• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 of 109 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Advanced Member

• 37,398 posts

Posted September 08 2005 - 10:07 AM

Following tonight's season premiere of The O.C. on Fox is the high concept show called "Reunion" where each episode takes place a year after the previous year, starting with 1986 (I think that's the year as the show will end its first season in 2006, so that might make sense to have its first episode start in 1986), and it's got a mystery angle that takes 20 years to solve.

I'll be checking it out (along with the NFL game in a bit of channel-surfing).
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 109 todd s

todd s

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,807 posts

Posted September 08 2005 - 11:04 AM

I graduated in 1986. So I might watch this show...although....the show reminds me that I also graduated 20 years ago and how old that makes me feel. Posted Image
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#3 of 109 Adam Portrais

Adam Portrais

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted September 08 2005 - 01:05 PM

I saw it before tonight and I really liked it and think once the show gets going could be really good. I'm interested to see what you guys think.

#4 of 109 RyanAn

RyanAn

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted September 08 2005 - 01:33 PM

You know you are a DVD-phile when two minutes into the show you are wondering how FOX is going to secure the music rights for the DVD. lol. Just about ever few minutes there is a popular 80's song in the background, and I can only imagine how much the DVD would be, heh.

The show is going very steady and seems like it could have a lot of potential. Much better than Point Pleasant.

Ryan

#5 of 109 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Advanced Member

• 37,398 posts

Posted September 08 2005 - 02:13 PM

What's sort of interesting is how they have to throw in all the cliches at a rapid clip because they have to try and cover the highlights of each year, so the plot twists are brought up and then dealt with without all the usual melodrama of episodic TV that strings out such plot development, all the while, the writers have to weave a murder mystery to sustain the show for 20 episodes. This show could be great, or it might be aiming too high and end up somewhat messy. Time will tell, but I'll tune in the next 5 years, err, episodes...

Oh, someone at Fox must love Amanda Righetti, they keep casting her and I keep tuning in.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#6 of 109 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted September 08 2005 - 02:33 PM

Funny, Patrick, I tuned in for Chyler Leigh, loved her since Not Another Teen Movie.

Good show, interesting premise that could easily go off the rails, but I hope it doesn't, the first episode held my attention very well.

That one dude, I don't know his character's name yet, looks so much like Tom Cruise during his Risky Business days it's not even funny.
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#7 of 109 Vlad D

Vlad D

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted September 08 2005 - 02:44 PM

I thought it was pretty good. I'll keep watching at least for the next few episodes.

Quote:
Oh, someone at Fox must love Amanda Righetti, they keep casting her and I keep tuning in.

Same here. Posted Image

#8 of 109 WillG

WillG

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,213 posts

Posted September 08 2005 - 02:56 PM

Quote:
What's sort of interesting is how they have to throw in all the cliches at a rapid clip because they have to try and cover the highlights of each year

I definately felt the cliche when they showed the character who is completely wrong about what the future will hold (Andrew Ridgely)

Quote:
You know you are a DVD-phile when two minutes into the show you are wondering how FOX is going to secure the music rights for the DVD

Absolutely. I kept thinking, "I hope they included the DVD rights in whatever contract was signed for the music"
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#9 of 109 CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts

Posted September 08 2005 - 03:14 PM

I decided to check it out and I was surprised how much I liked it. OC and Reunion the thursday guilty pleasure punch

capt

#10 of 109 Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted September 08 2005 - 09:07 PM

Honest opinion.

I thought the premise was interesting. I enjoyed the songs. But, overall I thought it was just mediocre. Ok at best. I have not been hooked, but haven't been turned away quite yet either. I'll try it again.

#11 of 109 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Advanced Member

• 6,056 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted September 09 2005 - 12:21 AM

I really did not like it. The dialog was really bad, I am talking "Days of Our Lives" bad, and the plotline was just one melodramatic cliche after another with nothing clever, surprising, or interesting to distract me from that fact.

w.r.t. the dialog, I first thought: Well, maybe they are trying to capture the way 18 year old's talk and are doing sort of the anti-Dawson's Creek thing. That theory went out the window when they showed the flashforward scenes with the cop.

I stuck it out to the end, but I don't think I'll be back next week.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#12 of 109 nickGreenwood

nickGreenwood

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted September 09 2005 - 01:14 AM

Just got done watching it this morning before work, I really liked it. The concept was cool, the only thing I'm wondering is how they plan on keeping it up if they decide to do more than one year. But being that it's on Fox we'll get to about the 12 or 13th episode and it'll be cancelled. And then we'll have to wait for DVD to see the rest of it, but because of securing music rights it won't be out until 2007. Ehe.
Here's hoping for a good first season for the show.

Chyler Leigh, when being portrayed as as the young Carla, looked like Jewel Staite sometimes to me, other times not so much, but she's cute and likeable, I'm interested in finding out how she turned into what she was in 2006.

I think it was Craig, that you were talking about John, he did look a lot like a young Tom Cruise. I wonder if they'll use that in future episodes.
-Nick G.

"The number of people whose permission I need before I can do whatever the hell I want..." - Josh Lyman

#13 of 109 todd s

todd s

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,807 posts

Posted September 09 2005 - 02:16 AM

I missed it. Does anyone know if Fox will repeat it?
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#14 of 109 Rakesh.S

Rakesh.S

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted September 09 2005 - 02:40 AM

I thought it was *ok*...The fact that the OC sucked so badly made Reunion seem better than it really was, at least to me.

#15 of 109 Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,215 posts

Posted September 09 2005 - 04:13 AM

Thought it was a good first episode.

> The concept was cool, the only thing I'm wondering is how they plan on keeping it up if they decide to do more than one year.

I wonder that, too. Do producers think beyond the first season these days?

#16 of 109 BrianB

BrianB

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,211 posts

Posted September 09 2005 - 04:17 AM

Quote:
The concept was cool, the only thing I'm wondering is how they plan on keeping it up if they decide to do more than one year.

Fox are making quite a hoopla about this being a self contained one season 'drama'.
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

#17 of 109 Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,345 posts

Posted September 09 2005 - 05:36 AM

Quote:
I think it was Craig, that you were talking about John, he did look a lot like a young Tom Cruise. I wonder if they'll use that in future episodes.

Will already called him "Mr. Cruise" when they were speeding in the car together.

Wow, I thought that was a pretty horrid premiere. The acting, dialogue and situations were below soap opera quality. The use of music really hit a nostalgic note, though. However, I'm willing to perhaps give it another look next week. I AM curious who eventually kills whom.

My early guess is that Sam's baby grows up and kills Craig after learning Craig let Will (the baby's father) take the fall.

#18 of 109 David Williams

David Williams

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts

Posted September 09 2005 - 06:21 AM

Quote:
I missed it. Does anyone know if Fox will repeat it?

Fox is repeating the pilot, "1986", tonight (9/9) at 9e/8c, right after the benefit concert.
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#19 of 109 nickGreenwood

nickGreenwood

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted September 09 2005 - 07:13 AM

Reading a little more on tv.com (I don't know if it's reliable or not) but I guess each season is supposed to be a new cast.

Quote:
I wonder that, too. Do producers think beyond the first season these days?

I doubt it, look how many shows only last 5-10 episodes these days. It's the really good ones where the plots are plotted out before the show even starts taping I tend to think are the better ones. Much like Veronica Mars or Lost or even Buffy.

So in other words I just answered my own question. Posted Image
-Nick G.

"The number of people whose permission I need before I can do whatever the hell I want..." - Josh Lyman

#20 of 109 MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted September 09 2005 - 09:09 AM

The concept was cool, the only thing I'm wondering is how they plan on keeping it up if they decide to do more than one year.

Maybe they'll all end up in prison, and next season they plan a prison break that takes 20 years to achieve.
40% Ben Katz + 30% Bobby Hill (Texas) + 20% Monica Geller + 10% William Dent. (Wardrobe by George Costanza)

Back to TV Programming

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow