Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

All-natural products

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
59 replies to this topic

#1 of 60 SarahG

SarahG

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted September 01 2005 - 04:23 AM

What do you all know about all-natural products? I'm thinking about going to more of these types of products for skin care, toothpast, etc. Just for a change really. Does anybody use these products? Stuff like Burt's Bees or any other products on the market?
Fish are Friends, not Food!

#2 of 60 Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,629 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted September 01 2005 - 04:57 AM

I've tried an all natural toothpaste, I think it was called Tom's or so, but it's really strong and doesn't have any sugar or that much things added for taste like the regular major brands so it comes out strong. It also I think has baking soda in it. Might want to buy a small sample of it to see if it's agreeable. As I've only tried it once, I have no idea how effective it is, but if it's got flouride as an active ingrediant, it can't be too different, I figure much of the differences in the brands of toothpastes is flavor, breathmint stuff and marketing.

Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#3 of 60 SarahG

SarahG

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted September 01 2005 - 06:10 AM

I've seen Tom's in the stores I think. Never tried it though. I may test some out just to see how I like some of them. I know Burt's Bees offers little variety bags that included about 10 different products. I can pick one of those up for fairly cheap and see how I like it.

#4 of 60 Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter

• 1,210 posts

Posted September 01 2005 - 06:14 AM

We use natural products for my 15 month old daughter. Mostly Burts Bees stuff like soap, lotions, shampoo, conditioner and others. We also use a non-fluoride toothpaste for her as well. We like the results and feel good about our decision.
"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." Muhammed Ali, (Cassius Clay)

#5 of 60 Mort Corey

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts

Posted September 01 2005 - 07:17 AM

Read the labels too...."all natural" came mean most anything. I occasionally drink a nice glass of single malt scotch because it's all natural. Posted Image

Mort

#6 of 60 SarahG

SarahG

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted September 01 2005 - 08:21 AM

Quote:
We use natural products for my 15 month old daughter. Mostly Burts Bees stuff like soap, lotions, shampoo, conditioner and others. We also use a non-fluoride toothpaste for her as well. We like the results and feel good about our decision.

I'm going to try that variety bag that includes all this stuff and see how I like it. The only product I've really tried of theirs is the lip balm, which I liked.

Which products does your daughter like the most?

#7 of 60 Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter

• 1,210 posts

Posted September 01 2005 - 08:53 AM

Oh yeah, we also have the lip balm...it's awesome! My daughter's only 15 months old (see edit) so she doesn't have much of an opinion...yet! Posted Image
"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." Muhammed Ali, (Cassius Clay)

#8 of 60 Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted September 01 2005 - 09:13 AM

"All natural" is a non-regulated marketing term, READ THE LABEL!
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#9 of 60 Seth_L

Seth_L

Screenwriter

• 1,553 posts

Posted September 01 2005 - 12:47 PM

Yeah! No flouride for the kids. We gotta keep the dentists in business!

#10 of 60 Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted September 01 2005 - 05:39 PM

In many places they put flouride in the water, so people get way more than they need.

I didn't know toothpaste had sugar in it. That seems counterproductive.

#11 of 60 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,204 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted September 01 2005 - 05:53 PM

What is an "unnatural" product? All things are made of "natural" atoms. Maybe it's like the non-organic food I eat, which has no carbon...

Harumph! Lousy marketing terms. Posted Image

#12 of 60 Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter

• 1,210 posts

Posted September 01 2005 - 06:18 PM

Quote:
Yeah! No flouride for the kids. We gotta keep the dentists in business!

Do some research in the scientific journals and then we can talk.

#13 of 60 Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted September 02 2005 - 02:58 AM

There's great commentary in the book "Fast Food Nation" (recommended reading for all Americans - along with "Suburban Nation") about "Natural" products.
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#14 of 60 Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,301 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 02 2005 - 03:11 AM

The following are "all natural"

Snake Venom
Uranium
Arsenic
Bubonic Plague

"All natural" is one of the greatest scams going. Along with the "man-made chemical" scam. (Hint: Except for some transuranic elements created briefly in laboratories, there are no "man made chemicals".)

As for dangerous effects - any forensic chemist will tell you, "The dose makes the poison." Anything is poisonous in high enough concentrations, and many things will induce cancer in genetically pure lab rats if you make them eat three times their own body weight of the stuff twice a week. The same materiral in trace amounts in foods humans eat once a month won't do anyone any harm.

But, hey, if it makes you feel better to spend four times as much for an "all natural" product that may contain natural poisons that "processed foods" are processed precisely to remove, knock yourself out.

Regards,

Joe

#15 of 60 Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,529 posts

Posted September 02 2005 - 03:21 AM

Quote:
In many places they put flouride in the water, so people get way more than they need.

You know when fluoridation first began? Nineteen hundred and forty-six. Nineteen forty-six, Mandrake. How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works.
- General Jack D. Ripper

#16 of 60 Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel

Second Unit

• 471 posts

Posted September 02 2005 - 03:39 AM

Wow ... this is my biz ... really!

Before a recent change, my title was Personal Care Marketing Manager for an major ingredient supplier to the industry. Our biggest sectors are toothpaste, hair care and body wash. Companies like Burt's Bees, Toms of Maine & Aveda (division of Estee Lauder, FWIW) were among our customers.

Bottom line ... though the above 3 companies take their claims very seriously, their products are not that different from those of the multinational PC mfrs. like P&G, Colgate, J&J, L'Oreal, etc. As alluded to above, The "all natural" mfrs succeed due to "feel-good" marketing. In exchange for a higher price, the consumer enjoys the idea that all ingredients are "natural botanical extracts", etc.

I'll just say that if you want to get dirt and oil off your skin/hair, it's going to require a surfactant. Most of the commodity surfactants (sodium laurel sulfate, cocoamidopropyl betaine, cocoamide MEA,, etc.) come from tropical extracts (i.e: coconut oil). production of the actual surfactants is a chemical process performed in a reactor with petrochemical reagents like ethylene oxide. BTW ... Toothpase typically does not use sugar ... instead, most use sodium saccharine (yup, remember cancerous lab rats) at approx 0.2% as the sweetener.

My company makes thickeners "derived from natural cellulose". virtually ALL toothpaste uses sodium carboxymethylcellulose (CMC) as the primary thickener. This is a food ingredient (check your ice cream labels), has been for 60 years, and is perfectly safe. The FDA name is "cellulose gum". Sounds better, no. You get the idea.

I say if you want the "feel-safe" mentality, stick with Ivory soap and J&J baby shampoo, but by all means, watch out for dihydrogen monoxide on the labels.

#17 of 60 Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,529 posts

Posted September 02 2005 - 03:45 AM

Notice he said nothing about flouride, hmmmm? I'm with Gen. Ripper, this guy's a commie pinko like all the other marketing people.Posted Image

#18 of 60 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,423 posts

Posted September 02 2005 - 04:01 AM

I agree with the comments from Joe and Scott. "Naturalness" is way overrated. Our "natural" state is hairy, unbathed, dirty teeth, cold in the winter, hot in the summer, and naked. Who clamors for all that?

#19 of 60 SarahG

SarahG

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted September 02 2005 - 04:35 AM

...but is it true that some of the products that claim to be all-natural may, in fact, contain more natural ingredients than many other products on the market? My perception of all-natural may be skewed, but I guess it comes down to a matter of what products people prefer over others. The feel, smell, and preference of certain "all-natural" products are different than other products that do not claim to be all natural. I have noticed that. Some people react to ingredients in those products favorably and some don't.

I'm at least going to try some of the Burt's stuff to see how I like it. I'll take a look at the ingredients when I get them.

#20 of 60 Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel

Second Unit

• 471 posts

Posted September 02 2005 - 04:40 AM

please dont take this negatively ... but you "really WANT to believe in this stuff", dont ya?
That's all they need ....

It's perfectly OK ... I sometimes buy "Fiji" water because I like the bottles.

Forum Nav Content I Follow