-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Do books on directors help get their movies on DVD?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,142 posts

Posted August 30 2005 - 01:18 AM

There has been lots of verified and unverified talk about Anchor Bay reissuing a batch of Mario Bava films, and it seems to me that there is an unofficial plan to time it to the release of Tim Lucas' long-awaited tome on Bava ALL THE COLORS OF THE DARK. Obviously, this is not a book that's going to burn up the New York Times chart (though in a perfect world, it would), but it is safe to say that if the book sells well it sends a message to Anchor Bay that there are Bava fans out there with disposable income.
Do the studios pay attention to publishing in such a manner as to have releases ready when a book is released? I'm beginning to think that maybe the best way to get some favorite unreleased titles out there is to have a book about them as a bully pulpit. For example, I'm seriously thinking about writing a book on Peter Collinson just to try forcing some of his hard-to-see films onto DVD, especially his four unreleased Paramount titles (THE PENTHOUSE, UP THE JUNCTION, THE LONG DAYS DYING, and INNOCENT BYSTANDERS).
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal