Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Rockford Files R1 12/6 ....!!!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
132 replies to this topic

#21 of 133 RickardL

RickardL

Second Unit

• 470 posts

Posted September 13 2005 - 07:58 AM

Quote:
Nobody should be demanding the "expanded" two-part version
Ah, never knew there were no added footage!
I guess that I am too young to have seen the real pilot.

Anyway, here is a breakdown of the times:

Part 1: total length 49 min 50 sec.
0. 32 sec preview
1. 1 min 9 sec title sequence
2. 34 sec preview of part 2
3. 32 sec end title sequence

Part 2: total length 49 min 46 sec.
0. 6 min 08 sec recap of part 1
1. 1 min 9 sec title sequence
2. 53 sec opening credits
3. 32 sec end title sequence

I recalculated the 25 fps to 24 fps to get NTSC timings.
They should be about 1 or maybe 2 seconds off at the most.
But if I remove all previews, title and end sequences, recap,
opening credits, I end up with 88 minutes and 7 seconds??
That is a bit more than 74 minutes... Posted Image
But is very close to those 90 minutes that your 1994 VHS tape has on the cover...

#22 of 133 MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,474 posts

Posted September 13 2005 - 08:23 AM

Quote:
But is very close to those 90 minutes that your 1994 VHS tape has on the cover...

The VHS cover incorrectly states the running time as 90 minutes, while the actual content runs 74 minutes. Another mistake on the packaging incorrectly indicates the program as "the famous two-part premiere". The premiere was, in fact, a 74-minute movie in a 90-minute timeslot.

#23 of 133 RickardL

RickardL

Second Unit

• 470 posts

Posted September 13 2005 - 09:00 AM

Matt, you seem like you know your Rockford but have you actually timed your VHS tape?
Or how do you know it is supposed to be 74 minutes?
http://epguides.com/...les/guide.shtml lists it as 90 minutes.
http://movies2.nytim....ml?v_id=133157 lists it as 90 minutes.
http://www.thrilling...e.com/rocj.html lists it as a two hour pilot which sounds like a 90 minute movie plus commercials...

#24 of 133 MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,474 posts

Posted September 13 2005 - 09:35 AM

Quote:
you seem like you know your Rockford but have you actually timed your VHS tape? Or how do you know it is supposed to be 74 minutes?

I watched (and noted its running time) just a few days ago, since this topic has been discussed recently. I even sampled my old 2-part version recorded from syndication.

The 74-minute running time was the standard (net) time for a show from the 70's broadcast in a 90-minute timeslot. There are many other examples of this 74-75 minute program ( +/- a few seconds) from the era (usually pilots or telefilms): NIGHT STALKER, COLUMBO, QUINCY, SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN, McCLOUD, etc. Most of these were part of a rotating series of "Movies of the Week" that later became weekly series, while others were just a one-shot event.

The standard hour-long episodes (of that era) were 49-50 minutes, while the half-hour episodes ran 24-25 minutes. That's how we know the 74 minute version is accurate.

#25 of 133 Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted September 13 2005 - 10:12 AM

TVshowsonDVD has the cover art up.
well, i like it. its simple and even though its just ahead shot, the coloring and simplicity gets across a vibe of the show better than the cover art that is seen in the trailer on the Mystery Movie titles released in Aug.
the way the copy was integrated on that version made the show look like something out of the Miami Vice or Knight Rider family.

the only thing i would (and hope) is changed would be the inclusion of the Classic Television banner at the top.

#26 of 133 RickardL

RickardL

Second Unit

• 470 posts

Posted September 13 2005 - 11:08 AM

Quote:
The 74-minute running time was the standard (net) time for a show from the 70's broadcast in a 90-minute timeslot. There are many other examples of this 74-75 minute program ( +/- a few seconds) from the era (usually pilots or telefilms): NIGHT STALKER, COLUMBO, QUINCY, SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN, McCLOUD, etc. Most of these were part of a rotating series of "Movies of the Week" that later became weekly series, while others were just a one-shot event.

The standard hour-long episodes (of that era) were 49-50 minutes, while the half-hour episodes ran 24-25 minutes. That's how we know the 74 minute version is accurate.
Well, I have to say that the pilots are longer:
Columbo pilot 1 Prescription Murder: 98 minutes
Columbo pilot 2 Ransom for a dead man: 95 minutes
McCloud pilot Portrait of a dead girl: 98 minutes
McCloud episode 1 The Man from Taos: 93 minutes
All other episodes are about 73-76 minutes which you said.

I think that the rumoured 74 min pilot of Rockford
is longer or how else would anyone explain the 88 minutes
that I measured from the DVD? And that was not counting
any title music sequences, previews, opening credits, end titles, recaps.
With that included, it is 99 minutes and 36 seconds.

#27 of 133 MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,474 posts

Posted September 13 2005 - 03:30 PM

Here are some notes from the "Rockford Files" page at tv.com:

Quote:
The Pilot is simply called 'The Rockford Files', but it also airs in a two part format called 'Backlash of the Hunter - separate shows with additional filler scenes to bring the viewing time up to fifty minutes.

Three scenes were reused within the the two part version of the pilot, the most glaring being character Jerry Grimes shown in the Mayfair lounge with a poster of Rose Marie in the background, only to be shown later in the episode in a nightclub called Gazzarri's sitting at the same stool with the same poster in the background.

Stuart Margolin is credited as Angel in the 90 minutes version of the Pilot, but in the two-part Backlash of the Hunter, he goes uncredited.

The two-part version uses the traditional theme used from season 3-6. The movie plays a jazzier version of the traditional theme at the beginning, otherwise there is no familiar opening theme used.

#28 of 133 MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,474 posts

Posted September 14 2005 - 11:15 AM

The cover art isn't terrible, but I think it's a bit too "slick", albeit simple. The Rockford character, and show, was not so "polished". I made a few versions that are also simple, but just feel more like the Rockford I know. I tend to like when they use an image or title screen from the actual series, especially for the first season.

http://home.mn.rr.co...._thumbs_LR.jpg

edit: fixed links -- combined images

#29 of 133 Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts

Posted September 14 2005 - 11:19 AM

Is it just my end but those pictures are to huge to view ?

#30 of 133 ElijahS

ElijahS

Supporting Actor

• 751 posts

Posted September 14 2005 - 11:21 AM

No, they are extremely large. Matt, try shrinking them to around 700 pixels wide.
- Elijah

My TV DVD Collection

STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIPThe all-new drama from the creator of THE WEST WING and SPORTS NIGHTPremiering this fall on NBCThe last five minutes of St. Elsewhere is the only television show, ever. Everything else is a daydream.

#31 of 133 David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted September 14 2005 - 12:19 PM

Quote:
Those pictures are too huge to view...
Right-Click on the huge image and click "View Image", and you'll get a nicely-sized view of the whole thing (sans scrolling).
Nice job on that, Matt. I like your two box-cover versions better than Uni's.

#32 of 133 David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted September 14 2005 - 12:34 PM

Re. "The Rockford Files" -- I've always been a big fan of Jim Garner (not the drummer friend of Jerry Van Dyke's on The Dick Van Dyke Show; I mean the Rockford dude; just a subtle little in-joke there Posted Image) -- And thusly I purchased the entire 6-Tape VHS video series of The Rockford Files several years ago.

But, to my dismay and disappointment, the episodes just didn't seem nearly as good as I remember them from the mid to late 1970s. I found nearly all of the six episodes presented in the VHS set of videos to be rather dull and lifeless, with not even the magnetic presence of Mr. Garner able to revive the scripts. (Just "IMO" of course -- I'm sure Matt is getting ready to strangle me for these anti-Rockford-like comments -- Matt seems to know his "Files" indeed Posted Image).

I enjoyed seeing the guest stars that popped up on the series, and I've always liked Gretchen Corbett as Rockford's #1 female, but the storylines just seemed kind of flat, IMO (on the 1994 MCA/Universal VHS set, at any rate; and I assume they probably picked out six "Best Of" episodes to put in that video series).

Perhaps Matt H. can talk some "Rockford-lovin'" sense into my noggin again, and restore my former faith and admiration of this TV series that I recall watching (and enjoying) back in the day. (Perhaps I was swept away by the fancy-schmancy living quarters in which Mr. Rockford dwelled -- that wonderful, hideous shoe-box of a trailer he lived in for years on the beachfront. Anybody wonder why on Earth he wanted to live in that thing, instead of a nice apartment or a condo or a house maybe? His "Per Day Plus Expenses" detective fees were surely enough to warrant better living accommodations. Wasn't it $200 per day that he charged clients?) Posted Image

Posted Image

#33 of 133 MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,474 posts

Posted September 14 2005 - 12:57 PM

Quote:
I'm sure Matt is getting ready to strangle me for these anti-Rockford-like comments.

David, don't worry--your neck is safe. I am not the huge "Rockford" expert you think I am. I just enjoy the show. You're right about the scripts--many were pretty flat. It was common for Universal to float many scripts from show to show, retooling them to fit a particular one. There were so many cop/detective/P.I./doctor/lawyer shows produced by Universal during "Rockford"'s era that it's no wonder many of the scripts became mundane.

The success of "Rockford" was always attributed to the likeability of James Garner. Viewers were always very comfortable with him, and enjoyed the chemistry he had with his co-stars and many famous guest-stars. Garner was well-liked in Hollywood, and had no trouble recruiting "A-list" talent to appear on his show, most of whom were good friends off-camera.

My favorite guest-stars included Isaac Hayes, Rita Moreno, Louis Gossett, Jr. and Lauren Bacall, to name just a few. Many of the guest-stars had recurring roles over the show's six seasons. When these then-"A-list" guests appeared, they were always believable in their characters. To me, it never felt like a ratings ploy to feature high-profile guest-stars. I think they all genuinely wanted to appear on the show to work with Garner.

#34 of 133 ElijahS

ElijahS

Supporting Actor

• 751 posts

Posted September 14 2005 - 01:10 PM

Quote:
The success of "Rockford" was always attributed to the likeability of James Garner.
Thank you for saying that. THAT is why I like this show when I don't like similar shows from that era. I've been trying to figure out why, and for some reason, it never clicked until you said that.
- Elijah

My TV DVD Collection

STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIPThe all-new drama from the creator of THE WEST WING and SPORTS NIGHTPremiering this fall on NBCThe last five minutes of St. Elsewhere is the only television show, ever. Everything else is a daydream.

#35 of 133 David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted September 14 2005 - 02:04 PM

Quote:
It was common for Universal to float many scripts from show to show, retooling them to fit a particular one. There were so many cop/detective/P.I./doctor/lawyer shows produced by Universal during "Rockford"'s era, that it's no wonder many of the scripts became mundane.
Good point, Matt. I imagine it was a difficult task for writers to come up with "new" material week after week, when they were up against very similar fare -- i.e. Barnaby Jones, Mannix, Cannon, Charlie's Angels, Petrocelli, Columbo, McMillan & Wife, McCloud, Toma, Dan August, Starsky And Hutch, Kojak, Baretta, Police Story, Police Woman, Quincy, and S.W.A.T. -- plus probably a dozen others I failed to mention. Posted Image

#36 of 133 ElijahS

ElijahS

Supporting Actor

• 751 posts

Posted September 15 2005 - 09:20 AM

Slightly revised cover art available:

http://www.tvshowson...cfm?NewsID=4128
- Elijah

My TV DVD Collection

#37 of 133 Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted September 16 2005 - 10:24 AM

Here's some good news; menus, and an extra!

http://www.tvshowson...cfm?NewsID=4135

Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#38 of 133 MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,474 posts

Posted September 16 2005 - 06:40 PM

At least the menus are pretty nice. They really convey the feel of the show. I still don't like the cover art, though. That ridiculous blue tint is all wrong. I've seen that exact photo online, but in its original color. It would look so much better if left untinted.

I added a few additional cover designs to a previous post in this thread. I'm certainly no graphic design professional, but if I do say so myself, I prefer all four of them to the one Universal has chosen to use.

#39 of 133 Dale MA

Dale MA

Supporting Actor

• 942 posts

Posted September 17 2005 - 02:33 AM

Can anyone confirm or deny if the UK set contains the "James Garner On-Camera Interview"?

Also, are the menu's on the UK set the same as ones on the R1 set?

#40 of 133 Dan*T

Dan*T

Supporting Actor

• 525 posts

Posted September 17 2005 - 05:07 PM

I'm just glad that it's FINALLY being released!!
And with a Garner interview!!
BONUS
Posted Image
I wasn't expecting extras with this one!!
Dan T.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow