What's new

US Open 2005 (Tennis) (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Agassi is king. What a game!

"I'm not the winner, tennis is. To have 20,000 people here at 1:15am is awesome." :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Phil_L

Second Unit
This was one of the best matches I have ever seen. This has been one heck of a tournament so far. Disappointed that Lindsey lost but there has been plenty of excitement to go around.

Agassi is amazing. Looking forward to seeing how Ginepri handles him.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I had to go to bed during the fourth set, but it looked like both guys were alternating bad stretches with lots of unforced errors. But there were some great points mixed in, and it sounds like the fifth set was terrific.

Sharapova had an entertaining comment after she beat Petrova the other night. It was much more of a guts-and-nerves win than a well-played effort, so she was kind of emotionally overwhelmed in the immediate post-match interview. But she still managed to get in a joke about having "lost my mojo," and then she started laughing. :laugh:

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that camera view is awfully nice! Among the various tennis babes out there, the great thing about Maria is the pleasant sort of charisma she has that makes it very easy to root for her. Kournikova was hot, of course, but such a prima donna that you couldn't really root for her if you wanted to respect yourself in the morning. ;) And needless to say, Sharapova's on-court accomplishments have already vastly exceeded Kournikova's entire career. Should be an exciting finish to the women's side, none of the semi-finalists have ever won this tournament.

On the men's side, a Hewitt-Federer semi would probably be great, and Agassi-Ginepri will hopefully be fun. I still think it's definitely Federer's tournament to lose, which I doubt he'll do.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"Disappointed that Lindsey lost "

How do you think she felt?? She played like crap, and couldn't even tee off on a 70mph serve.

The Agassi match was fantastic. You felt that Agassi was trying to stay in the match long enough to get a read on Blake, and see his weaknesses.

Blake has improved greatly in the last year, and looks like the new guard for the U.s. + he seems to be a class act.

Brent

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
I don't have cable so wasn't able to watch the match, but I was pulling for Blake given his come-back story. Since Agassi got the better of Blake, I would like to see him win this thing. I have an enourmous amount of respect for Agassi - his tennis is awesome and his involvement in charities is even more impressive. Sampras may have all the records but in my eyes Agassi is a true tennis role model. I would like to see Agassi retire on the top of his game.

PS I hope his thread doesn't evolve into a teenager's discussion of who's hot, blah, blah, blah.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Me neither. They showed the final set on CBS when the highlights show was supposed to run.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to go all teen on you, Drew, but some of us can't completely help ourselves. :D

I seriously doubt that Agassi would be able to beat Federer, if they meet in the finals. Agassi did take him to five sets in the semis last year before losing, but I doubt we'd get a replay of that this time around. More surprising things have happened, of course, but it sure doesn't seem likely to me.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
Agassi has always rubbed me the wrong way, as does Roddick. It was nice to see Roddick get knocked out early. Now someone needs to beat Agassi! Federer certainly took care of business with Nalbandian...

On another note, I've recently added digital cable, and it's been really nice seeing some of the evening matches in HD on Universal HD! I've never seen tennis look so good!! Too bad I don't get CBS HD :frowning:

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
Bye-bye Sharapova, I know the media/networks are pissed that you didn't make it into the finals. I still maintain that Wimby was a fluke!

I was also happy to see Roddick gone. He's an idiot.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Sharapova's record in slams this year: semi-finals, quarterfinals, semi-finals, semi-finals. Yeah, some fluke that Wimby championship was. How could anyone possibly think that she'll ever win another major? Yes, the hype is somewhat out of control, but stop hatin', Drew! :)

Congrats to Clijsters and Dementieva on making the finals. Clijsters has certainly lived up to the expectations so far that she set coming in, having won all those big hardcourt tournaments leading up to the Open.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"Congrats to Clijsters and Dementieva on making the finals."

Sorry, that would be Clijsters and an old lady named Mary.

Brent

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Ah, you see, what happened was...I thought that...nah, I'm just a moron. Sorry, Mary. :b

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor

I was disappointed, myself. Sherapova is the reason God made HDTV. To be denied more High-Def Maria. . . well, words can't express.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Dave, what don't you like about Agassi?

I think it's great that Agassi is getting the recognition he deserves after such a great career. He was always overshadowed by Sampras in terms of how good people thought he was.

I don't think there's much chance of Federer losing which bums me out a bit as I'd like to see Agassi win the Open one more time.

As for Sharapova, she 's got plenty of time to win more. Although with Clijsters, Henin Hardenne, Venus and Serena all having missed a lot of tournaments over the past year, you have to wonder why Sharapova didn't win more slams.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
LOL, Drew...my point is just that since she's knocking on the door at literally every slam, it's far more likely than not that she'll win more of them at some point.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
This may be Agassi's last stand and I'm sure pulling for him. He's been my favorite player since Edberg retired.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks