What's new

Reunion - ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Following tonight's season premiere of The O.C. on Fox is the high concept show called "Reunion" where each episode takes place a year after the previous year, starting with 1986 (I think that's the year as the show will end its first season in 2006, so that might make sense to have its first episode start in 1986), and it's got a mystery angle that takes 20 years to solve.

I'll be checking it out (along with the NFL game in a bit of channel-surfing).

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I graduated in 1986. So I might watch this show...although....the show reminds me that I also graduated 20 years ago and how old that makes me feel. ;)

Adam Portrais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Portrais
I saw it before tonight and I really liked it and think once the show gets going could be really good. I'm interested to see what you guys think.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
You know you are a DVD-phile when two minutes into the show you are wondering how FOX is going to secure the music rights for the DVD. lol. Just about ever few minutes there is a popular 80's song in the background, and I can only imagine how much the DVD would be, heh.

The show is going very steady and seems like it could have a lot of potential. Much better than Point Pleasant.

Ryan

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
What's sort of interesting is how they have to throw in all the cliches at a rapid clip because they have to try and cover the highlights of each year, so the plot twists are brought up and then dealt with without all the usual melodrama of episodic TV that strings out such plot development, all the while, the writers have to weave a murder mystery to sustain the show for 20 episodes. This show could be great, or it might be aiming too high and end up somewhat messy. Time will tell, but I'll tune in the next 5 years, err, episodes...

Oh, someone at Fox must love Amanda Righetti, they keep casting her and I keep tuning in.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Funny, Patrick, I tuned in for Chyler Leigh, loved her since Not Another Teen Movie.

Good show, interesting premise that could easily go off the rails, but I hope it doesn't, the first episode held my attention very well.

That one dude, I don't know his character's name yet, looks so much like Tom Cruise during his Risky Business days it's not even funny.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I thought it was pretty good. I'll keep watching at least for the next few episodes.

Same here. :D

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Absolutely. I kept thinking, "I hope they included the DVD rights in whatever contract was signed for the music"

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I decided to check it out and I was surprised how much I liked it. OC and Reunion the thursday guilty pleasure punch

capt

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Honest opinion.

I thought the premise was interesting. I enjoyed the songs. But, overall I thought it was just mediocre. Ok at best. I have not been hooked, but haven't been turned away quite yet either. I'll try it again.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I really did not like it. The dialog was really bad, I am talking "Days of Our Lives" bad, and the plotline was just one melodramatic cliche after another with nothing clever, surprising, or interesting to distract me from that fact.

w.r.t. the dialog, I first thought: Well, maybe they are trying to capture the way 18 year old's talk and are doing sort of the anti-Dawson's Creek thing. That theory went out the window when they showed the flashforward scenes with the cop.

I stuck it out to the end, but I don't think I'll be back next week.

Regards,

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
Just got done watching it this morning before work, I really liked it. The concept was cool, the only thing I'm wondering is how they plan on keeping it up if they decide to do more than one year. But being that it's on Fox we'll get to about the 12 or 13th episode and it'll be cancelled. And then we'll have to wait for DVD to see the rest of it, but because of securing music rights it won't be out until 2007. Ehe.
Here's hoping for a good first season for the show.

Chyler Leigh, when being portrayed as as the young Carla, looked like Jewel Staite sometimes to me, other times not so much, but she's cute and likeable, I'm interested in finding out how she turned into what she was in 2006.

I think it was Craig, that you were talking about John, he did look a lot like a young Tom Cruise. I wonder if they'll use that in future episodes.

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
I thought it was *ok*...The fact that the OC sucked so badly made Reunion seem better than it really was, at least to me.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Thought it was a good first episode.

> The concept was cool, the only thing I'm wondering is how they plan on keeping it up if they decide to do more than one year.

I wonder that, too. Do producers think beyond the first season these days?

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

Fox are making quite a hoopla about this being a self contained one season 'drama'.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S

Will already called him "Mr. Cruise" when they were speeding in the car together.

Wow, I thought that was a pretty horrid premiere. The acting, dialogue and situations were below soap opera quality. The use of music really hit a nostalgic note, though. However, I'm willing to perhaps give it another look next week. I AM curious who eventually kills whom.

My early guess is that Sam's baby grows up and kills Craig after learning Craig let Will (the baby's father) take the fall.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

Fox is repeating the pilot, "1986", tonight (9/9) at 9e/8c, right after the benefit concert.

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
Reading a little more on tv.com (I don't know if it's reliable or not) but I guess each season is supposed to be a new cast.

I doubt it, look how many shows only last 5-10 episodes these days. It's the really good ones where the plots are plotted out before the show even starts taping I tend to think are the better ones. Much like Veronica Mars or Lost or even Buffy.

So in other words I just answered my own question. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks