What's new

2005 War of the Worlds 11/22 (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Of course they have to do the 1-Disc (which I am assuming will be completely bare bones) and the 2-Disc deluxe versions. I wish they would cut the crap with this.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
What crap? It's a good thing to give the consumer a choice. Anyone who wants a fully-loaded multi-disc set can get it, and anyone who doesn't want to waste money on supplemental feature's he'll never watch can have his way as well.

John*D

Second Unit
mmm... DTS!

Besides, releasing them both on the same day is heck of a lot better than releasing the 1 disc first and then releasing the 2-disc next year.

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator
it's definitey GOOD they're releasing both at once!! It gives us a choice, and even better - we don't get the bare bones one first with a 'promise' of a better one down the line.

how can this be bad?

~Jason

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Because if you want extras, you are going to have to pay a premium. If the 1-Disc set was sold at a true bargain price and the 2-Disc was sold at a more "standard" price, I wouldn't mind so much. At the very least, they could do it like WB and price the 2-Disc at only a dollar or two more. Doubt that will happen here.

But if people are happy with this "solution", so be it.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Well, that's a complaint about the pricing, not the release structure. $30 does seem a bit steep for a bare-bones disc; I won't argue with you on this point.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Well I thought that would be the logical ascertainment from my gripe. I have nothing against giving consumers a choice, but I resent that fans of extras are being milked for premium dollars (especially when I consider how much money I have pumped into this industry already)

Do any studios release new films in stand alone 2-Disc SEs at the usual $29.99 MSRP anymore?

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
DVD Answers now has the covers up. Glad they went with no faces on the 2-discer, which is what I'm getting.

Shit, this fall, starting with September all the way to December, is killer on the ol' credit card.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, for the Bare Bones. The 2-Disc won't be as heavilly discounted at the stores. It will probably retail for at least $25 and that is being generous.

I think I would rather have the double dips that the premium priced 2-disc edition. At least most double dips are easy to predict and you can choose to hold off until the better edition arrives (not couting re-releases that occur years later) And when it does, you can usually get it for a more reasonable price.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Guess I'm just longing for the good old days. However, didn't they do the same Deluxe Edition of "The Terminal" where the Disc-2 extras turned out to be pretty lame (as in like, little more than standard EPK stuff) If the extras really warrant the extra money (and since I am assuming that most of whatever extras appear were filmed right on the set, I'm not sure how a premium price can really be justified) that's one thing, but if Disc-2 is going to be a collection of shallow featurettes, then I think it is kind of a rip off and it seems resentful to demand a premium price for it.

But anyway, I'm not trying to turn this into a Standard Edition vs. Deluxe Edition debate.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Depending on the price difference, I may just buy the single disc and rent the 2-disc version since I usually only watch extras once anyway. I'm just glad the film itself is getting the DTS treatment because it's the best sounding movie I've EVER experienced in a theater. I can't wait to hear this DVD on my system. :emoji_thumbsup:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
In spite of the Big Tom Cruise Head cover, I would probably just go with the one-discer. I barely touch extras anyway.

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
I'll get the 2 disc in spite of its being overpriced (at least its not $45 like the 2 disc Cinderella Man). The prices for 2 discs is getting out of hand.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
The Terminal also had the soundtrack CD to justify the higher price.

By the way, The Digital Bits now lists an SRP of $36.98 for the double-disc set. Slightly cheaper than I feared (probably because this time no soundtrack CD is included).

Chris

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
So, if SRP is $36.96 that means it will probably be about $24.99 at all the stores opening week, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks