Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Is windshield repair all that it's cracked up to be?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted September 02 2005 - 01:58 AM

Okay, bad puns aside, I found a nasty little impact crack in my windshield this morning, looks like one of the neighborhood's little monsters threw a stone at it. It's about the size of a nickel.

Do I really need to get this repaired? What exactly does that entail, how can you "fix" broken glass without replacing the windshield? Is it dangerous to leave it as it is? It is not broken through to the interior of the car. How much would a repair cost?
"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Philip_T

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

• 876 posts

Posted September 02 2005 - 02:37 AM

Not sure about your insurance company, but my insurance company repairs cracks for free. I would recommend having it done. I believe they drill into the crack and then fill it with some kind of bonding agent. It will clear up the pit mark a little bit, and more importantly, prevent the crack from expanding. I've had to have the procedure done quite a few times myself.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,346 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted September 02 2005 - 02:40 AM

State Farm replaced my windshield and waived my deductible, although I think I read that they are starting to abandon the deductible waiver in some states.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted September 02 2005 - 04:27 AM

Quote:
I believe they drill into the crack and then fill it with some kind of bonding agent. It will clear up the pit mark a little bit, and more importantly, prevent the crack from expanding. I've had to have the procedure done quite a few times myself.
This is exactly how it is done. My Step-Father did this. It's normally pretty cheap and trivial to fix.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted September 02 2005 - 04:43 AM

Yes...you should get it repaired before it spreads. Act quickly because there is a size limit beyond which they won't attempt this kind of repair.

I've had a couple done like this. You might notice a visible change but preventing the crack from spreading is really paramount, which is why many insurance companies will pop for it. Even if yours doesn't, it should run less than $50.

It's been a couple of years now and the ones in the windshield of our Explorer are still in good shape.
I'm a ****ing idiot 'cause I can't make a lamp?
No, you're a genius 'cause you can't make a lamp.
What do you know about trigonometry?
I could care less about trigonometry.
Did you know without trigonometry there would be no engineering? Without lamps there'd be no light.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Mort Corey

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts

Posted September 02 2005 - 06:13 AM

If it's anywhere in the line of vision, a reputable repair company won't touch it (nor will insurance reimburse you if they do at all)

Mort

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted September 02 2005 - 06:52 AM

Thanks for all the replies! I have Geico. It's on the passenger side. Tonight I get to call my neighbor and complain about his kids. Sure, I didn't catch them doing it, but it "magically" happened overnight and I have seen them throwing rocks at each other in the past. Last year I had a basement window mysteriously broken and none of them claimed to know how it happened. I guess I could file a police report but I don't think that's going to solve my problem.
"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink