What's new

Looking fot another episode guide website. (1 Viewer)

Tom_mkfty

Stunt Coordinator
www.tv.com is useless.

That website was not built right.

Having a good episode guide website helps me deside whether or not to buy a particular TV DVD set.

MattHR

Screenwriter

I agree. I used to consult it often when it was known as tvtome.com. I don't even bother anymore.

Joel C

Screenwriter
Man, I knew I wasn't crazy. TVtome.com was simple and very easy to use. TV.com clutters it up with tons of additional clicking and is slow as hell. I hated that build when it was just gamespot.com a site I rarely used. I was very annoyed when I saw it change.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
I use TV.com but I definitely preferred TVTome.com. I'll have to check out that other site as well.

~ Later ~

Ok... just checked it out and all their episode summaries are linked to TV.com. So, it sort of defeats the purpose.

StacyV

Second Unit

That's right. The summaries on epguides.com were linked to that site when it was tvtome, so it's not really an alternative site.

If it's a specific show, searching for a site dedicated to that show might help. For example, fameforever.com had a pretty decent episode guide for the series Fame, with song listings and such. UltimateDallas.com was a site I consulted when considering the recent Dallas season 3 release, though with spelling errors and some less than thorough descriptions, their episode guide isn't perfect. But show-specific sites like those may be one way to help you out.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Sometimes you can check fan sites dedicated to a particular show. I got a Burns & Allen episode guide through a Yahoo group fan club. A real lifesaver.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I feel the same about tv.com. When it first showed up I wanted to email them and complain, but I couldn't find any link. I'd love to tell them what they can do with their new format.

Glenn

Guido

Stunt Coordinator
They have NO way to contact them, that's the problem - NO STAFF contact AT ALL - so it's a mess.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Maybe its because the computer at my school where I use the Internet is pretty fast, but I haven't had much problems with the new format. It takes slightly more time, but it still apparently has all the information that it did before.

Tom_mkfty

Stunt Coordinator
When I go to www.tv.com and go to a particular series,
every second link to and episode is directly over another link.

I have seen that in other websites too.
Sometimes a worded link is over another link.
Why does that happen sometimes?
Is there a term or word for that?
Is it because a website is too cluttered and messy?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I loved TVTome also. I don't mind the extra junk on TV.com its just that 3 out of 4 times when I search for a show the site just locks up and crashes and then usually will not work the rest of that day. So that does make it kind of useless.

Nick=Ma

Stunt Coordinator
I use epguides.com because most of the time I just want a list of all the episodes of a certain show. Epguides does that without 5 advertisements on the page.

Rob Dwyer

Stunt Coordinator
Bah, TV.com is easily one of the worst websites on the net. Not only did they take tvtome.com and turn it into an ad-laden, jumbled mess that's almost impossible to navigate because of poor authoring (the double links mentioned earlier), they threw out at least 90% of the information that was on tvtome's episode guides. Yeah, they link to a small bit of "trivia," but most of the information that was listed after an episode in tvtome.com is just gone. What little is left now takes an extra several clicks to get to, making you load and watch lots and lots of extra advertising.

Personally, I just use http://www.archive.org now, they've got tvtome from right before the switch archived there... it can be a little hard to navigate, because if it links at all over to the actual "tvtome.com" domain, you're dumped immediately out to the main page of TV.com but once you get used to navigating it, its still there in its old form.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Count me as another one who misses the ease of the old tvtome.
I do like epguides, but wish tv.com would revamp to the older, better format.

-Rodney

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
sometimes fan sites are the most reliable thing.
I just google search for fan sites, like ones I really need to know the "exact" way to watch a tv series like Sliders and Saved by the Bell.

Since all the seasons seem to be mixed

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I appreciate the link to the 50's, 60's and 70's shows - I found stuff I completely forgot about.

What I'd really like are tv schedules from the same periods. Anyone know a site that does this? (I am reminded of Jerry Stiller, whose character (George's father) on Seinfeld collected TV Guides).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks