What's new

Super Low-Budget TV Advice? (1 Viewer)

Nick White

Stunt Coordinator
Tried to do a search for this kind of thread, but it is a bit difficult to sift through.

I'm looking to buy a budget TV set that's at least 25" - preferably flat-screen, but tubes are OK - for anywhere from $200 to as much as $400. Other concerns are pretty marginal - just a decent picture.

Any suggestions for brand/model?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Things to look for:

1. At least three video inputs (Video 1, Video 2, Video 3) selectable on the remote. Hint: find at least three sets of red/white Audio Input jacks in back.

2. A real 16:9 mode if the picture is normally 4:3. You would need to bring a 16:9 enhanced (anamorphic) DVD and try out the TV using a DVD player that is set to 16:9.

3. Changes channels quickly when you push the number buttons on the remote.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure #2 feature will be in the price range of 400.00. If you are using this for a bedroom or a den that is not the main viewing area, then go with one of the less expensive models. I'll post some suggestions in a few.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Well hush my mouth, feature 2 in Allan's post is affordable.
Check out the list below. Insignia I've never heard of but looks promising for a few dollars more with HDTV capability.

Toshiba

Sony

Insignia

Nick White

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input.

Should I be wary of a company like Insignia? Never heard of them - but I've seen the models in-store and at least they don't have buttons falling off of them.

Considering going with the non-HDTV, 4:3 Insignia model for about half the price - my budget may be less than I anticipated at first (trying times).

Any input appreciated.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Insignia is a Best Buy exclusive, what used to be known as a "house brand". They aren't sold anywhere else, similar to how Sears tvs were all branded "Silvertone" back in the 60s.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Also,

4. Stay away from any TV that does not offer all aspect ratio choices including when receiving a progressive scan video source (if it accepts progressive scan or HDTV).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks