What's new

Opinons on Dell W4200 (1 Viewer)

Daman

Second Unit
Has anyone had experience with this particular Dell? Would this be better than the Panasonics on market. There is decent pricing for this from Sams Club. The more i search the more i get confused :-D This one seems to have all the inputs as well as user friendliness than the Panny..

Here are the features as listed from the website.

Picture Display:

Brightness (typical): 420 cd/m2 (typical)
Contrast Ratio: 2300:1
Native Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
PIP, POP, PBP, PC graphics on PC graphics; video on PC graphics; video on video
Horizontal Viewing Angle +/- 80 degrees
Vertical Viewing Angle +/- 80 degrees
DNX® by Pixelworks video processing technology for crisp, clear images with fast-paced action video
Digital TV Capability: 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i

Sound:
40 watt detachable speakers provide a phenomenal SRS® TruSurround XT virtual surround sound experience—ideal for the ultimate high definition home theater experience
Convenience:

HD-Built in Television designed for your living room or media room
Thin profile—at 3.3" thick—allowing an easy fit in armoires or mount on a wall (with optional wall mount)
Tuner, Reception, Transmission:

Two tuners; 1 analog (NTSC) and 1 dual analog/digital (ATSC/NTSC)
Connectivity:

Audio-Video inputs:

2 Component, 3 Composite, 2 S-Video, HDMI and 7 RCA Audio) as well as PC inputs (VGA, DVI-CE and PC Audio
Audio/Video Input Signal (side):

Composite (1); S-Video (1) ; Audio (RCA L+R) (1)
Audio/Video Input Signal (back):

Composite (2); S-Video (2); Component (2); TV In/Coax(1); Audio (RCA L+R) (7); DVI-HDCP (1, shared with PC); HDMI (1)
Audio/Video Output Signal (back):

Composite (1); Audio, user-selectable fixed or variable (RCA L+R) (1); subwoofer (1)
Dimensions and Weight:

System Viewable Area: 36.7" x 21.0"
System Dimensions (without speakers or stand): 24.8"H x 40.6"W x 3.3"D
Dimensions (system with stand): 28"H x 40.6"W x 9.75"D
Dimensions (system with stand, speakers and speaker stands attached): 28"H x 51.9"W x 9.75"D
Display Weight (without stand):75 lbs.
Display Weight (with stand): 92.6 lbs.
Display Weight (with stand plus speakers): 98.9 lbs.
Included:

Remote control
Wall mount
Installation Hardware
Installation Manual
Cables Included

Power Cord
Coaxial
DVI Cable
VGA Cable

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Go over to AVS there is a huge thread about this plasma. One of our Moderators has had one for a while and recently said he cannot recommend it. Loud buzzing is just one of many problems people have had with this thing. Some people have gone through 5 or 6 before they found one they could live with.

No it is not better than Panasonic. Far fewer problems with Panasonic. The specs read nice, but after you read some of the post over at AVS you will probably buy something else.

Daman

Second Unit
Thanks Arthur, I have been reading up posts at AVS but i think i missed that one out. If this doesnt do then the new Panny 42" HD unit for almost same choice would be my choice. Only thing is that the Panny is an industrial model and the bells and whistles on this Dell looked better than that but PQ is my foremost priority.
Thanks once again!
Regards
Daman

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Geez Daman, we're practically neighbors. I'm about 30 minutes from Scranton.
Going back to the subject, I have seen the Dell Plasma in person and frankly, I was disappointed. HD looked lacking compared to my old 65" Toshiba CRT. Considering a bigger set should magnify flaws, mine was indeed better with the Dell pic being a bit blotchy and not as sharp. Maybe it needed a little tweaking but I wasn't about to mess with it as my friend was showing it off.
I'm also in the market for a 42 inch for the bedroom. The Panasonic plasmas have dropped in price and seem to have the "aye's" right now. I even saw at Visual Apex the Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK at less than $2500 delivered. It sure comes very close to my budget right now.
Please let us know which one u picked out....

Daman

Second Unit
Hey Eric,
I think you are spot on with the Visual apex thing and theres where ive been tending to go to.. The Panny you mentioned is pretty much what i think ill finalize, i may need to add the HDMI slot later on.. and thats within my budget as well. Really was hoping though that the Dell would be better. Regarding Scranton, i just moved a couple of months back to Nashua,NH(guess i should update my profile here).. otherwise i would have loved to meet up and check out the HT and watch a movie or two :) Meeting a HT enthusiast in that area was pretty rare thing for me.. Let me know what you decide on as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks