What's new

MSCL, O&A are out: where are thirtysomething and Relativity? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Looks like we may (finally!) have Once & Again complete sometime early next year (or sooner), so who else would be interested in Herskovitz*

and Zwick's two other TV series? I've never seen either, but based on the quality of MSCL and O&A, I'd be up for a blind buy on these two.

Steven Good

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steven
I'll pick up all seasons of thirtysomething on day of release...no sale, no coupon necessary. Just waiting to give someone my money.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I was going to ask about THIRTYSOMETHING. I didn't really watch the first few seasons, but really got into it in the final. And with the Miles character in a few episodes of ONCE AND AGAIN, got thinking about it.

As for RELATIVITY, I starting watching it, but it wasn't up to the others for me. Still, I'd definitely give it another shot on DVD.

After doing the teens with MSCL, 20s with RELATIVITY, 30s with 30 SOMETHING, 40's with O&A, when are they going to do a show about 50 somethings?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'm wondering who has the rights to the MIA shows? Relativity is only one season AFAIK, so it wouldn't be a big investment, even if the quality isn't up to par.

As for shows about older generations, that could get interesting, but I don't know how much of a TV audience it would draw.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
Because I loved both "My So Called Life" and "Once & Again", I would definitely rent "Thirty Something" if it came out on DVD. Matter of fact it's the one show I keep hoping I'll see a news bite about on TVShowsOnDVD.com. So far, no luck. :frowning:

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'm wondering who has the rights to the MIA shows?
Aren't they all ABC / Bedford Falls shows? MSCL and O&A were. I don't know about 30, but RELATIVITY was between those two so it might be the same. That would mean Disney had the rights to them.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
They are Bedford Falls AFAIK, but MSCL was released though BMG (in a roundabout way), while O&A is Buena Vista. Whoever holds the rights, I hope the other two series are considered for release soon.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I believe that when 30something aired in reruns on Bravo that it didn't do as well as expected. Perhaps this has made the studio that owns it reluctant to invest in a DVD release. Personally, I prefer the later seasons of the show when they dealt with one character's illness and another's exit. Hope I'm not giving away anything to those who haven't seen it.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Just done a forum search for the TV series thirtysomething and found just this thread. I'm surprised no one has posted about the DVD releases from Shout! Factory. The first season was released to buy on Region 1 in April 2009, the second season was released in January this year, and the third season is out on 11th May.

LizH

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Jon Martin /forum/thread/219943/mscl-o-a-are-out-where-are-thirtysomething-and-relativity#post_2641511
After doing the teens with MSCL, 20s with RELATIVITY, 30s with 30 SOMETHING, 40's with O&A, when are they going to do a show about 50 somethings?
Originally Posted by Jeff Ulmer /forum/thread/219943/mscl-o-a-are-out-where-are-thirtysomething-and-relativity#post_2641701
As for shows about older generations, that could get interesting, but I don't know how much of a TV audience it would draw.
***cough*** "Golden Girls" ***cough***

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
thirtysomething must not be popular on HTF (same with the Law & Order shows).

With the third season being released in the spring on Region 1 then maybe the remainder of the series will be released by Shout! Factory before the end of the year.

Steven Good

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steven
Season 3 this May, and I think season 4 in September. I can't wait. Some snow days gave me the change to plow through seasons 1 and 2 that I'd had on the shelf since I picked them up at release time. As good as I remember and great package from Shout Factory.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by WaveCrest /forum/thread/219943/mscl-o-a-are-out-where-are-thirtysomething-and-relativity#post_3670503
thirtysomething must not be popular on HTF (same with the Law & Order shows).
With the third season being released in the spring on Region 1 then maybe the remainder of the series will be released by Shout! Factory before the end of the year.
Serious dramas don't get nearly the amount of traffic here as dopey sci fi/fantasy shows, insipid sitcoms or cartoons/kids shows.

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
Danny, you are absolutely correct. They also don't sell as well. Thirtysomething is too self-indulgent and stilted for my taste, but your general point is spot-on.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Steven Good /forum/thread/219943/mscl-o-a-are-out-where-are-thirtysomething-and-relativity#post_3670541
Season 3 this May, and I think season 4 in September. I can't wait. Some snow days gave me the change to plow through seasons 1 and 2 that I'd had on the shelf since I picked them up at release time. As good as I remember and great package from Shout Factory.
What is the picture/print quality like? I remember seeing bits of thirtysomething when Channel 4 showed it in the UK (and this was many years before More 4 and E4 started). I think it may have had a similar look to it which Dallas, Falcon Crest and Knots Landing had during the mid to late 80's.

LizH

Second Unit
Originally Posted by ToddR2 /forum/thread/219943/mscl-o-a-are-out-where-are-thirtysomething-and-relativity#post_3670759
Danny, you are absolutely correct. They also don't sell as well. Thirtysomething is too self-indulgent and stilted for my taste, but your general point is spot-on.
"Self-Indulgent" ...
That was pretty much the 80's in a nutshell. lol

Steven Good

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steven
After three seasons of thirtysomething releases with audio commentaries and great interviews...

this 4th (final) season release--an Amazon exclusive--contains no extras save for a quick intro from the creators. No episode commentaries! And with so many crucial episodes story-wise!

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The first season of thirtysomething is being released on DVD in the UK by Revelation Films, with a release date of Monday 26th November (source: Amazon UK and Play.com).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks