two caps
from the "pilot" and two caps from The Kirkoff Case.

#47 of 133 Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted September 21 2005 - 03:03 AM

Man, that's GREAT news about this release finally for R1! Posted Image Posted Image Can't wait Posted Image

Matt, Paul: Didn't Lindsay Wagner guest-star in the "Backlash" eps?

OT: Thanks, "Packy" Posted Image It worked Posted Image

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#48 of 133 MattHR

MattHR

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 08:51 AM

Quote:
Matt, Paul: Didn't Lindsay Wagner guest-star in the "Backlash" eps?

Yes. And she reprised her character (Sara Butler) in season two's "Aura Lee, Farewell". She was one of many guest-stars who frequented "Rockford".

#49 of 133 RickardL

RickardL

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 11:19 AM

Quote:
Yes. And she reprised her character (Sara Butler) in season two's "Aura Lee, Farewell". She was one of many guest-stars who frequented "Rockford".

To be picky, that episode, "Aura Lee, Farewell", is actually from the first season.
I watched it on DVD last week... Posted Image

For you Rockford fans: is this book any good?
"Thirty Years of The Rockford Files : An Inside Look at America's Greatest Detective Series" by Ed Robertson

#50 of 133 MattHR

MattHR

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted September 21 2005 - 04:26 PM

Quote:
To be picky, that episode, "Aura Lee, Farewell", is actually from the first season.

Of course you're correct, and I knew it. The official season began six months after the pilot movie aired in March of '74. Since they now refer to the pilot as "episodes 1 & 2" of Season One, I was thinking "Aura Lee, Farewell" was from the next season, since it was broadcast ten months after the pilot.

#51 of 133 DanMel

DanMel

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted September 30 2005 - 10:24 AM

The Rockford Files is currently ranked on Amazon at number 12 for all DVD's being sold. This is truely amazing considering that there is still 3 months to go until it is released. It might eventually go down as the biggest TV show seller that amazon ever had. I don't even think that shows like Seinfeld ever moved up the charts this fast. I hope this will eventually lead to the release of the entire 1st season of Mavorick which is my favorite James Garner show.

#52 of 133 Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 05:22 AM

Only 2 more weeks to wait till release day!!! I can't wait!!

#53 of 133 Dan*T

Dan*T

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 07:38 AM

Quote:
The Rockford Files is currently ranked on Amazon at number 12 for all DVD's being sold.

That is awesome news!!
I cant wait to get my copy in a few weeks!! I certainly hope that all 6 seasons are released. This show is truly a gem.
The picture quality looks great in those screen shots. I'm glad that it was properly remastered.
Dan T.

#54 of 133 MattHR

MattHR

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 01:13 PM

I saw it in a major "big-box" chain store today...almost bought it, but I already had it pre-ordered elsewhere. I did alert the employee working the department that they had it for sale way before streetdate, so he pulled them (and FAMILY GUY V3, which was also on the shelf).

#55 of 133 MattHR

MattHR

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted November 23 2005 - 04:03 AM

Assuming the following review posted on Amazon is correct, I'll be ordering the R2 version:
Quote:
Finally, the Rockford Files on DVD! All 22 first-season episodes are here (The box lists 23 shows because "This Case is Closed," which originally aired as a 90-minute episode is inexplicably split in two.) Missing, however, is the pilot "Backlash of the Hunter." Unfortunately, Universal still can't get it right when it comes to dual-layer, dual-sided DVDs. The third disc is plagued by incessant freezing -- on the set I have, only the first episode on the third disc ("Sleight of Hand") played without incident. Beyond that, there's nothing but problems, rendering the seven remaining episodes unwatchable. This is unacceptable, and Universal needs to hear about it, and hear about it often. I can get around the fact that the extras are minimal -- only a brief interview with James Garner -- or that the episodes show residue and age. But releasing this fine TV show on often inoperable discs is unforgivable. Five out of five stars for this stellar show; 1 star for Universal's shoddy manufacturing.

So, we here in R1, after a very long wait, are rewarded with a brief Garner interview, but denied the pilot? I figured the other 90-minute episode ("This Case is Closed") would be the syndicated version, but I did not expect Universal to omit the pilot!

A possible explanation could be Universal's apparent policy of four-episodes-per-disc. "Rockford"'s first season had 21 regular 60-minute episodes, 1 90-minute episode and the 90-minute pilot. Since "This Case" and the pilot were both expanded into "two-parters" for syndication, the total number of hour-long episodes is 25 for season one. That 25th hour would require another disc, one that Universal may have been too cheap to include. Of course, had they used the original 90-minute versions there would be no problem, assuming my theory has merit (which it probably doesn't.) A more likely explanation is that this release was managed by someone without a clue.

Since the above review is only the first, I'll wait for a few more confirmations before ordering the R2 set. Otherwise, I may bite the bullet and get the R1, and transfer my original, unaltered pilot (from Universal's own VHS release!) to DVD for inclusion with the set.

Man, do I get tired about bitching about Universal! Posted Image

#56 of 133 Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted November 23 2005 - 04:31 AM

Argg, this better not be true about the pilot movie missing. As far as the bad disc 3 is concerned not everyone is gonna have the same problem obviously. But i have this on pre-order it almost would make me cancel my order if there is no pilot. Hopefully someone can get word from universal and find out.

#57 of 133 MattHR

MattHR

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted November 23 2005 - 04:42 AM

As I mentioned yesterday, I actually held the set at a store, and almost bought it. The back cover does state "23" episodes, which I figured (hoped!) meant the 22 regular + 1 pilot. The cover makes no mention of the pilot. The 23rd episode is obviously the "second" episode of the previously 90-minute one.

If this is the case, maybe TVShowsOnDVD can get some answers from Universal. Yeah right.

I'll probably be canceling my pre-order and opting for the R2. Universal still gets my $, only in a round-about way. It doesn't mean I'm happy about it, though.

#58 of 133 Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted November 23 2005 - 04:59 AM

I thought profit and loss was the only 2-parter in season 1 ? so roundabout is 90 minutes ? This really pisses me off, I may have to opt for R2 now aswell.

#59 of 133 MattHR

MattHR

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted November 23 2005 - 05:14 AM

Quote:
I thought profit and loss was the only 2-parter in season 1 ? so roundabout is 90 minutes

"Profit and Loss" is the only real 2-parter, originally broadcast in two separate weeks. "Roundabout" is a standard 1-hour episode. The pilot (retitled "Backlash of the Hunter" for its two-part syndi version) and "This Case is Closed" were both originally broadcast as 90-minute episodes/movies (75 minutes net.) They were both "expanded" to form two-part episodes that could be broadcast separately in syndication.

#60 of 133 Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted November 23 2005 - 05:19 AM

Matt: ok thanks for clearing up the 90-minute thing. You said you held the box in your hands. On the back of the packaging did it say whether it had the pilot or not ? Is this 100% definate or could the guy on amazon be not accurate.

Nevermind i see you answered that further up. hmmm i dunno what to do cancel and get r2 or wait and hope.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow