What's new

Man I work for a great company (1 Viewer)

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
I just want to give props to my company for the help they give. The following is an email sent earlier. This is in addition to the 250k worth of hygiene products sent earlier this week.

Update on Hurricane Katrina Relief Efforts

I know I speak for all of us in expressing my deep personal anguish over the scenes of death, destruction and despair in New Orleans and the other Gulf Coast communities in the United States ravaged by Hurricane Katrina.

The hurricane that struck the Gulf Coast on Aug. 29 has left hundreds of thousands of people homeless and tens of thousands in need of urgent humanitarian aid. The images of helpless mothers and children; the frail elderly and the incapacitated are heart wrenching. The news from this morning is particularly grim, as law enforcement and disaster relief agencies continue to work non-stop under extremely difficult conditions to try to alleviate the suffering of so many people in the region.

The immediate needs remain enormous and varied. Initially, Johnson & Johnson responded to calls for what was needed most -- personal care and hygiene products and traditional disaster relief supplies including pain treatments and wound care products.

Today, after consultation with the relief agencies, Johnson & Johnson is providing an initial cash donation of $5 million that will be used for both the immediate and long-term needs of the many families and communities devastated by this event. This donation is being divided between multiple relief and charitable organizations. A list of these organizations, and a brief synopsis of what they plan to provide is included below.

I'm proud to say that people throughout our family of companies have risen to the challenge, and are contributing to the American Red Cross. As you know, the Company is matching your donations.

I know that many of you would also like to know how you can personally help with this national emergency. To that end, we are working closely with the American Red Cross to identify opportunities for employees in the United States to volunteer their time, energy and talents. We hope to have more information about volunteerism opportunities in the near future.

Although many of our efforts to this point are focused on addressing urgent needs, Johnson & Johnson will remain committed to supporting stabilization and the long-term rebuilding efforts throughout the affected area. In the coming days and weeks we will continue to work with the many relief agencies to better understand the additional ways the Company can aid the relief effort.

The thoughts and prayers of everyone in the Johnson & Johnson family of companies are with the victims, survivors and loved ones of those affected by this disaster.

Bill Weldon

Chairman and Chief Executive Officer

Organizations Providing Immediate Relief

American Red Cross
Providing food, shelter and emergency assistance to affected families; coordinating rescue efforts

National Assoc. of Community Health Centers

Significant strain on resources is predicted

America's Second Harvest

Supports food bank programs in the region

Habitat for Humanity

Repair damage to existing Habitat homes and embark on rebuilding projects based on patterns of home destruction

MAP International

Supplying health and hygiene products

AmeriCares

Supplying health and hygiene products

Rosalynn Carter Institute

Serving care giving organizations in the region

Salvatorian Mission Warehouse

Assembly and distribution of personal care kits

Organizations Providing Intermediate to Long-term Assistance

National Head Start Assoc
Financial support to affected facilities as they resume operations

Natl. School Nurse Assn.

Support for the nurses role in psycho-social support

Historic Preservation Trusts of Mississippi and Louisana

Restoration & rehabilitation of historic sites

Trust for Public Land

Environmental damage assessment and remediation

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
That's excellent. I wish the company I work for was that generous. They are collecting money to donate but they are not matching any funds. :thumbsdown: Not that I expected them to; this is a company that didn't let the employees go home early last thursday when Katrina was about to hit South Fl.

Here is the email we received today:

Sunday, August 28, 2005 is a day that will forever remain in our hearts. It’s the day Hurricane Katrina changed the lives of so many along the Gulf Coast of Mississippi, Louisiana and Alabama. The devastating pictures, and heart wrenching stories are a clear reminder that except for a few hours and miles, we could be experiencing the pain and anguish that those along the stricken Gulf Coast are suffering now. With this thought in mind, those of us living with the horrific memory of Hurricane Andrew, are making a heartfelt plea to return the kind gestures shown to us in the wake of Hurricane Andrew.

The Employee Activities Committee will be accepting monetary donations to assist those victims of Katrina so desperately in need of so much. Contributions will be made to the American Red Cross on behalf of the employees. Any amount will be gladly accepted.

All donations are tax deductible. Receipts will be provided.

Thanking you in advance!

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
The great thing about J&J doing this is that a lot more help can be given, compared to consumers buying the same products at retail to donate them.

What is J&J's presence in St. Augustine? That seems like an odd place for them to be located.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt

You may think I'm joking, but I am dead serious. When I went in to work that day, there was no word yet on when employees would be allowed to go home; I told my supervisor that I was leaving at 12pm regardless. Shortly after I left,an announcement was made that employees who live in Broward county were allowed to leave at 1pm (I live in Broward) and all employees that live in Dade county were told they had to stay until the end of their shift, which for most was 5pm,but for some others it's 6pm and 8:30pm. One employee, who works until 6pm, takes the Metro-rail and missed the last one, because they stopped running early and spent the night at a Metro-rail station. No Joke!!!

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
No, I meant that as "Mmkay, what were they thinking?" I should've just said that instead. :)

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt

Oh ok. :D On the Internet sometimes its easy to misinterpret things.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I used to work for J&J. Great company when it comes to community outreach.

My current employer has donated 1 Million and will match any employee donation dollar for dollar. It is great seeing people and companies coming forward to help make a difference during people's times of need.

J

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt

Well, I'd rather not mention the company's name, but I'll just say that it's a company that gets federal funding to run several communty health centers in Dade County.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
My company is doing matching contributions up to $5000. My $50 to Red Cross turned into $100.

On Friday we joined a task force with other telecommunications providers (and one big company out of Redmond, WA) to meet the communications needs of 350 American Red Cross shelters across the stricken area.

We've had individual volunteers drive down to Louisana and work towards the placement of displaced animals--these animals will be destroyed if shelters are not found.

We also got a truck together for a local "garage sale" being held at one of the local hotels. Basically, the hurricane victims who were staying there were receiving garage sale items as contributions and selling them to generate money.

- Steve

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
Another point to remember is while it is generous for companies to match donations it is even better when they let you decide where you want your doantion to go. For instance, the local food shelf in town here can purchase 9 times the grocery compared to what you can purchase with the same funds. :emoji_thumbsup:

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
My company is doing 2 for 1 match, but I don't know as to the maximum.

I heard a report on NPR this morning on how companies are dealing with paying employees who lost their jobs. One of the caisno companies are paying their employees for up to 90 days. The worse was a certain big store chain that will pay for up to three days but is giving in other ways.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter

Since my wife and I work for the same company we both had wondered what our company would do in this situation. Being professionals I would think they would transfer us to another company at least temporarily.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks