-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Looking fot another episode guide website.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 Tom_mkfty

Tom_mkfty

Stunt Coordinator

• 219 posts

Posted September 07 2005 - 03:15 PM

www.tv.com is useless.

That website was not built right.

Having a good episode guide website helps me deside whether or not to buy a particular TV DVD set.

#2 of 22 MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,475 posts

Posted September 07 2005 - 03:21 PM

Quote:
www.tv.com is useless.

I agree. I used to consult it often when it was known as tvtome.com. I don't even bother anymore.

#3 of 22 Tom_mkfty

Tom_mkfty

Stunt Coordinator

• 219 posts

Posted September 07 2005 - 03:36 PM

But have you found alternatives?

#4 of 22 MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,475 posts

Posted September 07 2005 - 04:19 PM

Tom, Sorry, I meant to post this link you might want to try:

http://epguides.com

#5 of 22 Joel C

Joel C

Screenwriter

• 1,635 posts

Posted September 07 2005 - 04:56 PM

Man, I knew I wasn't crazy. TVtome.com was simple and very easy to use. TV.com clutters it up with tons of additional clicking and is slow as hell. I hated that build when it was just gamespot.com, a site I rarely used. I was very annoyed when I saw it change.
Joel
woemcats@hotmail.com
"Why I laugh?"

#6 of 22 Wendy_L

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted September 08 2005 - 03:43 AM

I use TV.com but I definitely preferred TVTome.com. I'll have to check out that other site as well.

~ Later ~

Ok... just checked it out and all their episode summaries are linked to TV.com. So, it sort of defeats the purpose.
Who needs a life when you have TV?
My Current Top 10: Grey's Anatomy, Gilmore Girls, Medium, Veronica Mars, Bones, How I Met Your Mother, Lost, Heroes, Desperate Housewives, Entourage, Survivor
Top 3 All-Time Favorites: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Friends
I Still Miss: Tru Calling, Once &...

#7 of 22 Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted September 08 2005 - 04:05 AM

If you are looking for older shows . . . 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s . . . I suggest you consider the Classic TV Archive.

http://www.geocities...ity/Stage/2950/

#8 of 22 StacyV

StacyV

Second Unit

• 282 posts

Posted September 08 2005 - 04:13 AM

Quote:
Ok... just checked it out and all their episode summaries are linked to TV.com. So, it sort of defeats the purpose.

That's right. The summaries on epguides.com were linked to that site when it was tvtome, so it's not really an alternative site.

If it's a specific show, searching for a site dedicated to that show might help. For example, fameforever.com had a pretty decent episode guide for the series Fame, with song listings and such. UltimateDallas.com was a site I consulted when considering the recent Dallas season 3 release, though with spelling errors and some less than thorough descriptions, their episode guide isn't perfect. But show-specific sites like those may be one way to help you out.

#9 of 22 David Rain

David Rain

Screenwriter

• 1,092 posts

Posted September 08 2005 - 09:42 AM

Sometimes you can check fan sites dedicated to a particular show. I got a Burns & Allen episode guide through a Yahoo group fan club. A real lifesaver.
Still Turning the Beat Around at Our Cool New Pad

Retro Remixes

#10 of 22 Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted September 08 2005 - 10:33 AM

I feel the same about tv.com. When it first showed up I wanted to email them and complain, but I couldn't find any link. I'd love to tell them what they can do with their new format.

Glenn

#11 of 22 Guido

Guido

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted September 09 2005 - 06:21 AM

They have NO way to contact them, that's the problem - NO STAFF contact AT ALL - so it's a mess.

#12 of 22 Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor

• 537 posts

Posted September 09 2005 - 06:47 AM

Maybe its because the computer at my school where I use the Internet is pretty fast, but I haven't had much problems with the new format. It takes slightly more time, but it still apparently has all the information that it did before.

#13 of 22 Tom_mkfty

Tom_mkfty

Stunt Coordinator

• 219 posts

Posted September 10 2005 - 03:59 AM

When I go to www.tv.com, and go to a particular series,
every second link to and episode is directly over another link.

I have seen that in other websites too.
Sometimes a worded link is over another link.
Why does that happen sometimes?
Is there a term or word for that?
Is it because a website is too cluttered and messy?

#14 of 22 Emma-A

Emma-A

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted September 10 2005 - 06:19 AM

I love epguides.com!! There you can find almost every tv-show.

#15 of 22 Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,320 posts

Posted September 10 2005 - 09:03 AM

I loved TVTome also. I don't mind the extra junk on TV.com its just that 3 out of 4 times when I search for a show the site just locks up and crashes and then usually will not work the rest of that day. So that does make it kind of useless.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#16 of 22 Nick=Ma

Nick=Ma

Stunt Coordinator

• 68 posts

Posted September 10 2005 - 10:37 AM

I use epguides.com because most of the time I just want a list of all the episodes of a certain show. Epguides does that without 5 advertisements on the page.

#17 of 22 Rob Dwyer

Rob Dwyer

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted September 11 2005 - 08:57 AM

Bah, TV.com is easily one of the worst websites on the net. Not only did they take tvtome.com and turn it into an ad-laden, jumbled mess that's almost impossible to navigate because of poor authoring (the double links mentioned earlier), they threw out at least 90% of the information that was on tvtome's episode guides. Yeah, they link to a small bit of "trivia," but most of the information that was listed after an episode in tvtome.com is just gone. What little is left now takes an extra several clicks to get to, making you load and watch lots and lots of extra advertising.

Personally, I just use http://www.archive.org now, they've got tvtome from right before the switch archived there... it can be a little hard to navigate, because if it links at all over to the actual "tvtome.com" domain, you're dumped immediately out to the main page of TV.com, but once you get used to navigating it, its still there in its old form.

#18 of 22 Rodney

Rodney

Supporting Actor

• 520 posts

Posted September 11 2005 - 09:22 AM

Count me as another one who misses the ease of the old tvtome.
I do like epguides, but wish tv.com would revamp to the older, better format.

-Rodney
-Rodney

#19 of 22 JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,440 posts

Posted September 11 2005 - 09:22 AM

sometimes fan sites are the most reliable thing.
I just google search for fan sites, like ones I really need to know the "exact" way to watch a tv series like Sliders and Saved by the Bell.

Since all the seasons seem to be mixed

all-banner.jpg

#20 of 22 alan halvorson

alan halvorson

Screenwriter

• 2,021 posts

Posted September 11 2005 - 09:38 AM

I appreciate the link to the 50's, 60's and 70's shows - I found stuff I completely forgot about.

What I'd really like are tv schedules from the same periods. Anyone know a site that does this? (I am reminded of Jerry Stiller, whose character (George's father) on Seinfeld collected TV Guides).
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

Forum Nav Content I Follow