What's new

Your movie/tv show opposites. Where u go against the masses? (1 Viewer)

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
This thread is devoted to TV show/Movie. Basically, it's a thread for things which that you believe go against the majority of fan views, people in general, etc. Things you may even be a little embarrased to admit.

Here I go.

The Ring: I thought is was sleep inducing and I saw it before on opening weekend before it was a hit or noticed.

I Love Lucy: I enjoyed the trip to Paris (especially the episodes of planning the trip) more than I liked the California trip. Though I like both.

I Love Lucy: Season 1 is very shaky to me even though it has several of the most famous episodes. I prefer later seasons (2-above) much more. The most famous episodes are nowhere near my favorites.

I think Nightmare on Elm Street 2 has held up better than Elm Street 3 if viewed out of the series. Though if this was 10-15 years ago, I would have said I hated 2 and loved 3. Not anymore. Somewhere along the line I ended up thinking 2 wasn't so bad. Now 2 is ok and 3 seems dated to me and not very enjoyable anymore. The character of Nancy who I love in Part 1 is a distraction in Part 3 and gives a really bad performance in Part 3. What happened? They turned her into a complete stiff for that movie.

Freddy vs Jason was just as bad as the later sequels of both series if not worse.

I like Halloween 4 better than Halloween 2.

I like Die Hard 3 the most in the trilogy. I did see 3 first, so that could be it.

I thought Angel was better than Buffy. Though what they did to the Cordelia character in S4 was unforgivable. I liked the darker tone of the show.

I dislike Citizen Kane. While I can appreciate it's artistic merits, the movie was an exercise in strength to make it through it was so boring.

Nip Tuck as a show is better than the vast majority of movies out there nowadays.

Vegas Vacation grew on me.

I love License to Drive with the Corey's and think it is one of the best 80's teen comedies next to Sixteen Candles.

I don't like The Breakfast Club.

I didn't think Psycho 2 or 3 were that bad. Part 2 was ok as a movie itself and Part 3 was fun as a campy dark comedy for the Bates performance.

Killer Party was a better movie than Hell Night.

Scream 2 was almost as good as Scream 1 (back in 97 when I saw it). Scream 3 sucks altogether.

GeorgePaul

Second Unit
I wish more movies like Krull were made.

The 'genius' of Stanley Kubrick was often nothing more than static takes of worn-out actors engaging in conversations that aren't very realistic--you can't imagine these characters having such emotionless, vague byplays in real life.

The Sixth Sense will be M. Night Shyamalan's one good film.

"The Fugitive": the original series is the most high-quality, unnoticed drama in TV history. It featured consistently superior writing and direction yet never garnered the headlines most of its fellow five-star series got at various times throughout their run. "Fuge" saved all its pub for last--and the results actually MEANT something in the course of the series (unlike "Who Shot J.R.?" and other higher-rated series sweeps stunts).

"Becker" should still be a first-run show.

By the end of most of our lifetimes, The Empire Strikes Back will be recognized as one of the greatest American films ever made.

Greatest TV movie nobody's ever heard of, but which still deserves a DVD release: 1980's "The Ordeal of Dr. Mudd," the true story of Samuel Mudd (Dennis Weaver) and how he was sent to jail for setting John Wilkes' Booth's leg the night after Lincoln was assassinated. Emotional, ultimately cinematically inspirational stuff.

The "freeze frame" is the worst editing choice for the end of a major motion picture (see Capricorn One for reference).

All Robocop movies are exploitative dreck. "Satire" is no excuse for the extreme levels of violence and human idiocy prevalent in Paul Verhoeven films like this one.

Ordinary People is a superior film to Raging Bull and absolutely deserved its Best Picture Oscar.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I didn't like "The Sixth Sense", thought it was contrived and only decent on the first viewing. I do however like all of Shyamalan's other films, including "The Village".

I think that "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2" is one of the most underated films ever made.

I think that "Big Brother : Season 1" was the absolute height of all reality TV, and no longer watch any reality TV contest shows but "The Contender", and that's only because I like to watch boxing.

The only Meryl Streep movie that I like is "Adaptation". I think she is overated as an actress, basically stunt acting with accents.

I can't think of one single, truly great movie directed by Steven Spielberg.

I thought that "Million Dollar Baby" was manipulative crap.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I think IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE is a bore.

I like Carpenter's THE THING better than Howard Hawks'.

WES CRAVEN'S NEW NIGHTMARE was lousy.

FREDDY VS. JASON is a fine team-up film, worthy of the old classic, FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLF MAN.

I'd rather watch GODZILLA VS MEGALON than GONE WITH THE WIND.

RAGING BULL and MILLION DOLLAR BABY can't hold a boxing glove to ROCKY.

I like THE WALTONS. Hate MARRIED WITH CHILDREN.

Meryl Streep is the best actress of modern times.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Temple of Doom is easily the best in the Trilogy

I'd sooner watch a movie with Elisabeth Shue, Phoebe Cates, Parker Posey, or Lea Thompson than a Jessica Simpson, Cameron Diaz, or Julia Roberts

I hate Julia Roberts. She ruined Confessions of a Dangerous Mind!! Ruined, I say! :)

Anne Hathaway is going to be big, she's awesome.

I love Hook, Johnny Dangerously, and High School High and I am not afraid to say it!

FX is easily becoming the best channel on cable

Tom Cruise is very very overrated and his constant typecast as a macho superhunk is making me wretch

I am a big Ben Stiller fan, and his 8 movies a year in 2004 is fine with me

I think Paul Reubans got a raw deal and he could be something huge

I liked Pearl Harbor's director's cut more than the original

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
I cried at the end of "Armageddon".

I think "Gone with the Wind" and "The Wizard of Oz" are highly overrated.

While I love both films, I'm glad "Forrest Gump" won Best Picture over "Pulp Fiction" (but think "Shawshank Redemption" should've won over all of them).

I think Ewan McGregor is a mega superstar. The world just doesn't know it yet.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The Simpsons needs to end NOW! Not soon, but N-O-W. The only reason I still watch it is out of habit.

Seinfeld is overrated. I like shows that are about something.

Friends should be banned forever.

Will and Grace is awful.

Everyone involved with American Dad should be in prison by now.

I thought The Nanny was hilarious.

Spike Lee is a hack.

I think it's time to abolish the Oscars.

The early 1970s was a dark age for motion pictures and its pernicious effect is still being felt today.

I literally cannot stand "Mary Poppins". Of all of Walt Disney's films, this is the most obscenely overpraised he or his studio have ever made as far as I am concerned, and all the praise heaped upon it makes me physically ill. I like a lot of the fantasy musicals of the 1960s and 1970s, but NOT this one.

Film critics are the bane of the motion picture industry.

I think Anime is highly overrated.

Woody Allen should have retired 30 years ago.

"Madagascar" was boring and unfunny.

I thoroughly enjoyed "Hello, Dolly!"

"Chicago" was all right, but not as good as its reputation. Too much MTV, not enouh MGM for my tastes.

Quentin Tarantino is no prize pig as a director.

I think most CGI films, other than Pixar's, are awful.

I wish Michael Eisner had never been head of Disney. The studio's upswing in the late 80s was IN SPITE OF him, not because of him. After Wells died and Katzenberg left, his true nature was revealed. Talk about destroying the village in order to save it.

I believe that trying to be "relevant" dates films and TV shows badly.

I consider "Amadeus" a total slap in the face to Mozart.

I consider "creative freedom" more than just the opportunity to add gratuitous sex, violence, and profanity.

There are parts of the independent film movement which seem to be based in the idea that making a film outside of Hollywood automatically makes it good.

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit

You too??!?! I got a little choked when I saw it for the first time - when Harry took AJ's place to detonate the bomb.

I love Michael Bay.

I love Jerry Bruckheimer.

I don't have cable (by choice).

After "The Hours", I wanted my hours back.

I don't like "Star Wars." I think if it was released today, even with today's FX, I would still be a silly movie. Furthermore, I don't understand 40yr olds dressing up like Solo to wait in line for Episode III.

I quite enjoyed "Alexander." I thought Farrell's flaming locks were hilarious when I first saw the trailer. When I watched the dir's cut, it didn't bother me at all.

I'm not a fan of Tarantino at all. Nothing that he has directed, produced, indirectly influenced appeals to me.

I think this thread is far more entertaining than listening to snooty people who think Hollywood doesn't amount to anything more than popcorn, gloss, and explosions.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
All Lord of the Rings movies are over-CGI'ed, lifeless oversized costume dramas. They get progressively worse. Return of the King has about 5 too many endings. ANY director could have made the films, and many could have done so better. As a result, just like the films, Jackson is overrated.

The Fifth Element is also way overrated. It has some ok visuals occasionally, and some overpoweringly 'offensive to the senses' ones later on. I want to turn the TV off when Chris Tucker appears.

I do not like Chinatown, no matter how many times I watch it and give it a chance. It just does not settle or click with me. I think it's one of the most overrated films of all time.

Last Tango in Paris is also nearly as overrated. I fail to see the artistry in such a highly praised film. It nearly bores me to tears.

I greatly enjoyed Twister.

Conan the Barbarian is one of the most underrated films of all time.

I love Rambo I and II, but the third one stinks.

The two Andersons, Wes and Paul Thomas, are making progressively worse movies. They both are beginning to drown in their own pretentiousness and their movies are showing it and suffering as a result.

Why are people so excited about the King Kong remake? Any other time a remake is announced, it is met with extreme hostility. I guess since people are idolizing Jackson because of his 'achievement' nowadays, they make an exception. The hypocrisy sickens me.

Alot of older anime is miles better than most Hollywood crap that is spewed out.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
More TV than movie off the top of my head:

I despise Seinfield.

Why is Friends considered remotely interesting?

I hated All in the Family, Sanford and Son, Good Times, Maude, and Golden Girls. I'm sure there's a pattern there somewhere.

Honeymooners is beyond irritating.

I loved the original Fantasia

Fantasia 2000 on IMAX was the Best couple hours I've spent in ages.

I liked Independence Day.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I've got more...

I have no desire to subscribe to HBO.

I never saw the big deal about "Star Wars"

I would rather eat poop than see anything with Ashton Kutcher in it

I haven't gotten into any Best Picture winner since "Forrest Gump".

I stopped buying DVDs of foreign films sight unseen because I only did it to impress people. It didn't work.

The counterculture "classics" of the late 1960s are all self-indulgent crap. Just like the counterculture itself.

It's not that they don't make movies like they used to, more like they WON'T make them that way.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

I'll almost agree with that one! I wouldn't call it "easily" but it is my favorite and I think it's the best action directing Spielberg has ever done.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
I like Halloween 3 more than Halloween.

The French Connection and Rear Window bored me silly.

Scarface is better than Pulp Fiction.

Up the Creek is funnier than Caddyshack.

I hate Porky's, Ferris Bueller's Day Off and American Pie.

Robert Shaw's rambling, incoherent monologues dragged down the middle of Jaws.

Marlon Brando was overrated in The Godfather.

I like Independence Day, Armageddon, Speed 2, The Rock, Con Air, and Gone in 60 Seconds.

Ben Affleck isn't the worst actor in the world.

Al Pacino is a better actor than Robert DeNiro.

I never liked Seinfeld, Frasier, or Friends.

I've never seen The Sopranos, Sex and the City, Six Feet Under, Arrested Development, Gilmore Girls, Buffy, or any CSI and have no desire to see them.

The first season of All in the Family isn't that good and the ninth season isn't that bad.

Still Standing is hilarious.

Leave it to Beaver is unwatchable.

Only about half the episodes of I Love Lucy are truly funny.

The first season of NYPD Blue is overrated.

The first three seasons of Third Watch are underrated.

Arthur is funnier than The Simpsons.

More later...

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Oh yeah, I forgot some.

I despite Adam Sandler and his movies, all of them, are terribly unfunny.

The only SNL spinoff film I have liked was Wayne's World. The rest of them have been garbage, especially any with Rob Schneider, David Spade, or Chris Farley.

Nathan Phillips

Stunt Coordinator
WONDERFUL thread and I enjoyed all of the replies immensely. Let's see if I can start a riot...

I don't like Martin Scorsese and I hated "Raging Bull."

Woody Allen is the best director alive today.

I liked "The Terminal" better than "Raiders of the Lost Ark" (though not by much).

With few exceptions, I don't find Spielberg manipulative. Kubrick is my second favorite director (behind Hitchcock), and I think he's just as "manipulative" as Spielberg. However, I have never liked "E.T." because it is the exception.

I hate "Star Wars" and all sequels/prequels.

"Barry Lyndon" is Kubrick's best film, "A Clockwork Orange" is one of his worst.

"Under Capricorn" and "Topaz" are absolutely brilliant films.

I don't understand the post-AFI backlash against "Citizen Kane." (I'm not insulting those who dislike it or were disappointed, I'm just saying, I don't get it. I didn't see "Kane" until last year and I ADORED it and found it unbelievably exciting.)

"Toy Story," while great, is a good deal weaker than any other Pixar film made to date.

I can't stand anime, including Miyazaki. I also hate Adult Swim.

"The Village" is one of the best movies of 2004 and M. Night Shyamalan's best to date. "The Village" and "Unbreakable" are both superior to "The Sixth Sense," which is also excellent.

Warren Beatty's directing Oscar for "Reds" is the single best reason to ignore the Oscars.

"The Exorcist" is insulting garbage.

"My Mother the Car" was a very funny and well-written show.

I have yet to be at all touched by any telling of the story of "Peter Pan."

"The Simpsons" not only should stop now, it should have stopped in 1996.

Joss Whedon is a truly awful writer.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Puts on flameproof suit:

Lawrence of Arabia is a snorefest

Marlon Brando overacts horribly in Streetcar Named Desire

The Coen Brothers make unfunny movies

So does Wes Anderson

So does Kevin Smith

Ronald Reagan was a much better actor during the 80s, than during his film career

The core audience for Titanic are pre-teen and teenage girls

The Odd Couple tv show was OK, but pales compared to either of the films

Edited tv shows are unacceptable, even if it is only a few seconds

Ginger schminger - Mary Ann all the way

DeNiro is a great actor, but of all his collaborations with Scoresese, only Goodfellas is actually a better movie than some of his later comedies

Andy Griffith is still worth watching even in the color seasons

The Gold Rush is the greatest silent film ever made

Silent dramas are all overrated

Do the Right Thing is a racist piece of trash

So is Birth of a Nation

So is The Searchers

John Wayne was not a good actor

With the exception of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, John Wayne's westerns are all overated.

With the additional exceptions of Hatari and Donovan's Reefs, all the rest of his films are overrated

Despite his gung ho image, John Wayne wasn't nearly as tough as his fellow actors like Jimmy Stewart, Eddie Albert, Mel Brooks, Art Carney, Tony Curtis, Kirk Douglas, Henry Fonda, Glenn Ford, Don Knotts, Lee Marvin, Tryone Power, Don Rickles and many others who actually fought in WW2, instead of just making movies about it.

You want me to go on, Joe? :)

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
I've never seen an episode of Star Trek (any of the series'), X-Files or Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I think "A.I." will be considered a classic 20 years from now.

2005 "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" is better in every way than 1971 "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory".

Hearing that Justin Timberlake is acting opposite Morgan Freeman and Kevin Spacey makes me want to vomit.

"Back to the Future" just might be the most perfect film ever made. I dream of a "Back to the Future: Part IV" with Christopher Lloyd, Michael J. Fox and Robert Zemeckis returning.

TV is the annoying, dim-witted little brother that somehow always gets more attention than the smarter, better looking older brother Film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation192
Recent bookmarks