Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

If the security detector at the store beeps on your way out ...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
63 replies to this topic

#1 of 64 LewB

LewB

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted September 09 2005 - 02:42 AM

I bought 2 CDs at the local BB. The cashier was eating something that had peanut butter in it (I know because I could smell it), and chatted with his buddy about what he was doing after work while I was at the register. This put me in a mood to start. When I left, I set off the security beeper because the idiot didn't de-magnetized both CDs.
I heard it and just kept walking into the mall. I finally stopped about 50ft away from the store after the guy at the door yelled 'sir, sir..' a million times. I made him come to me instead of walking back to him. I just stood there, gave him the bag with the credit card receipt in it (and an attitude). He walked back to the store, then back to me (still 50 feet away) with the bag after he checked the receipt against the contents.
I then said F* it and went back in (setting off the alarm again) and returned the 2 CDs.

My question is: Did I have to stop at all ? Is setting off the alarm enough of a reason to stop dead and return to the store ?

#2 of 64 Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted September 09 2005 - 02:52 AM

Well if you didn't stop they would assume the worse. Can you blame them?

So the cashier screwed up. They checked and realized you weren't shoplifting. These things happen...

Why did you return the discs? Were you having a bad day?

--
H

#3 of 64 RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted September 09 2005 - 03:01 AM

Usually when i set off the alarm i stop, and they say go ahead and wave me on. Maybe they know me, or maybe they just saw me leave from the cash register. I hardly ever have my bag looked at. But i always stop if it goes off. The guy working security is just doing his job even if the guy on the register isn't. The guy not giving you the time of day at the register is what pissed you off, and i can understand that. To me thats as bad as someone on a cell phone at the register not giving the clerk the time of day. I always give people the respect id want even if they don't return the favor.

#4 of 64 Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter

• 1,210 posts

Posted September 09 2005 - 03:08 AM

Sounds like it was more inconvenient for you to return the CDs than simply stop and let the guy peek into your bag. Customer service isn't perfect all the time. I was in Home Depot buying paint this weekend and the guy was totally snotty towards me, answering questions with an attitude and didn't even have the decency to make eye contact. But you know what? I had a long day and wanted to get the paint to make my life easier. So F him!

Now you need to spend more time to find your CDs elsewhere. You gotta choose your battles and maybe this one was important enough to you to forgo the purchase.

We all have our breaking points and pet peeves so I don't fault you for doing what you thought was necessary.
"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." Muhammed Ali, (Cassius Clay)

#5 of 64 LewB

LewB

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted September 09 2005 - 03:23 AM

Quote:
Why did you return the discs? Were you having a bad day?

Yeah, pretty much.

Plus one of the blue shirts tried explaining to my why I needed a $1K Monster power conditioner. My response was 'to protect and enhance one of your $400 receivers?'

I went across the street and got the CDs at Circuit City.

#6 of 64 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,418 posts

Posted September 09 2005 - 03:31 AM

So taking maybe two minutes of your time to have them check the contents is more bothersome than having to go through the bother of returning them, and then going to yet another store where the same thing might happen? That seems.....difficult to understand.

#7 of 64 Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted September 09 2005 - 03:41 AM

More than that, they had already cleared him when he decided to go back in and return them, rather than just turning around and going home.

I guess it was a really bad day Posted Image

--
H

#8 of 64 Scott_Sch

Scott_Sch

Stunt Coordinator

• 107 posts

Posted September 09 2005 - 03:47 AM

Best Buy really is awful with demagnitizing merchandise. I can't tell you how many times they just wave me through the sensors at their store, but then every other freakin store I go into, I buzz on the way in and on the way out. It really is kind of annoying. I've had other stores demagnitize BB merchandise because they get so tired of hearing everybody set off the alarm when they enter the store (I guess they just look for the BB bag). Oh well...its a good attention grabber at least.

#9 of 64 Matt^Brown

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor

• 623 posts

Posted September 09 2005 - 03:53 AM

LewB I am right with you on this one an apparently against the grain with everyone else. I find that half the time I purchase something with a beeper on it they don't demagnetize it correctly causing the alarm to go off. Now I have never taken anything and I hate looking like a thief at the front of a store while the alarm is ringing. After several years of this driving me crazy I decided to say F@*k it and make a game out of it. Now I intentionally start walking faster as soon as I approach the exit to a store where I have just purchased something I think might set off the alarm. If the alarm goes off I just keep walking. I know I didn't steal anything and I keep walking and I keep walking fast. Eventually someone will run up to me and want to check my receipt which I will show them but it always makes me laugh.

My main point: Instead of this being an annoyance in my life it has now become rather fun. Kind of like chewing gum in school. The gum really isn't that great. Its the point that you are doing something that you aren't really suppose to be doing.
The Legend is better than reality!

#10 of 64 Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted September 09 2005 - 04:17 AM

> Why did you return the discs?

Because he didn't want to reward their incompetence.

#11 of 64 John Perry

John Perry

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted September 09 2005 - 04:19 AM

This irritates me to no end as well. I'm not a thief, but I have to be treated like one?

They have no legal right to stop you. If they try to physically stop you, you can sue them.

If this happens to me I also keep walking, I have yet to stop for anyone outside the store.

#12 of 64 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,418 posts

Posted September 09 2005 - 04:30 AM

Quote:
Seems much less bothersome to simply choose not to shop there again.

#13 of 64 Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted September 09 2005 - 04:37 AM

RobertR,
Normally we don't agree on much, but I'm right here with you on this one.

This type of thing happens to me quite a bit. No big deal in the grand scheme of things. They check it, see I bought it, I move on. Woooo 10 seconds off my life. Big Deal.

#14 of 64 Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted September 09 2005 - 05:03 AM

Well, you are talking about a store that once tried to have people arrested for buying some kind of computer video card on sale. BB isn't exactly run by the zoo's best trained monkeys.
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#15 of 64 LewB

LewB

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted September 09 2005 - 05:12 AM

Quote:
Seems much less bothersome to simply choose not to shop there again.

My plan to no longer shop there started with the return which was a weak attempt on my part to not reward their incompetence.

#16 of 64 Jerry Almeida

Jerry Almeida

Second Unit

• 422 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted September 09 2005 - 06:39 AM

Quote:
They have no legal right to stop you.

Are you sure about that? If you're leaving a store you're usually stepping out into a parking lot which is still their property. They can stop whomever they want on their property, especially if they have probable cause. I'd say an alarm going off is probable cause. Not sure how much of a lawsuit you'd have unless they actually used some kind of excessive violence against you. Just my take.
Everybody relax, I'm here. -Jack Burton

#17 of 64 Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted September 09 2005 - 06:45 AM

In order for loss prevention associates to stop a patron they must see you take something, follow you (not losing you for a moment) and watch you walk out the door with it. Now, they can do that with cameras too, and that makes it easier to prosecute.

Now, if they fail to meet those requirements you have no legal obligation to stop for them. If they then try to restrain you, then you can certainly sue them for assault. If they actual restrain you (walmart LP carries handcuffs for unrulies) then you can sue them and have them thrown in jail for unlawful restraint or some such thing. EDIT: as far as 'still on their property', well yeah you are. but if you visit my house I can't make you stay there, can I? Nor can I force you to open your bags or perform a strip search. All they can do then is charge you with tresspassing if you don't submit to their search, but they have to warn you first. So, if I walk out and they think I stole something and didn't see me, the best they can do is say, "don't come around here any more".

I too hate the doors at local places. Such as at walmart or bjs when they have somebody check your recipt on the way out to MAKE SURE that YOU aren't a THIEF. What?!? A few weeks ago I told my fiance that if the line is long, I'm not waiting... if they have a problem with that then we'll figure it out.

#18 of 64 Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor

• 519 posts

Posted September 09 2005 - 06:55 AM

I never stop when I set off the alarm. I paid for the merchandise, I have my receipt. They can yell at me all they want, I'm not stopping and walking back in the store. If they run and catch up to me I'll let them check my bag. It's happened to me plenty of times at BB and Walmart. At BB they chase me down and check the receipt. I've never had any one chase me down at Walmart.

#19 of 64 Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor

• 962 posts

Posted September 09 2005 - 07:22 AM

I stop and look around, if someone comes over then i will stop and let the look. Usually I am waved on through, although since I am usually checking my receipt anyway its never been a hassle.
Good lord, there's nothing worse than the foul stench of desperation when someone wants to be famous.

- Luis Esp

#20 of 64 LewB

LewB

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted September 09 2005 - 07:26 AM

That was sort of my take on the whole deal.
There is no sign (that I know of), saying you agree to be stopped just by having been on their property. Certainly nothing at the sensors.
The fact that the sensors go off so frequently due to employee errors or whatever else sort of makes them less than a 100% effective method of determining that you are a crook. I would think that there would be the need for more proof.
I think they just figure that the beeping and a 'loss prevention associate' (woo, big name) will make you stop dead in your tracks and allow them to have their way with you.

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow